Downplating a trailer

Palindrome

Visit site
if you are on a B license, you need to have maximum weight of car plus maximum weight of trailer below 3500 kg.

popsdosh

Visit site
Yes, so why do you need to downplate, rather than just make sure the load is less than 3.5t?

Because it is not the actual weight you are towing that decides but the weight in theory the trailer is legally capable of towing . you also have to be aware of the towing vehiclers maximum permissable mass as this may we well above its actual weight.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Because it is not the actual weight you are towing that decides but the weight in theory the trailer is legally capable of towing . you also have to be aware of the towing vehiclers maximum permissable mass as this may we well above its actual weight.

Agree, if your car cannot pull the max your trailer can pull, you must down plate to this max that you can legally tow at - its illegal if not.

For example, At the time our trailer could carry a max load of 1400 KG, but as our car could only pull 1300KG we had to down plate our trailer to 1300KG - this is then legal ( its regardless of what weight you actually intend to tow)

Hope that helps

ROG

Visit site
Licences allow a driver to drive certain vehicles and if those vehicles have no more than a total of 9 seats then the plated weight determines what a driver is allowed to drive legally on the categories they have on their licence

Vehicles with more than 9 seats total are in the PCV categories

If we allowed it to go on actual weights then chaos would ensue because a LGV C1 rigid lorry driver who is limited to 7.5 tonnes might then be able to drive an empty 4 axle LGV rigid lorry

In all but B towing cases the driver must have a +E on the category to tow a trailer over 750 kg plated MAM

B towing is an exception as it allows a driver to tow over 750 kg with the proviso that the total of the plated weights do not exceed 3500 kg
I do not think many would want the authorities to remove that exception and make it so that any B driver must get +E to tow over 750

ROG

Visit site
Agree, if your car cannot pull the max your trailer can pull, you must down plate to this max that you can legally tow at - its illegal if not.

For example, At the time our trailer could carry a max load of 1400 KG, but as our car could only pull 1300KG we had to down plate our trailer to 1300KG - this is then legal ( its regardless of what weight you actually intend to tow)

Hope that helps
INCORRECT - you down plated a trailer for nothing !

A driver can legally have a trailer plated at 3000 with a towing capacity of 2000 - if the trailer weighs 1000 empty then they can load the trailer with a max of 1000

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to accommodate the trailer plated MAM
Plenty of internet myths on this subject though ............

Here is a legal B licence towing set up
Car
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1300

Trailer
Plated MAM 1500
empty weight 500
Loaded with 800 max

Last edited:

dollyanna

Visit site
So ROG, maybe I missed it, but what is the purpose of downplating a trailer then? Is it purely for B only licenses who have no desire to tow more than 750kg at any point?

ROG

Visit site
So ROG, maybe I missed it, but what is the purpose of downplating a trailer then? Is it purely for B only licenses who have no desire to tow more than 750kg at any point?
There are generally only two reasons to down plate a trailer

One is to keep the total of the plated weights less than 3500 to keep it out of EU tacho regs but the main one is to keep the total plated MAM weight under 3500 for B licence towing

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Can someone explain to me the purpose of downplating a trailer please?

It would be a good idea to so so if your car can tow for instance 2 tonnes but your trailer which weighs 1.1 tonnes and only carries one horse weighing 600kgs yet the trailer is rated to carry 2.8 tonnes. (All weights made up!)

Down plating it would mean if you got stopped by vosa or the police you could have less issues than if it stated a higher rate than your vehicle can legally tow. BUT if you down rate then over load you would be in trouble and they also may weigh you anyway depending on the load you have on and their mood that day.

This is anecdotal but I have been told that no one has been convinced in court of towing within their vehicles limits despite the trailer being capable of towing more and it stating that. Many many many vehicles will be towing trailers with a higher weight than what they are actually carrying. If stopped and charged I have been told you need to insist on being weighed to prove you are under weight and aren't breaking the law and then go to court to challenge it. Obviously it would be simpler to down plate the trailer to potentially avoid this, and IW will do this for free via the dealer.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
INCORRECT - you down plated a trailer for nothing !

