Dreading this evening...

KT88

Visit site
Sorry this is quite a long story!

I bought my first horse (9yo ISH) about 3 weeks ago following a 5 stage vetting which he passed with flying colours. In his old home he had a history of humping (not really proper bucking) into canter, particularly on the left rein. Other than that he was a lovely ride and behaved perfectly on a trial hack as well. The bucking was put down to a lack of balance/schooling as he seemed to rush and panic through the transition.

Since I have had him, I've not done a huge amount of ridden work as I was letting him settle etc. When I did ride he started turning his quarters away from the mounting block repeatedly, after persistently putting him back he would just give up and stand still and was then fine, stood while I sorted myself out etc. The bucking into canter was much the same, after the initial few strides he would settle and have a nice canter, however he developed a new trick... He would combine a spook at something in the bushes into a 180 degree spin followed by humping virtually on the spot. It happened twice and so suddenly that i completely lost balance and managed to strategically dismount the first time and the second time I managed to stay on as he stopped before I completely lost balance.

I got an Intelligent Horsemanship RA out to work on his confidence in the school and she took one look at him and said he's not muscled evenly on his bum. It was very hard to get him to stand square behind to look at it properly, which was actually the case at the vetting as well but we didn't think anything of it at the time. It also became clear as we did some leading and backing up exercises that he found it very hard to back up on the near hind and had to swing it out to the side every time rather than stepping back straight. This combined with all the other behaviour he has been showing led us to guess he must have something strange going on through his back.

I have a registered physio coming this evening to take a look at him but if she finds anything major he will need to be seen by the vets again. Needless to say I'm a bit miffed at all of this after paying a lot of money for the vetting!!

I'm dreading what the physio finds tonight, just hoping its nothing too serious and that a bit of manipulation and some exercises will do the trick!

He's so lovely and eager to please in every other way that it just seemed really strange for him to be behaving the way he was.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent really and hope my horse is ok!!

KT88

Visit site
I think some people think I'm mad for going to these measures when hes not really done anything too bad! But I would rather catch any problems early than wait until hes trying to rodeo me off! lol

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Looking on the bright side, though, once this issue is sorted out it sounds like you and your boy will have a brilliant time together. He sounds a lovely sort who has been trying for you even though he has problems.

Regarding his behaviour while the 'humping' is indicating that the horse is struggling, it's a problem working out whether that struggle is mental, physical or balance. Full marks to the IH RA. I think the more subtle issues can be missed by vets, so be disappointed, but don't be that surprised!

KT88

Visit site
Looking on the bright side, though, once this issue is sorted out it sounds like you and your boy will have a brilliant time together. He sounds a lovely sort who has been trying for you even though he has problems.

Regarding his behaviour while the 'humping' is indicating that the horse is struggling, it's a problem working out whether that struggle is mental, physical or balance. Full marks to the IH RA. I think the more subtle issues can be missed by vets, so be disappointed, but don't be that surprised!

Yeah its amazing what can be missed, even by qualified physios etc! I guess we're all human. I did email some pics to the vets of his back end and told them what was going on but they have been quite dismissive about it saying his back was checked thoroughly and they didnt see any problems. They also said they couldnt judge based on the photos as he wasnt standing square... but i deliberately got pics with his off hind pretty much square, as well as in front and behind and hes wonky on the same side either way! Its just so frustrating...

Syrah

Visit site
I personally would get a different vet out than who did the vetting to have a look.

A few weeks after I bought my mare, a problem showed itself with her right hind, it seemed more muscular in her hip. I got a different vet out to have a look.

It's turned out to be a work/schooling fixable thing. She's weak on her right side probably because her previous owner supported her more on her right being right handed so she hadn't developed the muscles, bend or balance on that side as well as she has with the left.

I'm a leftie so she's got no choice but to even out on her right. She's coming along nicely now.

I think you're at the most difficult stage of owning a new horse. Give him and yourself a chance ;)

KT88

Visit site
KT88
Was the vet your choice or the sellers choice?

It was my choice. Just got some quotes from several local ones and went from there. It was a different vet to the ones she used for his vaccs etc previously as well.

KT88

Visit site
I personally would get a different vet out than who did the vetting to have a look.

A few weeks after I bought my mare, a problem showed itself with her right hind, it seemed more muscular in her hip. I got a different vet out to have a look.

It's turned out to be a work/schooling fixable thing. She's weak on her right side probably because her previous owner supported her more on her right being right handed so she hadn't developed the muscles, bend or balance on that side as well as she has with the left.

I'm a leftie so she's got no choice but to even out on her right. She's coming along nicely now.

I think you're at the most difficult stage of owning a new horse. Give him and yourself a chance ;)

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm sure we will get through it, just hoping its not anything major that might affect him long term. A schooling fixable thing would be GREAT!! lol

KT88

Visit site
Update following physio visit!!

In the week he's had off since I suspected something was wrong, he has developed several sore areas in his back and pelvis and is also now lame behind! (could be linked with being shod that morning though) Physio was reluctant to do anything now he is actually lame until a vet has seen him :(