Dressage Cob: who needs a warmblood?!

tobiano1984

Visit site
Back in March I bought a couple of unhandled coblets, just as fun projects to follow on from Rupert Turbo Cob. At best I was hoping to turn them into nice allrounders, do a bit of hunting, one of them is well marked so if his legs ever manage to be the same length I think he could do a bit of cob/coloured showing. The other one is poorly marked and wasn't much to look at so I didn't have any great expectations - so imagine our surprise when he was broken in and displayed the most amazing paces! Completely bizarre, given that his sire was a traditional gypsy vanner and mum was a sort of tb/welsh type. Monty is currently being schooled by a professional dressage rider who absolutely loves him (and she is used to big warmbloods) and he's off to his first Prelim comp with her next week. Excited to see what happens!
I just don't know where it comes from - he's just turned 4, and is a complete donkey to handle, but to ride he is superbly comfortable and feels like a 10 year old - has a floating trot, very active shoulder and the most ridiculously balanced canter.

Has anyone else been surprised by unlikely horses?

This is Monty when I bought him:

attachment.php

And this his him now:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Amelia&Maisey

Visit site
Stunning, I bought a 15hh irishx as a baby, and told she would only, jump 2ft max,she is now jumping 1M5 courses with ease competing ! I look forward to the future with her!!

blood_magik

Visit site
my big lad wasn't much to look at (skinny, long legs, long body, head too big for his scrawy wee neck) but boy, can he jump...

when I tried him I he wouldn't stand still and we had no brakes. He's certainly taught me how to ride :tongue3:

mighty attom

Visit site
double wow. I`m a lover of warmblood dressage horses BUT I`m schooling a stocky cob for a friend and I`d compete him against warmbloods any day. I`m now converted to cobs, cheeper to feed and less vet bills too . :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Some of the nicest horses I have ridden have been cobs, my friend had show cobs and they were brilliant to ride light and responsive, he looks lovely good luck at dressage.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I have both, the traditional cob and the warmblood. Both totally different rides but even after all these years, when I see the cob in full flight, he looks so magnificent, he takes my breath away.

Monty looks absolutely fab, I hope you have lots of fun with him.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got a traditional who I will do dressage on. I find a lot of them move nicely. I think the addition of a bit of welsh blood gives them power and lightness, but without too much knee. I always find they get better and better under saddle as they learn to take the weight back and really push from behind :) I'm obviously not aiming for GP with mine, but I expect him to be ok schooling to medium, doing the odd county show class and other RC things, while being tough and very economical to keep. IMHO you cant beat a good cob if your wanting to do well but arent aiming for the olympics :D

Polos

Visit site
He looks lovely!

Just under a year ago I bought a cob x warmblood to get my confidence back and I have been pleasantly surprised by his abilities, his paces are lovely, he is extremely balanced for his type and age and his jump is full of scope and is very very careful (once he stops being stuborn!) He is so cheeky, talented and great fun to ride that my instructor from the continent prefers him to his grand prix sj horses!

Tbh I don't think I'll ever go back to warmbloods, I quite like my little coloured pony and I am really starting to actually riding again :)

tobiano1984

Visit site
And here he is at his first competition at the weekend...scored 63.3% and 65.4% in both Prelim classes which I was verypleased with! The judge was pretty tough and the highest score of the day was 70% so he did pretty well for a first timer, and looked rather sweet in the warm up with all the massive brown warmbloods prancing around him!!

attachment.php

tobiano1984

Visit site
Thanks guys! I'm immensely proud of him - I was intending to sell him once broken in and working well, but I'm a little bit tempted to keep him longer and see what we can do with him...!