Dreary Early January weekend plans??

Reacher

Visit site
Currently lying on sofa feeling pathetic with a cold. Lesson booked tomorrow, not sure if I’ll be up to it.
My brain cell can’t string 3 consecutive thoughts together. What was the question?!
I ought to take Mr H for leg stretch around the block. But I CBA.

blood_magik

Visit site
Baby NV had his first lesson today. Plenty of hijinks on the lunge but settled nicely to have a pootle around inside the boards that I had set up Raz’s lesson.

trainer has suggested aiming him towards 4yo classes this year but I’m not sure I’ve got enough time to get him out seeing things and to a little show before then - how long did everyone else wait to take their young horse to their first show?

I was planning to start taking him out to see things once his saddle has been fitted the first week in February. Young horse class would be the last Friday in March ?

Raz had a run through AM91 in his lesson. His changes have come on massively in the last few weeks so we’re taking the plunge and attempting them in public tomorrow. Not looking forwards to having to sit to the medium and extended trots though ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Had a fab clinic today, seemed to be able to pick up where we left off last time with a bold forward stride. Had a slightly cheeky run out where I just wasn't on his case enough quick enough but otherwise jumped well keeping up with some big horses. No spotty ridings as it was howling down the rest of the day

Widgeon

Visit site
It's a beautiful day down here! Unfortunately the local lanes (both here and at our planned destination) were pretty icy up until a couple of hours ago so when our hacking meet-up was cancelled at 7.30am (having got up at 6am, demuddded pony and hooked up the trailer) I was quite relieved. I'd been dithering since last night about whether it would be safe to tow, so thankful for a group decision that it wasn't.

Our lovely YO and instructor managed to fit in a lesson for me at 8am so at least we got something useful out of the day. Dropped my stirrups two holes and took the velcro thigh blocks (they were there when I bought it...) off my saddle and I'm sitting much better - even my naughty left foot was not sticking out quite as badly as it usually does! Now I just need lots of practice so pony and I both get used to riding like this (aka "properly"). It was also nice to hear that he's actually not going too badly at all - I'm just fixating on the bad bits and not seeing the progress. So all round good morning, really, despite the cancelled plans.

Widgeon

Visit site
Currently lying on sofa feeling pathetic with a cold. Lesson booked tomorrow, not sure if I’ll be up to it.
My brain cell can’t string 3 consecutive thoughts together. What was the question?!
I ought to take Mr H for leg stretch around the block. But I CBA.

I think everyone should have a certain number of "CBA cards" to play on occasion....sometimes you just need to cut yourself some slack. Hope you're feeling better today - but if not I'm sure he won't melt from being stuck in his field.

Peglo

Visit site
Had a rather more eventful hack this morning. It’s a beautiful day up here and we were heading out with field mate so tali is usually very easy. But today we came across monsters!!! Very very scary monsters that makes us spin and want to run for home. Twice!! And what was this scary monsters? Not pigs, we just had a look at those, not goats, not cows, not tractors….. it was 3 hairy miniature shetlands and a small pony in a field. ?

this is the first time I’ve gotten really any sort of reaction from Tali and so of course I was useless and tangled my reins in her mane and lost both stirrups but somehow managed to pull her up. The second time she stopped when I asked her. Her feet were skidding all over the road and I was worried about her going down so I just got off and walked her past them in the end.
Horses are funny. She loves other horses and we befriended a shetland that was on our usual route but she really disliked these ponies for some reason. Who knows what goes through their minds but I’m glad I managed to stay on if nothing else. Probably not going to be able to walk tomorrow though ?

GinaGeo

Visit site
New Dressage Instructor messaged me at the beginning of the week asking if I wanted to join a Test Riding Clinic this weekend. I’ve only been to her twice, with two different horses, but thought why not. Promptly had to order some new test sheets. ?

It was a useful format. 30min lesson with trainer. Ride through test. Feedback from judge and then some test riding work.

