Dressage Diva Goes Eventing - Bovington 80Cm Report

burtie

Visit site
Well I thought I'd give this comp report thing a try!

After a successful first event at Larkhill a few weeks ago, I was talked into going to Bovington by my good friend Harriet20.

The course looked up to height and a lot more spooky than Larkhill, but other than a very scary ditch nothing I didn't think we could do so I was reasonably happy.

We had very civilised times with our dressage at 11.26 then about 45mins to the showjumping and 30 mins to the XC which would be tight with the walk back to lorry back to change.

He was a bit excited in the Dressage warm up but soon settled and I was very pleased with his test as he is used to doing Dressage only on a surface. We scored a respectable 25.5. I can honestly say it's my first ever dressage test on a rugby pitch but the surface was lovely!

dress2small.jpg

As we were running a bit late it was a quick change and then a quick hike up to the showjumping. As we got 4 time penalties in the jumping at Larkhill, which is rather embarrassing we knew we had to push on a bit. It felt super fast to the dressage diva in me, but apparently was just right and we got a clear with no time penalties this time! Yeah!

jumpbsmall.jpg

By now I'm getting quite excited and trying not to let my competitive side come out as I know if I rush him on the XC he'll stop or run out. He's not the bravest soul and definitely likes to approach new things from a good SJ canter.

Things didn't get off to a great start when 100 yards out the start box we stopped dead, with him feeling like a startled rabbit. Luckily we got our act together and preceded to the first fence, but I kept him really off the leg in a good SJ canter from this point!

As we progressed I could feel him getting braver and braver and other than a sticky jump over the scary ditch he felt lovely. We came home clear but had trotted a few times and had come back to walk at the water so a knew I was well over the time. In fact I ended up with more time penalties than my Dressage score so we definitely need to work on speed! :) But I was totally thrilled with a double clear and am now looking forward to the next one.

jumpxcasmall.jpg

Pigeon

Visit site
Well done, that's brilliant!! :D Lovely pics too!

Your dressage diva is somewhat braver than mine hehe!!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Well done and thanks for sharing. It really is posts and pics like this that make me feel like putting my brave pants on soon :) My boy is early stages but with bags of potential but a right wimp so its great to see a similar 'less brave' horse go round XC ;)

burtie

Visit site
Well done and thanks for sharing. It really is posts and pics like this that make me feel like putting my brave pants on soon :) My boy is early stages but with bags of potential but a right wimp so its great to see a similar 'less brave' horse go round XC ;)

Definitely get those pants on! With the new BE80 courses springing up it is perfect for those less brave horses. I can't afford to even consider affiliating but all the venues near me run unaf over the same course anyway.

Angua2

Visit site
Well done and thanks for sharing. It really is posts and pics like this that make me feel like putting my brave pants on soon :)

That was exactly my thoughts when I read this thread. Just need my girl to fix sooner rather than later and I may too be grabbing the big brave pants
:D:D:rolleyes:

Jesstickle

Visit site
Great report.

I read the words before looking at the photos and I thought 'gosh, bit rude to call the arena ar rugby pitch' then looked and saw the posts :D

I'm sure as he gets braver XC you'll be unbeatable. 25 dressage score indeed! :eek:

Nicnac

Visit site
Blimmin' heck - 25 dressage and DC. That's impressive. Lovely to read how he grows in confidence going round. Once he gets his speedy pants on you'll be collecting frillies!

(did laugh at the rapid halt 100 yds out tho')

Lolo

Visit site
25 dressage and DC? Go back to dressage, we can't have you coming and showing us up :eek: :D ;) You and your horse look like you're having a blast!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Looking good! :D He sounds a bit like my boy with the rapid halt though; Wibs does that when he spots a fence on the horizon - 'where did that come from?'. Good luck for your next event :)

Looking great, you will get faster xc the more you do! :)

^That! Once he gets the gist of it you'll both be tearing out of the start box!

burtie

Visit site
Thanks for all the lovely comments! I'm sure time will always be a bit of an issue as my boy is known for being 'not the fastest thing on four legs', but he is definitely more perked up by this whole thing than when we just did Dressage, and I think he feels it's far more fun!

slumdog

Visit site
He looks lovely, fab dressage score! I'm dying to have a go at eventing, wish there were some nice unaffliated ones near me!

Jango

Visit site
Well done! He looks fab and speed will come with time! I'm a dressage diva and we did an event at the end of last year and loved it! Try kicking on after you land from a fence to make up some seconds so you can still approach the fences a bit slower til you gain more confidence :)

monte1

Visit site
well done, what a lovely report and great dressage score :) as others have said the more xc you do the faster and braver you get. love your horse, great photos!