Drag-hunt today

star

Visit site
what a day!

Started with some serious XC driving! :shocked: Found my way to the right place and went through the gate onto the common land. There were 2 other trailers in front of me so just followed them. Turns out they had no idea where they were going and we did some serious off-roading - the sort of stuff you'd do on a 4x4 day, not with a trailer and horse on the back! We went through seriously deep puddles, on inclines and finished with the steepist hill in the world - Llewi must have been almost sat down! I wondered if we'd get up it - Surf has no probs but a serious test of my driving. Got to the top and there was no-one else there. Realised we were all lost in the middle of Barossa common - oops! Luckily the message must have got round as the kennelman came to find us. Made it to the meet with about 5mins to get ready - cue massive rush and just about made it!

Anyway, after all that madness, met up with Amy and we stood around chatting and Llewi was really good at standing and not rearing. Then set off on the first line. I actually had some control with the Cheltenham gag and Llewi seemed to be accepting it ok. We jumped some nice fences and all was good. Walked around chatting between lines and was having a lovely time.

2nd line also ok, getting a bit onwards bound but jumped some serious fences for us. That was after someone nearly had a nasty rotational fall at it when horse left a leg and nearly went down on her - not nice to watch that just before. Nearly bottled it but just followed the others. Brakes still intact at this stage.

3rd line all went wrong. He was getting silly and kept yanking the reins, tried hooking my fingers round the neckstrap and he yanked just as I was getting my knitting sorted and has done some damage to my right thumb - spent the rest of the line trying to hold him without using my thumb and failing miserably. He wanted to go flat out but this line was really windy and I wasn't comfortable going that fast. He'd already nearly lost his back end in the woods earlier and I could see him going down if I let him go his speed. We did manage to keep control for the first half and jumped some decent Intro sized fences but then just lost it completely - he was having complete temper tantrums, shaking his head violently and yanking me forwards - my new rubber reins gave me the grip i needed but he could still yank and just pulled me out of the saddle instead of the reins out of my hands. He only does it when I wont let him have his head but there was lots of downhill and bendy lines and I just couldn't risk him going that fast. Just coming to the last hill of the last line and someone somehow fell off in the puddle right in front of me, Llewi darted to the right to avoid her and I joined her. Didn't hurt myself at all, but got a faceful of muddy water and was completely soaked. Llewi bombed off up the hill after the rest - the photographer has a fab couple of pics of him jumping along with the field. He coudld easily have gone round but chose to jump - dont think anyone can say he doesn't enjoy his XC. Got back on at the top and walked back to the lorries - or should I say piaffed/passaged/cantered sideways.

Apparantly they settle the more you take them out? That's what everyone keeps telling me anyway!

So, a mixture of good and bad - I still had a good time and I will be going again on Boxing Day which is at Minley and is apparantly a bit flatter. Here's hoping it doesn't rain so much beforehand too!

Plans for the future:
One rein on the Cheltenham gag - 2 is too much to juggle
Plait him so his mane doesn't get in the way of me grabbing the neck strap

winterhorse

Visit site
well sounds like you had a very interesting day!!!
glad you and your horse are well..

also good to hear you enjoyed it and that you will be back out with us again...

hope you got to see hounds as they were hunting well tody...

look forward to seeing you out with us again .
ps come and introduce yourself to the hounds and the huntsman next time and we can make you feel more welcome....
:grin:

star

Visit site
the hounds looked fab - i was trying to stay at the back - trying - so didn't see them actually hunting, but saw them all in between the lines.

there were rather a few people a bit out of control today which didn't help me with Llewi as he kept getting tanked past and it upset him a bit. i may have had a stroppy horse shaking his head around but at leats i had control of what speed he was going. Lots of fallers too - it was definitely different to Tweseldown.

Amy_08

Visit site
Sorry, I was one of the out of control ones-and my horse is usually so sane but it does just blow their brains and we didn't get on well with the bit. There did seem to be quite a few out of control horses though.

I put her in the field when I got back to the yard and she just galloped round. When I brought her in she was still wound up and wouldn't settle, so left her alone for a while and went back and checked on her and she was sleeping-ahhh

star

Visit site
amy, i think you were fine! i dont remember you charging past me once! i had people running into my back end, going flat out past me etc etc - it didn't help! it wasnt like that at T/down. hopefully Boxing day will be a bit more under control - i'm debating the gag with one rein or a pelham with roundings - not sure!

put Llewi out in the field and he went to sleep!

surreyhorsechick

Visit site
Star, I've just seen the photos from yesterday - you poor thing!! Apologies to all for not making it, after the heavy rain and waking up to find all our fields underwater we thought the going would be too wet and didn't want to risk it (I know, wimping out before the first attempt!) Trouble is, my boy's 20 with arthritis in both hocks and he doesn't cope well on really soft ground so decided to hold off until we get a drier day!

Looking forward to meeting you all soon though - hope Llewi ok Star and just your pride hurt!!

winterhorse

Visit site
there were rather a few people a bit out of control today which didn't help me with Llewi as he kept getting tanked past and it upset him a bit. i may have had a stroppy horse shaking his head around but at leats i had control of what speed he was going. Lots of fallers too - it was definitely different to Tweseldown.

Sorry to hear that you felt there were a lot of out of control people.
I would like to point out, before we get a bad rep, that 90% of the field yesterday were not regulars.
The RMA welcomes all and unfortunatly sometimes it takes people a couple of outings to find out how their horse/pony will react.
As long as no-one poses a danger to others, being in the field often means you can be overtaken.
Hope this hasn't put you off.

star

Visit site
definitely dont want to give the hunt a bad name - they were doing their best to keep everyone under control and make sure everyone had a good time. i just felt it was a bit more hectic than T/down. quite happy to be overtaken, but i was getting charged past just when i was headed into a jump with people shouting sorry over their shoulder and that upset him a bit. certainly nothing the hunt could have done to prevent it and i've spent the day telling people how much fun it was still and how i'm looking forwards to going again.