DR lessons - quality vs quantity?

joolie

Visit site
As above really. Am I best having weekly lessons with someone who is good....or fortnightly/3 monthly lessons with someone slightly more pricey but I feel is excellent - we gain a bit more from the sessions? Bear in mind though I'm a bit 'lost' on my own in the school so need all the help I can get! :)

be positive

Visit site
I would say less often with the excellent trainer but with the aim to give you some tools to use to stop you getting lost on your own, the right trainer will give you, or should do, more understanding of how to work alone and what you are aiming for, there is little point in having lessons if you cannot put it into practise on your own.

Wheels

Visit site
Yes I'd go for better trainer slightly further apart and ask them to help you plan your sessions when you're on your own

leflynn

Visit site
I would say less often with the excellent trainer but with the aim to give you some tools to use to stop you getting lost on your own, the right trainer will give you, or should do, more understanding of how to work alone and what you are aiming for, there is little point in having lessons if you cannot put it into practise on your own.

This!

Tnavas

Visit site
If you are still at the stage where you feel you need support in the school then I'd go with the instructor you can afford to have more often. Eventually you will grow out of this one as you become more confident and competent - then you will be ready for the more intense instructor.

Sometimes quantity helps more than quality - though hopefully both will give quality coaching at their individual levels.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
If you are still at the stage where you feel you need support in the school then I'd go with the instructor you can afford to have more often. Eventually you will grow out of this one as you become more confident and competent - then you will be ready for the more intense instructor.

Sometimes quantity helps more than quality - though hopefully both will give quality coaching at their individual levels.

This!

I now have a lesson about once a month, or less if I have competitions on the day my trainer comes to my area, but if I had tried to do this a couple of years ago, I would have been left floundering in the periods in between.

Before I moved to my current trainer, I worked with a local dressage rider who was good and much less expensive, so I would have a lesson every fortnight, which worked well for me and the time I have to ride. Now I am more confident in what I am training my horse, and more importantly HOW I am training my horse, I am happy to have less regular training and can still progress

lizziebell

Visit site

Agree with Tnavas.

nato

Visit site
I have a more expensive trainer that I LOVE, but can't afford her every two weeks. I could however, afford her once a month, and my less expensive trainer once a month too. So I've gone down that route :)

joolie

Visit site
Thanks for input - much as I thought really!! We are getting better slowly and I know in my head often what I should be doing...its just getting it to all the relevant body parts! I do feel that I've perhaps outgrown current instructor but only in the sense where she is unable to explain some of the newer things/movements to me in a way I understand. I may speak with 'better' instructor about a more specific out of lesson plan. She's very good support wise via email/text etc but sometimes it's useful to have someone being there telling me exactly when to soften that dratted inside rein!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it does depend on how you work and train ,for me two lessons over two days every three weeks is perfect .
I don't like weekly sessions for flat work it mucks about my system .

dianchi

Visit site
I went to a lesson last night, and she asked me why i was there! :)

Always nice feeling, but i just need a tune up now and then to sort me out- not horse but def me!
Shoulders were doing weird things and some however i'm over rising, so shoulder thought in place and chewing gum bum trot is what im working on!

Two minor tweaks and lo and behold ponio improves!