Dr Cooks Bitless Bridle - Are You Scared to Use?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Nah, sometimes when you first switch from bitted to bitless the horse will throw his head because he is still searching for the contact of the bit. Takes them a while before it clicks.. same as when you take it off they will open their mouth for the bit to come out for ages.

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Are the ears compulsory? Seriously though, thank you for all your experiences - it's quite a mixed bag of opinions.
If you're not happy using one of these, you shouldn't be riding.

Not really sure what you mean Pale Rider? I should only ride in a bitless or not at all or do you mean unless you are not 100% confident don't ride ever, with or without a bit? Can't quite decide if you approve of bits, Dr Cooks or only super experienced people being allowed to ride horses?

Neburu

Visit site
My pony hates it he rears in general when ridden and as soon as he had one of these on the rearing got a lot worse. I think there was too much pressure for him to cope with.

Pale Rider

Visit site
For me a rider needs to earn the right to use a bit. Very few have that right, judging by the way people at all levels haul about on horses mouths.
I like to start young horses in a rope headcollar or bosal. Bits should only be used in my view, when the rider can demonstrate an independent seat. It is impossible to have good hands without an independent seat.
All these things are so important to both horse and rider, which is why I believe that someone unhappy in a bitless bridle pre supposes they are relying on the bit too much.

Goldenstar

Visit site
For me I don't see a bitless bridle as kinder than a metal bit both are equally damaging if the rider is not well trained or they not apporiate for the horse or badly fitted.
I saw a lot of SJ'ers with damaged noses from bitless bridles when I was working.

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
For me a rider needs to earn the right to use a bit. Very few have that right, judging by the way people at all levels haul about on horses mouths.
I like to start young horses in a rope headcollar or bosal. Bits should only be used in my view, when the rider can demonstrate an independent seat. It is impossible to have good hands without an independent seat.
All these things are so important to both horse and rider, which is why I believe that someone unhappy in a bitless bridle pre supposes they are relying on the bit too much.

Thank you for your explanation and I agree with a lot of what you say. As the majority of riders on this forum have been brought up to ride with bits as the norm, it's slightly scary to move away from what we are used too, hence my original post.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I tried one on the bouncing cob! Thought as I don't have brakes with a bit I might have without. Good theory but he was still nuts, but for good measure he threw in a rear too (he never ever ever rears this was the first and only time!) so decided it's not for me. Instead invested time and money and ended up finding a bit which suits his flabby mouth and gave me the control needed without hurting him. I would prefer to ride bitless but it doesn't suit my horse so I don't. Try one in an enclosed area not as I did in a open yard with access to 3 miles of field tracks...whoops last seen gallopping towards the tracks leaving a trial of 'friends' laughing and pointing. :rolleyes:
I still really want to get on your lad, he looks and sounds so much fun! :D :p

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As the majority of riders on this forum have been brought up to ride with bits as the norm,

and the horses tbf. I would certainly be wanting to do plenty of ground work with one as I think after quite so many years mine would think the cues quite different to what he was used to.