Dream Native Pony vs Pre-existing Health Conditions

champagne_charolais

Visit site
I have found my dream man, a beautiful Highland gelding. He ticks the boxes of temperament, quality, conformation, height etc. Showing and driving potential. He has one small pea sized sacroids on the tip of his ear & had a bought of lami previous. Should I walk away despite him being such a nice pony otherwise.

There is no such thing as a perfect equine, I understand this and I am experienced with lami BUT I feel it is unwise to buy a pony I know will require more management and will reduce his showing potential along with the sacroids.

Sacroids are not a issue I've dealt with beside. A quick search online tells me this is down to plain old luck if treatment works or not.

On the flip side I am losing out on my dream gelding I've waited 30 years for. He gives me butterflies, but I know I have to think with my head.

So I throw open for scrutiny & advice please? Walk away or take a chance? I am swinging towards walking away but I am already attached to him.

Nativelover

Visit site
I think it depends on what you want to do with him mainly?? How bad was the lami??
If it was very mild and not returned, if he ticks every other box I'd be tempted to give him a go. I'm assuming these faults are reflected in his price?

If your goal was mainly high level showing, I'd walk away. If he is to be used mainly for pleasure with a bit of low level competing I'd probably go for it.

Kylara

Visit site
The lami might not be a problem, but combined I would personally walk away.

Sarcoids in particular can be evil, they can grow, spread, not go away, turn into a horrible mess. I try to avoid at all times. Especially if you want to show. And being on his ear it could turn into a huge problem if it doesn't go away/grows as it will be interefering with putting on bridles and headcollars and could cause secondary issues.

Firefly9410

Visit site
For me it would depend on price. A sarcoid devalues a horse for me making me unwilling to pay more than £500. Sarcoids can be horrendous so I would feel I was really taking a risk. The laminitis would not bother me as long as I was happy to have a pony part stabled all year. On most livery yards this is the only way to effectively manage their weight. If I was looking for something to live out I would not touch a laminitic.

Charlie007

Visit site
The lammi wouldn't bother me if I had the means to control it. The sarcoid would depend on how big. Could you get a vet to check sarcoid? If the pony was perfect for my needs in every other way I would take the risk x

touchstone

Visit site
Knowing the metabolic issues that these good doer natives can have I'm afraid I'd walk away from one that has already had laminitis.

I recently had mine pts from ems and Cushing's, but I'd battled and worried for years with managing her. She ended up costing more than a poor doer tb to care for on a daily basis.

Merlod

Visit site
I wouldn't be bothered by the lami. You know he's prone so you can manage him accordingly. I have a lami prone shetland and he's really easy to manage with the right feeds and part muzzling he actually lives out on 10 acres with my others as I think the movement with the herd is actually much better than standing bored in a starvation paddock. I rotate between three muzzles to avoid rubs and to allow different levels of grass intake. I always get comments on how fit and great he looks for a shetland :)

Sarcoids I have no experience with, I would find it off putting if they get worse it may affect where tack sits (especially driving harness) and also affect his showing. But if you don't think it would be a problem you could get an absolute bargain.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If your going to be working and I mean working the horse I might forgive one bout of lami , if the yard you keep him on is lami friendly .
Sarcoid on the ear that's a more difficult one you need a vets advice but you have to aware they can cost ££££ if you are unlucky .

Makemineacob

Visit site
Neither would bother me whatsoever if he was the right horse. Lami is very easily managed and at least you know his history! A sarcoid would not put me off either but if you are concerned I would get the vet to check it. I have a boy who has sarcoids on his tummy and sheath and they cause him no issues and they haven't changed in the 8 years I've had him and vet said just leave them alone, obviously some sarcoids can be an issue but it wouldn't put me off.

PorkChop

Visit site
Neither would bother me as long as you have the facilities to manage his weight.

If I did buy then I would treat the sarcoid straight away with Liverpool cream.