Dressage girth rubbing grey horse

beechtree

Visit site
My grey gelding has developed small bare patches on both sides next to his armpit, where his dressage girth goes. (I use a nice leather padded, shaped,Albion girth.)

Can anyone make suggestions so I can stop it getting worse? I’m not really keen on sheepskin covers as I worry they pinch, but I guess I have to cover the girth somehow?

Or do I try a different girth?

TheMule

Visit site
I find leather can rub, especially if the girth is quite wide. I would just put something synthetic and not too broad on

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If his elbows are tight into his ribcage the rubbing could be from that, adding a cover only takes up more room. Sometimes very low profile girths, eg Stubben string, can be a better option, all depends how the rubbing is happening. And elbows tight into the ribcage often indicates less than optimal thoracic sling function too.

beechtree

Visit site
Thank you that’s really interesting,

When you say low profile, I’m guessing you literally mean a narrower girth, is that right? Or shaped differently?

He’s only 5 so not in a huge amount of work yet, I’m still figuring him out (he’s Andalusian)

beechtree

Visit site
If his elbows are tight into his ribcage the rubbing could be from that, adding a cover only takes up more room. Sometimes very low profile girths, eg Stubben string, can be a better option, all depends how the rubbing is happening. And elbows tight into the ribcage often indicates less than optimal thoracic sling function too.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thank you that’s really interesting,

When you say low profile, I’m guessing you literally mean a narrower girth, is that right? Or shaped differently?

He’s only 5 so not in a huge amount of work yet, I’m still figuring him out (he’s Andalusian)

No, thinner, a thick girth takes up space between elbow and ribcage and a cover makes that worse. PREs and Lusis are notorious for being base narrow when young, I would really work on getting that TS functioning from the ground, gives him a much better chance when you're riding.

beechtree

Visit site
No, thinner, a thick girth takes up space between elbow and ribcage and a cover makes that worse. PREs and Lusis are notorious for being base narrow when young, I would really work on getting that TS functioning from the ground, gives him a much better chance when you're riding.
All noted, thank you so much! 🙏