Dr Cooks Bitless bridle

equibabe20

Visit site
Does anyone use one of these or know of anyone that does? im interested in buying one but i'd like to know what everyone thinks of them first.

PoppyPony

Visit site
if you're going for it for brakes DONT GO THERE
my old pony was okish in the school with it out hacking, but bolted off in the woods (hard ground) when hacking. i had to wait till a clearing so i could literally pull his head round in a circle. it was a miracle his legs were ok, spent ages hosing them afterwards.

equibabe20

Visit site
oh dear sounds a bit scary
frown.gif
ok i dont think i'll get one!

Blizzard

Visit site
They are pants in my opinion!

My friend makes bitless bridles, the much kinder type, and they are super, everyone who has tried them loves them and has seen a huge improvement in thier horses, from a grade A showjumper, to problem horses to happy hackers.

Hers are called free rein bridles, mine should be hear on thurs and i cant wait to use it!

excellent brakes and steering too!

Only heard bad things about Dr Cook.

Blizzard

Visit site
Yes she does, its: http://www.freerein.org.uk/

Its still in the development stages but Ive spoken to her in length about it and I know some of the horses that have tried it so far, one was a young girl who was scared to hack out alone as her pony felt all uptight and had no brakes, even with a harsh bit, since using the bridle the pony is totally chilled and the girl takes him everywhere.

My friend rides her horse who is very fast, strong and fizzy in one and a bareback pad, and always has control over him.

A know a grade A showjumper tried one and he said his mare was so much more responsive when schooling in it, and this mare woudl not turn right and didnt have very good breaks! Now she is much softer and relaxed.

she has made me one for free because i bought my mare from her and she used to ride her in one, and my mare was so much happier, she hates the bit and can be a cowbag too, and these bridles really chill her out because she isnt stressing about what is in her mouth, and you have much, much better breaks than with a bit, its all about pressure points, not pain and pinching.

Mine will be hre on thurs so I will be taking her straight out for a hack in it, so I will let you know how I get on!
grin.gif

dwi

Visit site
I love my dr cooke's. Bought one after being recommended it by a friend who has it for her TB type mare and really rates it.

it depends on what sort of breaks you need. My mare would lift her head to evade the bit and then rush off, she can't evade the action of the dr cooke's so she's stopped trying and we have beautifully calm hacks. We can now canter with others out on a hack and she doesn't try to overtake which is a complete turnaround.

She would ocassionally spook at something and try and bolt off but she doesn't do this anymore either, she might spook but will stop and stay where she is.

They aren't for eveyone but I would say try the free trial as I love mine and it might be for you.

dwi

Visit site
Having looked at the free rein website what is different between this and a dr cooke's? It seems to use the same cross pull system.

Not trying to criticise, just curious

Rupert2006

Visit site
I use a Dr Cook and I find it much better - my ned (TB) would throw his head up to evade the bit and would rush into transitions. With the Dr Cook he is much calmer - have hacked out in it no problems.

And yes, the free rein looks just the same as the Dr Cook - certainly seems to be using the same cross pull system.

Blizzard

Visit site
I know people whp have tried the Dr cook and found they had no brakes or steering with it , I think the free rein is made slightly differently with regards to the pressure points, around the poll and nose, im not sure exactly how they work but Ive know horses who wont settle in a Dr Cook seem to love them and the braking power is super.
My mare HATES the bit and will headshake, open her mouth, try and get her tongue over it etc, but one of these bitless bridles on and hse is happy as pie (and her teeth are fine LOL). She actually listens more because she isnt faffng about with the bit.

My new free rein will be here tomorrow so I will be straight out on a hack with it, so I will let you know what differences I see.

texel

Visit site
I have read this post with interest would like to say the following:

1. The alternative bridle mentioned works in the same way as Dr Cook's EXCEPT it is made of thin rope and has more ‘bite’ so could be classed as being a more severe version than Dr Cook's.
2. The alternative is probably in breach of the USA patent
3. A bad workman always blames his tools. If you are having problems stopping your horse you haven’t trained him correctly. You shouldn’t need to haul on the reins with all of your might you should use the ‘one rein stop’
4. Problems with usage of the BB arise from incorrect fitting and transition period from whatever was used before
5. No BB is a quick fix you can’t cover up bad horsemanship

I have been using the BB for 5 years, my horse had major behaviour issues and he has improved over the years. I am not causing my horse pain and interfering with his breathing, I have excellent brakes and steering.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Welsh_Cob - This was actually the model I tried - although I got this from Australia

Bitlessface_th.jpg

It does break the patent from Dr Cooks, so your friend will probably be shut down (worth warning her)

Texel - this is not a training issue, this is a strong hanoverian who doesn't particularly like stopping in a bit. However she works better in an equibridle than Dr Cooks. Every horse is different and that's why we need a range of methods.

In fact she was better in Monty Roberts Dually than the Dr Cook - maybe some horses don't appreciate their head being squeezed when you ask for a stop?

equibabe20

Visit site
I only asked what people think of the Dr Cooks BB i didn't ask for someone to tell me that I havn't trained my horse properly. That was not the reason I posted this I only wanted to know what people think of this bridle as I was intersted to see if it would be an option for my horse.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have read this post with interest would like to say the following:

1. The alternative bridle mentioned works in the same way as Dr Cook's EXCEPT it is made of thin rope and has more ‘bite’ so could be classed as being a more severe version than Dr Cook's.
2. The alternative is probably in breach of the USA patent
3. A bad workman always blames his tools. If you are having problems stopping your horse you haven’t trained him correctly. You shouldn’t need to haul on the reins with all of your might you should use the ‘one rein stop’
4. Problems with usage of the BB arise from incorrect fitting and transition period from whatever was used before
5. No BB is a quick fix you can’t cover up bad horsemanship

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a judgement you cannot make, you do not know this rider or horse and she hasnt even mentioned the exact extent of the problem. Diffrent things work for diffrent people the BB may have worked for your horse but may not work for others. Pickle is a prime example in the school he is a very good and behaves beautifully but when I first got him he was a bit mad out hacking yet at old yard fine, I put it down to not being used to cantering in open fields its not always "bad horsemanship"

Blizzard

Visit site
Cotswoldsj, yes my friend originally got her first bitless from australia and then altered a few things to make it her own style, she is currently getting it patented and has been told its different enough from the Dr Cook to be a style in its own right.
she was worried about that at first too I think. Apparantly it does work a bit differently to the Dr Cook too and looks a bit more headcollar-y to me.

Ive always used bitted bridles and it was my friend who showed me the difference the bitless bridles have had on her horses and others. Every horse is different of course and Im sure every bitless bridle is good in its own way, some horses just prefer one over the other I think.
smile.gif