Draw reins?

ridersince2002

Visit site
(holds up sheild) DONT SHOOT!!
I know what draw reins are, but would someone please be able to explain what they do? ive tried searching, but all ive found is arguements about them being a quick fix for lazy people.

I booked a lesson with a local show rider for the pony i ride, and all she did was take the pony out of a kimblewick and put her in a waterford gag, tighten the martingale and stick some draw reins on her! (now for lessons with someone else methinks!) But i said i didnt want to ride in draw reins as i didnt know how to use them, and ive been warned that if not used properly, they can case alot of damage, so she got on and had the pony going round nicely in them, and shes been alot better since.

I wondered if it might help to get an instructor to teach me how to use them, and have a couple of schooling sessions in them, because pony leans on me with her head right up and sugars off when shes bored (even when i include plenty of circles, figures of 8 ect), Unless that would be lazy of course...

But how do draw reins work, why do people think their so bad, and has anyone had any positive experience with them working? Im so confused!! :eek:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
the general point that makes them bad, is that in inexperianced hands (or mis use) your pulling the horses head in, it will get the neck arched but little else will be happening,

For them to work effectively you need to be an experianced rider that can still ride off your reins and not rely on the draw reins, they should be used as guidence to encourace a horse to soften to the hand and engage the rest of the body. Sadley these days it rarely they are used in this way.

the damage you can do with them can be very harsh.. mental and physical to your horse.

personally I would not use them on a horse that didnt understand how to soften work on the bit and through from behind, when then used it would be for a tiny amount of time.. 1 mins maybe??

an example, my previous youngster was struggling in the transition to canter and once in it, she under stood how to work, and in a pelham (was a show horse) we had no issues but in a normal snaffle she wasnt getting it, the draw reins at this point came into play and done there job.... they gave her guidence to what she already knew. if that makes sence.

Jamana

Visit site
Draw reins are the same as any other piece of tack, as good/bad as the hands holding them.

They basically prevent the horse from getting it's head too high or poking it's nose out and going on the fore hand. As you have seen your horse wearing them, you will know how they look and if they are knotted an left down on the wither then they cause no harm at all. However if you work in a tight contact for long periods of time they can cause headaches. I have seen horses with their foreheads pushed against the walls of their stables to try and find relief after long sessions in DR's. But IMO the 'risk' is no more than any other artificial training aid, side reins, pessoa, bungy rein etc. Short burst, going in a correct outline should cause no problem and may help your clever horse realise that work must be done at times!

Maybe because Draw reins are not a current fashion fad or part of a famous riders marketed training scheme they have gone out of favour, but they do have a place. I used to hack out a tricky horse that would rear and and charge off, we hacked out with draw reins connected up but knotted and left loose on the wither, if he started to mis-behave I picked them up and had total control. No need for fancy bits or nosebands and if he behaved himself there was no need to touch the draw reins.