Solo did M75. It was extremely rusty, we had to do a walk pirouette reminder session yesterday, but he’s a genuine little horse. It was valuable, especially as my experience riding at that level is no greater than his. But we’ve got lots to work on before we’re ready to go out, but new trainer is on the same page.

Pod who was meek and mild in his lesson last week, bought his Kevin attitude today. He says he’d like to be a stunt horse on TV. Trouble is. I’m not so keen. But to be fair to him, once he let me get my leg on and he let go of his rib cage, he tried very hard indeed.

He did a very sweet N37a, dropped a few marks for some Podrick Huffiness but lots of sevens a smattering of eights and some good comments. Hugely valuable for him to deal with so much going on and have to knuckle down and work through it.

I suppose I’d better enter some dressage now ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Clinic was good this weekend. We have some good homework to do before the next one. Mostly to do with our canter pirouette's and collection. Mainly someone's work ethic toward them ? when the work gets hard and he gets tired he becomes a bit of a drama queen about it all. Even if he's fit and able. Just have to ask a little bit more each time to show him we have to slowly raise our level/endurance and it's alright. I know the work is getting harder and more demanding, so I need to hold his hand and kick his arse...I mean, "motivate" him at the same time. He's funny because he wants to please, but he also doesn't want to be too uncomfortable. However, once he learns something and gets more comfortable in the movement, he's pretty solid, so we'll get there.

I remember when half pass blew his mind at one point, awhile back, and now it's so easy and effortless.

Was a bit chilly this weekend, so many layers worn, but still tried to be stylish and not the Michelin Man ? and thankfully, no snow.

VideoCapture_20220109-193746.jpgVideoCapture_20220108-165335.jpg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
We went BS SJ today and it was a bit of a who's who of the Northern showjumping scene! William Whitaker, James Whitaker, Nigel Coupe, Maisy Williams (Guy William's daughter) and Tracy Newman (to name but a few) had their horses out today! My thoroughbred event horses looked a bit ridiculous but we did bring home some prize money in the 105 speed class!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I still find it odd that so many of you are out competing. I think there were less than a dozen competitions in the whole country this past week ? winter competitions aren't really a thing here. However, it does give some riders/trainers more time to travel and instruct/run clinics out of their usual area. My area is a bit of a dressage dead zone anyway.

Alibear

Visit site
Amber decided to bring herself in from the field on Friday. Her turn out boots took the brunt of it but two cuts above them resulted in emergency vet on Saturday for antibiotics and we’re on the in hand walking and icing routine again. She should be fine but I admit I’m a little concerned by how reactive she is the having the left leg touched. Oh and .3 of sedative had her staggering around so next time we’ll try .15! She’s staying in this week and going on the horse walker in the morning and I’ll work her in hand in the evening. As we don’t want her escaping the field again and doing herself more damage. New boots are on order and we’ll make a decision about turn out once she’s finished her drugs.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Pepsi was absolutely full of it today. We’ve not been out SJ competing in a while and it showed, could tell from the minute I got him in the warmup he was going to be slightly wild. Nothing particularly naughty, just very forward and unimpressed by the idea of brakes.

Just had the last fence down in the 85cm (a skinny on a related distance headed straight at the gate) which was frustrating as we would have won otherwise! But still happy with a 5th place out of 15-20 people :) 95cm had 2 down for similar reasons, just too onward bound and therefore not getting quite the right stride. But again, still came away with a 6th place frilly.

Think it was just one of those days, his brakes have been pretty good recently, and he’s normally very careful. But we made all the turns without trotting which was my main aim for the day! and only our second 95cm class, he was well up for it and making the fences feel easy!

What said wild beastie thought about the idea of me having any input on speed today ?
3FC3B03B-E79C-4252-ABF1-864FB0CD0EB5.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
We're just coming out of hibernation but very slowly..! Lovely to see people out and about though, keep the updates coming.

