Downgrading from 3.5t to equi trek day treka

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with the new day treka. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on old threads but want to know what the build quality is like now, which dealers people recommend and general thoughts.
I have a car that can put 2500kg (new trailers unladen is 1095kg) I will be travelling 1 horse (17hh CB) most of the time and occasionally 1 horse and 1 pony.

I have a 3.5t but weight means it definitely can’t take 2 so looking to sell and don’t want to be paying out in 2sets of tax, not etc.

I have an old Ifor and don’t want another as I want somewhere to put tack rather than the back if my car.

Also looking at cheval liberte touring country with the lack ‘room’ at the front but I don’t think it will fit a chunky 17hh.

Thoughts??

Bayracer

Visit site
I have a slightly older day treka (10 years old) and absolutely love it. I used to have a ifor William before but struggled with no storage etc. It is so much easier with the show treka as majority of things that you just need for show days I leave I’m there and having somewhere to get changed or sit in out the rain is so much nicer.
I can’t drive a over 3.5ton without doing another test so this was a good solution for me as when I looked at 3.5toj lorries they are so expensive for what you get and also you don’t get nearly as much weight capacity.
The only down side is they are very heavy trailers, whereas the ifor you can pull round and manoeuvre on your own you can’t do that with an equitrek, also it is a long trailer but I do tow with a pickup so I found it was very long combination to begin with. I have had my trailer about 5 years now and it is very well used in the summer and long distances yet never had a single problem mechanically or structurally with it. I do get it serviced every year though but that’s just my peace of mind.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'll be interested in any info on this too - I love the look & concept of the storage, but cant see anything about whether the 'newer' shape are any better made than the older ones.

What I do know though is those Cheval Countries are a squeeze to get anything over 16hh out past the tack storage bit, my friend is selling hers for this reason, I also bought a huge Bockmann which I loved & was supposed to take up to 17hh & my 16.2 was a squeeze - so I had to sell & now looking again!

Green Bean

Visit site
I have gone the other way. I sold my IW511 and bought a 3.5t box. I was seriously looking at the Day Treka as it seemed to tick all the boxes for storage, side loading and horses rear facing. I was quite concerned with how expensive a new / one year old Day Treka was though. I would have bought the Day Treka if it wasn't for my horse being a nervous nellie in a trailer.
Another thing to think of is resale value, not sure how well the equitrek trailers hold their value. As an example, I bought my IW511 second hand but hardly used for £4,000 and after 5 years of use, sold it for £4,500.

Visit site
I'll be interested in any info on this too - I love the look & concept of the storage, but cant see anything about whether the 'newer' shape are any better made than the older ones.

What I do know though is those Cheval Countries are a squeeze to get anything over 16hh out past the tack storage bit, my friend is selling hers for this reason, I also bought a huge Bockmann which I loved & was supposed to take up to 17hh & my 16.2 was a squeeze - so I had to sell & now looking again!
I have a slightly older day treka (10 years old) and absolutely love it. I used to have a ifor William before but struggled with no storage etc. It is so much easier with the show treka as majority of things that you just need for show days I leave I’m there and having somewhere to get changed or sit in out the rain is so much nicer.
I can’t drive a over 3.5ton without doing another test so this was a good solution for me as when I looked at 3.5toj lorries they are so expensive for what you get and also you don’t get nearly as much weight capacity.
The only down side is they are very heavy trailers, whereas the ifor you can pull round and manoeuvre on your own you can’t do that with an equitrek, also it is a long trailer but I do tow with a pickup so I found it was very long combination to begin with. I have had my trailer about 5 years now and it is very well used in the summer and long distances yet never had a single problem mechanically or structurally with it. I do get it serviced every year though but that’s just my peace of mind.
Sorry for sounding stupid but why can’t you do it by yourself? (I travel alone so need something I manoeuvre by myself)

how do you find towing the equi trek in the wind?

Visit site
I have gone the other way. I sold my IW511 and bought a 3.5t box. I was seriously looking at the Day Treka as it seemed to tick all the boxes for storage, side loading and horses rear facing. I was quite concerned with how expensive a new / one year old Day Treka was though. I would have bought the Day Treka if it wasn't for my horse being a nervous nellie in a trailer.
Another thing to think of is resale value, not sure how well the equitrek trailers hold their value. As an example, I bought my IW511 second hand but hardly used for £4,000 and after 5 years of use, sold it for £4,500.
Agree with resale value, my 3.5t which I’m going to sell will be advertised for roughly the same price I paid for it 5years ago. I would buy a second hand day treka but want specific extras like the loading light and higher partition

Bayracer

Visit site
Sorry for sounding stupid but why can’t you do it by yourself? (I travel alone so need something I manoeuvre by myself)

how do you find towing the equi trek in the wind?
With my ifor I used to be able to pull it round or turn it after I had unhitched if I needed. Whereas the equitrek is too heavy for me to move manually. But hitched up I’ve never had a problem.
As for towing in the wind I’ve never found it worse than any other trailer.

Visit site
With my ifor I used to be able to pull it round or turn it after I had unhitched if I needed. Whereas the equitrek is too heavy for me to move manually. But hitched up I’ve never had a problem.
As for towing in the wind I’ve never found it worse than any other trailer.
Oh I see! I can’t move the Ifor by myself ?

Britestar

Visit site
I have a 2019 night trekka.
Absolutely love it. Its the new style and tows like a dream.
Prior to that I had a 2004 show trekka which did nearly 80,000 miles.
Other than a twit horse having a tantrum in it, resulting in a new side it never let me down.
Make sure you have a good service person and get it serviced yearly.

Esmae

Visit site

They are really heavy, so physically you need the strength of 10 men to manoeuvre them manually. Impossible on your own. It's hitching up that I found the biggest issue. If the ball and hitch aren't perfectly aligned you can't move the trailer that inch or so which you can with an Ifor or similar.

Kaylum

Visit site
Older equi treks are not good for build quality. They fair best being kept under cover. I bought one which was 12 years old not used much but still needed quite a bit of work. It was a show one and needed a pick up to tow it.