Draw reins for people who agree with them.

Keeky

Visit site
Hi guys, my ex race horse is almost there with using all the different muscles needed for his new career now. He is ALMOST there with his training, do you think I could put some draw reins at him at this stage?
He's 5. x

& please no harsh comments like a few I've had in here. Shame i can't delete them. People seem to get the wrong end of the stick of WHY i'm asking. I know HOW to use them and what purpose they serve so please no mean comments :)

Last edited:

Keeky

Visit site
What do you mean the fact i'm asking? I know exactly how to use them and what purpose they serve.. don't get what you mean really..?

Keeky

Visit site

To help him know where I'm asking his head to be. He already has a strong hind end, he just needs to learn to use his back end with his front end and he needs to learn the shape I'm asking him of..kindly. Can you think of anything other than draw reins?
I did ask for people that aren't anti-draw reins.. :S

Keeky

Visit site
Well, if you know, why ask? What purpose do you need them for? Will help us give our opinions

J&C

To help him know where I'm asking his head to be. He already has a strong hind end, he just needs to learn to use his back end with his front end and he needs to learn the shape I'm asking him of..kindly. Can you think of anything other than draw reins? I've been advised by my instructor.

amage

Visit site
You may know how to use them but if you don't know when it is appropriate to use them then I think no you shouldn't be putting them on this horse and in this instance I agree...if you have to ask then you shouldn't be using them. If horse is so close then time is going to be far more beneficial!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Don't do it in the long term it won't help but in the short term it might.

I'm not against draw reins (infact I've used them on my TB to help us hack safely) but even if he is a nightmare with his flatwork pushing his head down won't help. The only way you get there head in the right spot is lots of leg getting the hind quarters underneath and the back rising so the neck can draw forwards and a natural curve is formed.

Draw reins will not help you achieve this use more leg and time your half halts perfectly and you'll get there trust me! My TB has been a nightmare on the dressage front and we have got there finally without the use of any gadgets and I couldn't be prouder.

JessandCharlie

Visit site
I'm not anti draw reins. I have a pair.

Ok, here goes.

'Outline' Ie, head on or in front of the vertical, should be a result of working through the scales of training, moving forward freely from behind, in balance and rhythm softly into a light contact. Draw reins effectively increase the mechanical strength from the hand, pulling the head down and back, rather than allowing the neck to stretch forward and the horse to gently soften at the poll.
My suggestion would be to persevere with schooling correctly, rather than taking a short cut. Plenty of working long and low, transitions, circles, hill work. Eventually, he will begin to find a correct balance and work from behind and soften into a nice shape. It is this shape which is the last thing to come. Unfortunately the draw reins will be putting the horse's head where 'it should be' before the rest is established, and therefore he probably won't be working truly through.

Keep cracking, I promise it's worth it in the end.

Draw reins are, IMO, not to be used to create an outline, but to help contain a sharp, fresh bugger of a horse ;)

I hope this makes sense. He's a young horse, sounds like you've done a good job so far but keep cracking, it will come :)

J&C

angelish

Visit site
What do you mean the fact i'm asking? I know exactly how to use them and what purpose they serve.. don't get what you mean really..?

oh hun you have just opened a can of worms :) these lot hate draw reins and you are about to get pounced on :(

i only use draw reins in an attempt to keep my horse under control out hacking (he can rear/spin etc)
used whilst schooling to help him lower his head will only give you a false sense of a nice "outline" your far better off starting correctly at the beginning with him and getting a good instructor to teach you how to engage your horses hind quarters ,hence the horse will work correctly from behind and eventually work in to a truer contact :)

the correct way does take longer than simply cheating by using draw reins but you will only come across trouble later on in the horses schooling and will then have to go back to the start and do it correctly any way

if he is "special" to hack out and its a safety thing with your horse go a head but get an instructor to show you how to use them correctly as you can get into trouble with them

good luck & welcome :D

lannerch

Visit site
I'm not against draw reins either is this a serious post or a troll as you are getting defensive far too quickly!

Draw Reins if used should only be used as a guide for one or two schooling sessions as a last resort for a horse that is strugling to understand what you are asking! once the horse has been
shown what you are after put away for possibly ever!

I do understand they have a use with dangerous horses and rider safety always takes preference

blitznbobs

Visit site
I also am of the opinion that draw reins are for brakes and to stop a horse throwing a wobbler... but the way you phrase your question suggest that you've already decided... you are going to use them no matter what anyone ssays on here.

BnBX

Erzie

Visit site
Excuse me, but what do you call "draw reins"?

Is it this:

renes_allemandes1.jpg

Thank you!

HorseGirl18

Visit site
if you do, put them to the girth buckles instead of underneath him. this acts like side reins on a lunge, but when they want to stretch, you can loosen them and let them. this way, they can acctually be a grat muscle builder

Merry Crisis

Visit site
if you do, put them to the girth buckles instead of underneath him. this acts like side reins on a lunge, but when they want to stretch, you can loosen them and let them. this way, they can acctually be a grat muscle builder

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS, I am not adverse to draw reins at all, I think that they have their place in life. Used on the odd occassion I think they help a horse get an idea of how to go, as long as they are taken off, ridden and schooled without most of the time and not used as a crutch.

Keeky

Visit site
I'm not anti draw reins. I have a pair.

Ok, here goes.

