Dreaded inlaws and stinky dogs

moppett

Visit site
So I've got the OHs family coming to visit us tomorrow (thank god its only once or twice a year), and they already think I'm the crazy dog lady and will probably come armed with their lint rollers and alcohol hand gel, but I am whizzing round like a mad thing, washing, sweeping tumbleweed, and changing all the throws/blankets/dog bed stuff to make everything super clean and sweet smelling. But I've just had a cuddle with the two pups and they are really smelly where they've been tumbling round the garden.

I've run out of dog shampoo - can I use human? The choices are my human organic coconut one or the OH's anti-dandruff Vosenne?

Thanks and wish me luck!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I've used human stuff loads of times, never done mine any harm!! Other than smelling poofy!!

Coconut usefully overpowering if you aren't fond of the in laws, it's like having a car air freshening wafting around in an enclosed space. Possibly more overpowering than the original smell. Nice!!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Suspect you will have bathed the smelly ones by now and they are all feeling very embarrassed about smelling so nice.

Your post made me laugh as that's exactly what I do when OH's son's and non animal friendly girlfriends come to dinner.
After deep cleaning everything the dogs have touched including the dogs, I smell worse than a stable first thing in the morning.

Have a good weekend, alcohol hand gel and all.

SadKen

Visit site
It may be an old wives tale and I have no supporting evidence, but I heard that if you use tomato juice it neutralizes the dog smell. So rinse 'em, then rub in tomato juice, then shampoo, then rinse again. I think it worked but it could be wishful thinking! I've had far better results with human shampoo. Dog shampoo makes my two smell doggy.

Adopter

Visit site
It may be an old wives tale and I have no supporting evidence, but I heard that if you use tomato juice it neutralizes the dog smell. So rinse 'em, then rub in tomato juice, then shampoo, then rinse again. I think it worked but it could be wishful thinking! I've had far better results with human shampoo. Dog shampoo makes my two smell doggy.

Tomato juice on dog ??????????? What a picture this brings to mind:D:D:D

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Tomato juice is really good for neutralising odors - particularly good with stinky things like fox poo. However, I prefer to use something less ermmmm...messy! I use white vinegar. In fact, I use it on nearly every dog that I groom. I simply wash with whatever shampoo I'm going to use, give it a good lather and rinse, and then dilute about 1/4 cup in a large jug of water and pour over and then rinse again. What the vinegar does is neutralises odors but also helps ensure that the suds are completely rinsed away - and leaves coat shiny! No, dog doesn't end up smelling like a chip supper - the vinegar smell disappears immediately.

Adopter

Visit site
Tomato juice is really good for neutralising odors - particularly good with stinky things like fox poo. However, I prefer to use something less ermmmm...messy! I use white vinegar. In fact, I use it on nearly every dog that I groom. I simply wash with whatever shampoo I'm going to use, give it a good lather and rinse, and then dilute about 1/4 cup in a large jug of water and pour over and then rinse again. What the vinegar does is neutralises odors but also helps ensure that the suds are completely rinsed away - and leaves coat shiny! No, dog doesn't end up smelling like a chip supper - the vinegar smell disappears immediately.

Thanks for the tip, I think I prefer the vinegar option and will give it a try.

moppett

Visit site
phew! well thank god that weekends over! The dogs smelt lovely and everything was going really well except for when halfway through coffee - one of the boys brought in from the garden half a manky pigs trotter covered in earth and tried chewing it on the rug in front of every one! Oh, and later the Mother in Law was sitting down with a cup of tea for all of 2mins before a dogs tongue was in the mug having a taste! Cue shock horror and another cup of tea swiftly made!

samlg

Visit site
This is hilarious - i do exactly the same as i'm sure a lot do! Mine is apparently allergic to my dog even tho they have a jack russell, work that one out! Piriton at the ready!

echodomino

Visit site
You're better than me, I deliberately leave mine smelly in the vane hope it'll put the outlaws off of coming over, they don't do dogs. So far no such luck but I'll keep trying lmao. She'll hate it when we have our planned puppy at the end of the year!