Downsizing - HGV to 4.5t 2 Horse

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Anyone swopped from big lorry to something smaller such as 3.5/4.5t or car/trailer? If so how did you find it and any regrets etc.

At that point where no longer wishing to do away shows and only have two horses, rarely take both at once. I am fortunate enough to have all the categories on my licence that would allow me to tow a caravan or trailer behind a 3.5/4.5t little lorry.

My thoughts are I would have the convenience and lower running cost of a small lorry but still the capacity to cater for away shows if I ever feel the urge to do them again.

Any views, good or not so?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am doing the same as you. I have driven BIG HGV transporters at work, and had a 12.5 tonne HGV at home, nice and big. Then, with the advent of tightening up on driver's hours we swapped for a 7.5 tonne. That was OK, but I must say I am now feeling my age and injuries and am swapping for a 3.5 tonne.

I am looking forward to the ease of the smaller wagon. I do think I will miss the overnight facilities, but TBH I think we have used the hob maybe half a dozen times in 6 years, and the bed only twice!!!! The other bonus will be the cheaper fuel costs.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
We sound like we are in similar situation! Part of me says I will miss the space and ease of working out of the big truck (no tack lockers makes it a doddle!). I have used the living and done some stay away shows along with trips abroad. The reality is I now do day shows where I never use the living, other than to get changed, find the ramp heavy and fuel cost enormous.

I am looking at a professional/stud box layout that has full height doors that open into small tack area, that way I can still access the horses individually to put bridles etc on making it all very accessible but safe way to travel them as no where for them to try and climb out!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am have just sold my 7.5 ton.
I am thinking of perhaps getting a box built on a 7 ton van chassis as they give a better payload than a 7.5 ton truck.

ROG

Visit site
A note on licencing laws -

Those with just a C1 (or C) can only tow 750 kgs plated MAM trailer

Those with a pre 1997 C1+E 107 code can only tow a combination where the vehicle GVW added to the trailer plated MAM (or caravan MTPLM) does not total more than 8250 kg

If the total of GVW and MAM (or MTPLM) adds up to more than 7500 then it comes into full EU tacho regs

Licences and tacho laws work on plated weights not actual weights

OWLIE185

Visit site
I do not like the 3.5 tom trucks at all as they offer far less protection to the horse in the event of a collision as they are lower on the ground, less strongly built and are less stable.
One can get some very nice and compact 7.5 ton vehicles. (Mine is only 18 feet long from front to back) with a wheel base of 12 feet (distance from front to rear axle) Their short wheel base makes it very manouverable. It will also carry 3 horses and has a payload in excess of 3 tons.

Red-1

Visit site
I do not like the 3.5 tom trucks at all as they offer far less protection to the horse in the event of a collision as they are lower on the ground, less strongly built and are less stable.
One can get some very nice and compact 7.5 ton vehicles. (Mine is only 18 feet long from front to back) with a wheel base of 12 feet (distance from front to rear axle) Their short wheel base makes it very manouverable. It will also carry 3 horses and has a payload in excess of 3 tons.

I did wrestle with the fear of not having such a big box in case of collision, and I think you are right that the big wagons will hold up better. Safety is one of my big things, I even drive a big Volvo myself! However, I have a back and hip injury, which makes me need an automatic, and although you can get auto big boxes, I am also attracted to the ease of everything in a small box. Even climbing up into the big box is not easy, especially when carrying a saddle.

I also rationalise that as the horses travel backwards in a smaller box, the most usual type of collision involves sudden heavy braking, and the horse is better able to cope with the forces there when he is balancing along his front/back axis rather than being thrown sideways.

We sound like we are in similar situation! Part of me says I will miss the space and ease of working out of the big truck (no tack lockers makes it a doddle!). I have used the living and done some stay away shows along with trips abroad. The reality is I now do day shows where I never use the living, other than to get changed, find the ramp heavy and fuel cost enormous.

I am looking at a professional/stud box layout that has full height doors that open into small tack area, that way I can still access the horses individually to put bridles etc on making it all very accessible but safe way to travel them as no where for them to try and climb out!

This ^^^^

My horse would see a breast bar as an activity centre! I have a Bloomfields Professional on order, will be ready in less than a month now, but I have had to wait out the waiting list. Having looked at the alternatives I decided that it is worth the wait. In fact we went to see my new chassis when it came in and a new employee they have taken on is my husband. He liked the company and wanted work 3 weeks ago when we visited, so I guess that is a case of right place right time! Up to then we had no connection with the company other than liking the boxes :)

The design seemed the safest to me, a stud box design, with option to exit the horse out the back in emergency. The safety features seemed good too. Plus I have Air Bags for me, and a safety cage for him.

Red-1

Visit site
A note on licencing laws -

Those with just a C1 (or C) can only tow 750 kgs plated MAM trailer

Those with a pre 1997 C1+E 107 code can only tow a combination where the vehicle GVW added to the trailer plated MAM (or caravan MTPLM) does not total more than 8250 kg

If the total of GVW and MAM (or MTPLM) adds up to more than 7500 then it comes into full EU tacho regs

Licences and tacho laws work on plated weights not actual weights

That was one of my other considerations, in the dim and distant past I have done 3 day, and if we were to do so again (although doubtful with my back- but you never know), then I would miss the living.

Then I rationalised that as I hold the HGV Class 1, I would be able to hitch up a caravan and go. :)

I doubt that I will ever actually DO that, but it as nice to know that if I am relatively local I have cheaper diesel and an easier form or transport, and if I go further and more seriously my transport can still adapt. Apparently the Renault Master van that I have will easily tow as well as hold my horse.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I drive a 3.5 ton which has a payload of 1.3 and I tow a small two bed caravan, I have the classification to do it legaly(I am old!!)
Ave done a few short trips, and I fitted a reversing camera to help with hitching up, but I found it to be my solution to a large lorry, where I would have no place to park it anyway. First big trip this Friday from n Wales to rugby...

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
This is us!!!
75aecb7c6b25930ef8bd8da012542a4e.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Have gone over the years from:
Tiny 2 horse lorry in the early 80's,
to 7.5t (various)
to class 2 38ft 6 horse for 5 or 6 yrs (Have class 1)
then after a few years back to 7.5,
then a 5.5,
and currently have a 3.5 Movano, tho this has a tow bar so can pop caravan on the back if I need to :)

To be honest, the only ones I've had issue with were the very old 3.5's, the transit types with high bodies like the ifor's.
Current little box holds the road very well & handles well for anyone :)

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Worth mentioning that if it's only you staying away overnight (i.e no helpers) and you're under say 5ft6 then 3.5s are fine for overnight - just get some motorhome style silver window blinds, a small foam mattress and a sleeping bag and the cab turns into a cosy bunk. I have a little hob and sink at the very back of mine + take a portaloo so have done 3 nights away quite happily, you just need to build an extra half hour into your arrival to get everything cleaned and set up for living in.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Thanks everyone, some really good feedback. Red 1 I met your husband! I went to the factory on Wednesday, he started on the Monday.

It is a long waiting list for the one I want and I need to test the market with my big truck. If it sells I can always hire something or buy a lightweight trailer until truck is built.

I could camp on a 3.5t as I am short, already have a portaloo etc etc BUT a vehicle that size fits into car parks so could do hotel or B&B which as I get older becomes much more appealing :)