Draycott House BE90 report

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
To celebrate Gizmo's 5th birthday, we went off to Draycott House to do the BE90. I had walked the course a couple of days before and was very impressed with the ground what with all the rain we had, and I counted myself very lucky to be getting a run with 2 other local events being cancelled!

Anyway, onto the dressage. Won't dwell on it too much- we came dead last after this phase :eek: :eek: BUT, and a big but- I wasn't miles away, and this time the test on the whole was MUCH better than it has been...however her good, relaxed work was ruined by some big mistakes that brought our marks down..for instance, she broke into canter in our trot work, we stroke off on the wrong leg in the first canter, and we had a very wonky halt..all things that turned 6s/7s into 3s/4s! So, once we fix those things (which she is perfectly capable of doing properly when numpty rider rides properly!), we should be getting late 30s :) So I was pleased with how she went in general, even if we did get a rubbish mark! :)

Watched a few showjump and it was causing quite a few problems. I must say, it was nice to see a proper showjumping course, not an "eventing" course- it wasn't just a figure of 8 for a change! Gizmo's showjumping has really clicked lately, and she jumped a beautiful, flowing, rhythmical clear round- definitely the best she's ever gone :) So was super pleased with her! :D

Put her back on the box for a bit and went to watch a few jump number 6 (had been stressing about it following people on here saying the stones looked dangerous!), everyone we saw jumped it fine and fence judge kindly told us that he'd had no problems there, so went back to get tacked up feeling more positive!

I was feeling much more relaxed than usual, deciding that I put too much pressure on myself and that I've done chuffing well to be such an amateur and get a young horse to this level, so who cares if I mess it up..! We went with a new bit (my sj bit- a cheltenham gag with 2 reins) and much more control! Flew the first 4 which were all straight forward, steadied her up for the drop at 5 which she popped down- then the jump I was really nervous about, the obelisk at 6- gave her a little kick and a "come on Giz!" prep talk, and she literally flew it! So started to relax a bit now as could feel she was on form and loving it :D Through the gap to the first combination- log to 2 step ups which she made short work of :) Made the kennel feel about 2ft, kicked on a bit on the flat to try and make up some time and came to another one I was worried about- through a gate and a 90 degree turn to a hedge into the woods. Gave it a lot of room to get round as would rather get time faults than a stop, although I'm sure she would of been fine as she flew it and out over the second hedge :) Onto the lorry which was quite spooky- she helpfully spooked at the BE100 size lorry on the way to ours, so I laughed as she jumped ours as if it was nothing! Silly horse! :)
Nice old gallop to the castle fence which was quite wide, a horse had been E'd here and was stood next to it (not very helpful!) waiting for me to pass, luckily Gizmo either didn't notice or didn't care as she popped it nicely. Steadied her on for the first water as it was very muddy, splashed through and out over the log, then steadied her up for the ditch to make sure she saw it! Nice gallop to the next fence and then onto another step up which she popped and over the log on top. Next few fences were nice and straight forward, gave her a bit of a growl over the wall at 18 as she can be spooky at gravel take offs which this one had- she responded to the growl by taking a full stride out! :eek: So remind me not to do that again :D I pushed her on through the next water as she is so confident she doesn't need steadying up so thought I could make up a bit of time here and she took it on and splashed her way through, and flew over the last full of running for a clear :D :D YAY!
Had some lovely comments on the loudspeakers about us being a "lovely partnership" which was nice to hear!
So another double clear which brought us up from last ( :eek: ) to 16th :) We did get 3.2 time faults which dropped us down a couple of places, because I was checking her back for fences too early- now I know I have good breaks I can afford to let her gallop on until a bit later so not worried about them :) I was just so happy that she made it feel SO easy!
Sorry for such the long report- here are some pictures to brighten the thread up a bit!

DEAR TFC AND BUTTON PUSHERS- I HAVE FULL, WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM TRAFFORD PHOTOGRAPHY TO POST THESE DIGITAL PHOTOS ON THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!! And some of them are by my dad :)

102_3964.jpg

102_3965.jpg

102_3967.jpg

trafford_photography_300973.jpg

trafford_photography_300976.jpg

102_3971.jpg

Taking a stride out at fence 18 :eek:
102_3974.jpg

trafford_photography_299466.jpg

Think my smile here says it all...
trafford_photography_299469.jpg

trafford_photography_299470.jpg

trafford_photography_300071.jpg

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Well done! A double clear is great, and dressage can always be worked on, whereas if a horse won't jump it won't jump! I really like Gizmo she's loving life! x

Thank you! Just got to get out and do some more pure dressage (much to my disgust ;) ).
How are you and Tam getting on lately?

Flashpaddler

Visit site
Well done, such a beautiful horse. We also did the BE90 on our boy who's just turned 6. He had his best ever dressage score as it was the first time he didn't break into canter! We had the last down SJ and was clear and under-time XC. Finished 18th though despite our best ever total - a pretty competitive section me thinks but still chuffed to bits.:)

Harrie123

Visit site
She is lovely and looks like she is having a lovely time! I am sure the dressage will come. Well done on the double clear, they were both tough tracks, we walked the 90 & though it was tough. Where is next?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
She is lovely and looks like she is having a lovely time! I am sure the dressage will come. Well done on the double clear, they were both tough tracks, we walked the 90 & though it was tough. Where is next?

Thanks! I hope we get there in the dressage- when we do pure dressage she is tense and silly in the first test we do and then beautiful in the 2nd test and always does well- we just need to be able to do it first time round!
Next stop is Glanusk BE90, and then maybe a BE100 if that goes well :)

walker1234

Visit site
Well done, glad you enjoyed it! I was also worried about fence 9 so we actually took a left after the gap and circled to get straight at it. Like you I figured I'd rather have a couple of time faults than a 20 but we still came in 20 seconds under time.

Thanks again for the photos btw.

BeckyD

Visit site
Fab pics! Dressage will come with time and as you've already got the other bits sorted, you'll do brilliantly! I would far rather have dressage to work on than jumping! Unfortunately I bought a horse with that intention - jumping machine but flatwork a bit iffy, and yet we now get mid-70%s dressage at prelim, but still can't go clear round XC or SJ!! Grrrr. So I am very envious of your pocket rocket jumping star! Looking forward to lots more reports so I can go green with envy a bit more ;)