Dressage gurus I need you!

Bendyhorse

Visit site
Curiosity perhaps. Can anyone give me answers/ opinions to the following...

6yr old elementary tests

What are the movements?

Realistically, what horses are expected to be presented?

Are amateurs in with a chance on irish bog ponies? ;)

Has anyone been and got anything back from the experience.

Personal poll to see if this is something we can aim for or shall we stick at hacking out? lol! I kid

Thanks in advance!!

dianchi

Visit site
As per standard elem tests, leg yield, simple changes, medium canter and walk, and some collection paces.

Personally i think its too much for most 6 yo and yes its normally all the leggy warmbloods!

Polotash

Visit site
At one point you could get the young horse tests free from BD... I printed them off once but have never been able to find them again, so if you go a-hunting on the BD website and manage to find them could you post a link here please!

Yes I also think too much for a 6 year old... I think the ones that do well in them will mostly have been in proper work since 3, so for us mere mortals who take our horses more slowly they seem at least 2 years ahead!

kc100

Visit site
This article might help you: http://www.todburnequestriancentre.co.uk/news_story.asp?NewsID=113

Not sure about tests specific for 6 year olds, but with the normal Elementary tests the key differences from Novice are - maintained medium trot rather than just showing a 'few' medium strides. Smaller circles (10m), so your horse needs to be very balanced and supple. 5 loop serpentines; again testing suppleness and balance. Walk to canter transitions; these must show some collection before the transition with the weight in the hindlegs. Leg yielding. Walk pirouettes. Collection.

Have you been working at Elementary level at home? How is he responding to the movements?

I dont think you have to have a posh warmblood to be sucessful in dressage, I have seen plenty of cobs doing well up to a fairly high level - it all depends on the training of the horse. Hence why perhaps 6 years old might be a bit too young to be doing Elem, unless you have been wiping the floor with everyone at Novice?!

I think you should absolutely aim high, any horse can do dressage as long as you train the horse correctly and build the correct muscle. I have a ISH so he's no posh warmblood, he's more suited to the show ring (dressage judges just put 'attractive horse' on my reports!) but we try none the less. We are competing at prelim, working on a few novice/elem movements at home. So it can be done, you just have to work a bit harder than those who have spent a fortune on their posh warmbloods!

Luci07

Visit site
At the lower levels, you can pick up an awful lot of marks by being really accurate with your movements, balance etc. I have seen quite a lot of cobs easily get upto advanced medium as what they lacked in flashy movement, they made up for in other areas, ie, submission, etc etc

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
You should have no problem with the test, just like a normal elementary, however they are judged differently so bit like a 'show' class, so you may feel a bit out of place compared to some, but still nice to do I think. My 6yr old will prob be doing them this year, and he is happily competing elem, working medium, so dont think is too much to ask of him, and he was only broken in as a 4yr old, and not started proberly will the beginning of his 5yr old year.

Bendyhorse

Visit site
Hmmm lots to think about there thanks everyone. I lookedat the test and its not completely un-do-able but if I were to go I would be outclassed. He is a real trier, non spooky and obedient just has a lot of growing into himself to do and no amount of training etc can help him there lol! I dont know whether going would be an embarrassment or a good experience. Or I guess i can keep the test and aim to do it well at home and be pleased with that?

Ho hum we are off to northern camp next week so miracles may occur haha I wouldnt change him x