A driver can legally have a trailer plated at 3000 with a towing capacity of 2000 - if the trailer weighs 1000 empty then they can load the trailer with a max of 1000

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to accommodate the trailer plated MAM
Plenty of internet myths on this subject though ............

Here is a legal B licence towing set up
Car
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1300

Trailer
Plated MAM 1500
empty weight 500
Loaded with 800 max

ROG Thank you for the information (when we bought the trailer this is what we were advised by the trailer dealership)

I'm sure you don't mean this, but I am finding your responses a touch sharp

ROG

Visit site
ROG Thank you for the information (when we bought the trailer this is what we were advised by the trailer dealership)

I'm sure you don't mean this, but I am finding your responses a touch sharp
Apologies if it seemed a bit sharp - I think I am getting fed up with so called experts advising punters such as your trailer dealership with incorrect info when they should know better

I wonder if that dealership is still giving out the wrong info ? ................

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Apologies if it seemed a bit sharp - I think I am getting fed up with so called experts advising punters such as your trailer dealership with incorrect info when they should know better

I wonder if that dealership is still giving out the wrong info ? ................

Thank you I appreciate it, When I take it back for its service I'll ask them :)

ROG

Visit site
It would be a good idea to so so if your car can tow for instance 2 tonnes but your trailer which weighs 1.1 tonnes and only carries one horse weighing 600kgs yet the trailer is rated to carry 2.8 tonnes. (All weights made up!)

Down plating it would mean if you got stopped by vosa or the police you could have less issues than if it stated a higher rate than your vehicle can legally tow. BUT if you down rate then over load you would be in trouble and they also may weigh you anyway depending on the load you have on and their mood that day.

This is anecdotal but I have been told that no one has been convinced in court of towing within their vehicles limits despite the trailer being capable of towing more and it stating that. Many many many vehicles will be towing trailers with a higher weight than what they are actually carrying. If stopped and charged I have been told you need to insist on being weighed to prove you are under weight and aren't breaking the law and then go to court to challenge it. Obviously it would be simpler to down plate the trailer to potentially avoid this, and IW will do this for free via the dealer.
VOSA now DVSA or the cops will never have an issue where the plated trailer MAM is more than the vehicle towing capacity or the GVW and trailer MAM add up to more than the GTW.
The reason is that ALL weight laws span all vehicle classes so if the plated weights had to fit in with max actual weights (towing capacity and GTW) then virtually every time a LGV came to change trailers they would need replating !!

The authorities that matter are very conversant with the weight and licence laws

IW charge about £50 to down plate one of their trailers - this can be confirmed by calling or emailing them

The weight laws are quite simple
Do not exceed
Vehicle GVW = max it can be when fully loaded
Trailer plated MAM = max it can be when fully loaded
GTW = max actual weight of both vehicle and trailer when weighed together
Towing capacity = max actual weight it has been designed to tow
comply with all of those and it legal weight wise

With the above complied with the authorities now look at the driving licence to see if the driver is entitled to drive the combination

I do not wish to seem unkind but is stating something as a fact then it might be prudent to triple check before posting as such - no harm is stating it as an opinion

Last edited:

Henry02

Visit site
Two stupid questions... Don't know if ROG can help!

What do you do if your trailer has no information plate on it? Mines that old it's worn away/dropped off. I have no intentions of downplating it. The manufacturer is no longer in existence.

Second is it legal to tow a "larger" trailer with a smaller car (assuming you have b+e), ie my trailer is designed for two large horses, but I will only ever tow one. I know the rough weight of my trailer and horse, this is within the towing capacity of a Mondeo. However the trailer has the "potential" to take more. Can I still tow it with a Mondeo etc?

ROG

Visit site
Two stupid questions... Don't know if ROG can help!

What do you do if your trailer has no information plate on it? Mines that old it's worn away/dropped off. I have no intentions of downplating it. The manufacturer is no longer in existence.