Chilli's back into his 'work' routine and in during the day. There's still quite a lot of mud to get off him but it feels a bit pointless when we're just hacking :p

I got my brave pants on and took him up White Horse Hill yesterday - we have amazing hacking from my yard, but we have to navigate the Hill first, which means a lot of people, kites, dogs, flocks of sheep who like to jump out of the stone-age castle at you. We stuck to the roads so we didn't have to deal with it all at once but he did have to manage a huge number of cars and dirt bikes, me getting off to do gates and then back on again, and at one point mountain-climbing sheep. I chickened-out at the last challenge as there were sheep on a near-vertical slope at my head height, with a near vertical downhill on the other side that I didn't fancy rolling down if one of the sheep went kamikaze! Chilli had a good look at the sheep too but happily walked past with me on foot. He was also very good about me mounting from a stile and from a grass verge, he's such a fab hack :)

IMG_1034.jpg

Pocholito came along as wingman. He seemed to enjoy the hack and looks good for rising 17, I can't believe how time flies! He's not quite as cheeky as he was when I bought him 12 years ago but still has a great sense of humour...

IMG_1030.jpg

humblepie

Visit site
Jiffy - a friend used to keep her horse where you are and has the most amazing photos of him at the top of the hill. You can see for so far from up there. What a good boy to cope with all the things going on.

j1ffy

Visit site
Jiffy - a friend used to keep her horse where you are and has the most amazing photos of him at the top of the hill. You can see for so far from up there. What a good boy to cope with all the things going on.

It was as clear as I've seen it on Sunday - we could see the Cotswolds and Chilterns (and Swindon of course ?), just beautiful. The other side, heading towards Lambourn, is also incredible and a lot quieter! I think most people don't have an OS map so they just stay on the NT property and the Ridgeway...

DressageCob

Visit site
We're just coming out of hibernation but very slowly..! Lovely to see people out and about though, keep the updates coming.

Chilli's back into his 'work' routine and in during the day. There's still quite a lot of mud to get off him but it feels a bit pointless when we're just hacking :p

I got my brave pants on and took him up White Horse Hill yesterday - we have amazing hacking from my yard, but we have to navigate the Hill first, which means a lot of people, kites, dogs, flocks of sheep who like to jump out of the stone-age castle at you. We stuck to the roads so we didn't have to deal with it all at once but he did have to manage a huge number of cars and dirt bikes, me getting off to do gates and then back on again, and at one point mountain-climbing sheep. I chickened-out at the last challenge as there were sheep on a near-vertical slope at my head height, with a near vertical downhill on the other side that I didn't fancy rolling down if one of the sheep went kamikaze! Chilli had a good look at the sheep too but happily walked past with me on foot. He was also very good about me mounting from a stile and from a grass verge, he's such a fab hack :)

View attachment 85614

Pocholito came along as wingman. He seemed to enjoy the hack and looks good for rising 17, I can't believe how time flies! He's not quite as cheeky as he was when I bought him 12 years ago but still has a great sense of humour...

View attachment 85615

Pocholito lives up to his name! What a handsome lad; such a pretty head.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
It was as clear as I've seen it on Sunday - we could see the Cotswolds and Chilterns (and Swindon of course ?), just beautiful. The other side, heading towards Lambourn, is also incredible and a lot quieter! I think most people don't have an OS map so they just stay on the NT property and the Ridgeway...

Supremely jealous of your hacking - lovely!

j1ffy

Visit site
Pocholito lives up to his name! What a handsome lad; such a pretty head.

He's the most photogenic horse I've owned - I always ended up buying far too many photos when we were competing! He's very good at the proud Spanish halt at the end of a test, and perfectly tucked up knees when jumping. If only cloning were cheaper...

Supremely jealous of your hacking - lovely!

We are very lucky! Once over the hill, we can go for hours on lovely grassy / hardcore bridleways and byways and barely see a soul (but shhhh, don't tell anyone as it seems to be a very under-exploited area ;))

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
We are very lucky! Once over the hill, we can go for hours on lovely grassy / hardcore bridleways and byways and barely see a soul (but shhhh, don't tell anyone as it seems to be a very under-exploited area ;))
All round to j1ffy's then for guided hacking tour?? I'll bring a packed lunch ?