Drainage off the yard

Mamamia

Visit site
We are finally getting round to putting in our planning application for new stable yard and arena.

The thing that's taxing me most is the drainage off the yard. We don't have mains drainage, so all our waste water from the house goes through a Klargester.

I wanted to drain the water from the yard through the Klargester, but the manufacturers say I can't and that I need to put in a separate septic tank. All our rainwater drains into the pond, but I can't do that either as it might be contaminated with shampoo etc.

I'm assuming quite a lot of us don't have mains drainage, so what have the rest of you done with the waste water?

Also, presumably if I build a concrete base for the muck heap, that needs to have a drain too?

It's all so complicated!

Grateful for your thoughts and experiences :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
We are finally getting round to putting in our planning application for new stable yard and arena.

The thing that's taxing me most is the drainage off the yard. We don't have mains drainage, so all our waste water from the house goes through a Klargester.

I wanted to drain the water from the yard through the Klargester, but the manufacturers say I can't and that I need to put in a separate septic tank. All our rainwater drains into the pond, but I can't do that either as it might be contaminated with shampoo etc.

I'm assuming quite a lot of us don't have mains drainage, so what have the rest of you done with the waste water?

Also, presumably if I build a concrete base for the muck heap, that needs to have a drain too?

It's all so complicated!

Grateful for your thoughts and experiences :)

Mine goes into a soak away which is where all the water passing through your klargester ends up , only solids end up in the septic tanks shampoo water will just pass straight into the soak away any way.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Same here, we have a concrete yard base and have drains in it and they are all connected to a soak away. no septic tank involved .

That's completely separate to the house drains which go to a new septic tank and then a long soakaway.

All this was approved and building regs approved. So I would think that's the route to go down. You def don't want or need it to go through a treatment plant like a Klargester.

Edited to add you don't need a septic tank for it unless they know something we don't!

Mamamia

Visit site
Thanks Goldenstar. I'm assuming therefore that I have a soakaway somewhere as well as the klargester. Do you just have a pipe that goes to the soakaway?

TheMule

Visit site
We have a soak away but it wasnt coping with a busy yard of 17 so we now have a soakaway but with an overflow septic tank system so we dont get flooding when it's very wet

Mamamia

Visit site
Thanks all.

I'm am totally ignorant about all this. As soak aways only let the water filter into the ground and don't actually treat the water, does that mean I could simply put a drain in which empties into the drainage ditches I have at the edge of the garden?

*Confused of Kent*

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
No, they are very picky about drains going into the ditches, or dykes as we call them in Lincs!! We had to site the soak away well away from the dykes. Make sure your soakaway is big enough. Our builder dug a huge hole, long and deep (with his digger) and it was part filled with rubble before the soil was replaced. It only took a day or so to complete.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks Goldenstar. I'm assuming therefore that I have a soakaway somewhere as well as the klargester. Do you just have a pipe that goes to the soakaway?

Yes several actually from different parts of the yard .
If you look in your septic tank you will see a pipe in and a pipe out the water flows through the solids dropping into the tank the out pipe will lead to a soak way there are different types mine is a series for pipes full of little holes sitting on beds of gravel membranes go on top of the pipes ( to stop soil clogging them ) then covered with soil.
Reed beds are also used as soakaways .
When you plan your drains plan for roding point stable drains block easily as bedding mud and stuff gets washed down them so you need to be able rod them
I did not get this right as first but have added ridding points over time as I worked where I had problems .
Make sure the builders use solid pipes near trees and hedges and the roots over time work their way into permeable pipes and clog them .i had some of mine redone last year where trees we planted after we built the yard got into the pipes so replaced that section with a solid pipe .
I have lived here 24 years and have had to work on the soakaways twice they clogg in time but it not expensive to renew them .
I get in a farm drainage contractor to do this work they are experianced as they do it all the time and cheaper than builders and they are great at reading the land.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks all.

I'm am totally ignorant about all this. As soak aways only let the water filter into the ground and don't actually treat the water, does that mean I could simply put a drain in which empties into the drainage ditches I have at the edge of the garden?

*Confused of Kent*

Because the enviroment agency will lock you up.