Second is it legal to tow a "larger" trailer with a smaller car (assuming you have b+e), ie my trailer is designed for two large horses, but I will only ever tow one. I know the rough weight of my trailer and horse, this is within the towing capacity of a Mondeo. However the trailer has the "potential" to take more. Can I still tow it with a Mondeo etc?
No weight plate then the total of the tyre load ratings = the MAM

You have conformed to the towing capacity (actual weight) the vehicle has been designed to tow so all is ok legally

dollyanna

Visit site
I think Henry has just asked my question, if my train weight is fine and the vehicle can tow the weight required, it doesn't matter if the trailer can take more weight if I never use that extra capacity?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
VOSA now DVSA or the cops will never have an issue where the plated trailer MAM is more than the vehicle towing capacity or the GVW and trailer MAM add up to more than the GTW.
The reason is that ALL weight laws span all vehicle classes so if the plated weights had to fit in with max actual weights (towing capacity and GTW) then virtually every time a LGV came to change trailers they would need replating !!

The authorities that matter are very conversant with the weight and licence laws

IW charge about £50 to down plate one of their trailers - this can be confirmed by calling or emailing them

The weight laws are quite simple
Do not exceed
Vehicle GVW = max it can be when fully loaded
Trailer plated MAM = max it can be when fully loaded
GTW = max actual weight of both vehicle and trailer when weighed together
Towing capacity = max actual weight it has been designed to tow
comply with all of those and it legal weight wise

With the above complied with the authorities now look at the driving licence to see if the driver is entitled to drive the combination

I do not wish to seem unkind but is stating something as a fact then it might be prudent to triple check before posting as such - no harm is stating it as an opinion

Eh, what bit are you arguing with me about. My comments are real life situations not what the law actually says. Quite often police and vosa make mistakes, I can assure you. Furthermore you will find I started most of my message with the proviso "this is anecdotal"
(- meaning of anecdotal (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.)

The first part of my message is based MY experience.

Here's another true story.

Last week police stopped me for having a broken spring on my flatbed trailer. I said to the policeman, really, a broken spring?? He said yes, we can see it dragging along the ground with our head lights.

I said that's really odd it feels completely fine. No he says, *the trailer is totally down at one side*.

I've had a broken spring before. You know about it.

So I got out the vehicle and went to the back of the trailer. Shone my torch on the "broken spring" to find out it's actually the tail end of a ratchet strap dragging harmlessly along the ground. 1 minute and it's tidied up. The trailer was not *totally down at one side* this was a figment of their imaginations. So too was the broken spring. It's clear to me, someone who has no mechanic training whatsoever, that a broken metal spring would have been sparking off the road and making a lot more noise and damage than a material tail end of a ratchet strap. Further more it would be completely impossible for the spring to break and then effectively turn over and be in the position they were claiming it was in.

No one knows everything.

ROG

Visit site
Eh, what bit are you arguing with me about. My comments are real life situations not what the law actually says. Quite often police and vosa make mistakes, I can assure you. Furthermore you will find I started most of my message with the proviso "this is anecdotal"
(- meaning of anecdotal (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.)

The first part of my message is based MY experience.

Here's another true story.

Last week police stopped me for having a broken spring on my flatbed trailer. I said to the policeman, really, a broken spring?? He said yes, we can see it dragging along the ground with our head lights.

I said that's really odd it feels completely fine. No he says, *the trailer is totally down at one side*.

I've had a broken spring before. You know about it.

So I got out the vehicle and went to the back of the trailer. Shone my torch on the "broken spring" to find out it's actually the tail end of a ratchet strap dragging harmlessly along the ground. 1 minute and it's tidied up. The trailer was not *totally down at one side* this was a figment of their imaginations. So too was the broken spring. It's clear to me, someone who has no mechanic training whatsoever, that a broken metal spring would have been sparking off the road and making a lot more noise and damage than a material tail end of a ratchet strap. Further more it would be completely impossible for the spring to break and then effectively turn over and be in the position they were claiming it was in.

No one knows everything.
Apologies if I have mis-read your post.