'Outline' Ie, head on or in front of the vertical, should be a result of working through the scales of training, moving forward freely from behind, in balance and rhythm softly into a light contact. Draw reins effectively increase the mechanical strength from the hand, pulling the head down and back, rather than allowing the neck to stretch forward and the horse to gently soften at the poll.
My suggestion would be to persevere with schooling correctly, rather than taking a short cut. Plenty of working long and low, transitions, circles, hill work. Eventually, he will begin to find a correct balance and work from behind and soften into a nice shape. It is this shape which is the last thing to come. Unfortunately the draw reins will be putting the horse's head where 'it should be' before the rest is established, and therefore he probably won't be working truly through.

Keep cracking, I promise it's worth it in the end.

Draw reins are, IMO, not to be used to create an outline, but to help contain a sharp, fresh bugger of a horse ;)

I hope this makes sense. He's a young horse, sounds like you've done a good job so far but keep cracking, it will come :)

J&C

Thanks for your kind comment, really made me think about things! What I'm basically saying is are they a good idea and I think in the end, without gadgets, I will have a much better outcome and be proud of what I've produced myself. So thanks for your comment x

Keeky

Visit site
oh hun you have just opened a can of worms :) these lot hate draw reins and you are about to get pounced on :(

i only use draw reins in an attempt to keep my horse under control out hacking (he can rear/spin etc)
used whilst schooling to help him lower his head will only give you a false sense of a nice "outline" your far better off starting correctly at the beginning with him and getting a good instructor to teach you how to engage your horses hind quarters ,hence the horse will work correctly from behind and eventually work in to a truer contact :)

the correct way does take longer than simply cheating by using draw reins but you will only come across trouble later on in the horses schooling and will then have to go back to the start and do it correctly any way

if he is "special" to hack out and its a safety thing with your horse go a head but get an instructor to show you how to use them correctly as you can get into trouble with them

good luck & welcome :D

Thanks so much for your comment hun!
Wondering, what should i do about him napping, kicking out to the side, jogging but its definately to do with his mouth! I'm SO soft with my hands, soft in the seat & he's had his mouth checked in June just gone. He doesn't like a flash, maybe it's just his race horse still in him? I haven't had him for long at all! Not even a month! & the last owners didn't get to school him due to facilities but he's coming to college with me so I'll have all the help I can get :)x

Keeky

Visit site
I also am of the opinion that draw reins are for brakes and to stop a horse throwing a wobbler... but the way you phrase your question suggest that you've already decided... you are going to use them no matter what anyone ssays on here.

BnBX

I haven't decided on them yet and I agree completely with your comment but they are also for the fact he won't go in a flash which ex racers are often in but I can't put it on him and draw riens will hopefully help me when he gets away from me with his napping which I can do NOTHING about other than something like draw reins..
No you all seem to be picking on me, the way you're saying things. I'm quite a sensitive person. I can take constructive crit but not bitchy comments that aren't needed :/ sorry.

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi guys, my ex race horse is almost there with using all the different muscles needed for his new career now. He is ALMOST there with his training, do you think I could put some draw reins at him at this stage?
He's 5. x

& please no harsh comments like a few I've had in here. Shame i can't delete them. People seem to get the wrong end of the stick of WHY i'm asking. I know HOW to use them and what purpose they serve so please no mean comments :)

I am not going to comment on your query, I have no problem with DRs per say, provided they are used for the correct means, in sympathetic, understanding and experienced hands. For some horses they are a useful tool/addition to their training and for others absolutely not necessary.

What worries me is that you say you have had 'harsh comments' on here before and wish you could 'delete' them, you have signed up as a new user purely to post this question, so on that basis, and since people have obviously questioned your ability/approach many times I would urge you not to go there, since you obviously feel a need to hide who you are, your feeling is probably that people would suggest that YOU should not use them

Keeky

Visit site

Are you talking about side reins?
x

MadBlackLab

Visit site
Try lunging him in this
http://www.equestrianclearance.com/ekkia/norton-training-aid/index.html

Its basically like a possea with half the price tag. I brought it for my 5yr old as it helps him with his head while still encouraging his hind quarters under him. after 3 weeks of being lunged 3 times a week in it he is going lovely and i feel the difference when riding. Even in field moving nicely :D

I'm not a fan of draw reins as i feel they 'fix' the head and if the rider isn't experienced then the horse may not use his hind quarters

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thanks so much for your comment hun!
Wondering, what should i do about him napping, kicking out to the side, jogging but its definately to do with his mouth! I'm SO soft with my hands, soft in the seat & he's had his mouth checked in June just gone. He doesn't like a flash, maybe it's just his race horse still in him? I haven't had him for long at all! Not even a month! & the last owners didn't get to school him due to facilities but he's coming to college with me so I'll have all the help I can get :)x

Go & read Jess&Charlie's post again Keeky, this is exactly what I'd have put - and it WILL be worth it in the end.

Please, take your time, you have a young horse, who has only been with you a month so is still settling in.

Draw reins are not going to help in anyway with jogging & kicking out (as you mention in another post that he does) time, patience & schooling will help :)

I'd also get his teeth checked again by your own ED as he/she may pick up something that might have been missed previously (worth a double check, isnt it?)

Queenbee

Visit site
I would also say that I never use DRs to show a horse where its head 'should' be, but to stop it from being where it shouldn't be (for example star gazing) never use DR's to put into a 'pretty' outline, it will be false, use them to stop the horse from falling back on a totally incorrect way of going.