Dressage help

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ok guys, i'm sure you lovely peeps will be able to help me, i am thinking of giving dressage a bash. This is something i have NEVER done or even considered before but my new mare was bred for dressage and i keep getting such lovely comments about her paces that i thought i might give it a go.

I know NOTHING about dressage as all i have ever know is SJ so can someone please give me some info.

I dont want to do nothing fancy just a simple walk, trot and canter test. she is also only 4yo if that makes a difference in any classes??

I know nothing about the tests or scoring so as much info as poss would be great, i serioulsy am a complete dressage virgin
crazy.gif

Thanks

Fiona

Visit site
Why don't you look around for a local unaffiliated dressage comp, get the appropriate test, and see what transitions/movements are needed. Then practice yourself at home before the comp, or have a couple of lessons with a dressage orientated trainer. Then give it a go. Best of luck.

Fiona

Sal_E

Visit site
Kelly, give it a go!!! I think the absolute best thing you can do is go along & watch some competitions - only watch prelim for now as that's where you'll want to start. Not sure if it's best to watch aff or unaff - may be worth starting at unaff in case aff scares you off a bit... You could also offer to write for a judge for the day, so you get to see it from the 'inside'...

Rambo

Visit site
Oh dear god....Kelly ! What's going on lol!

Enter at 'A' ( also known as the collecting ring !). Jump fences in numerical order...1 to 9 (or more)...keeping a nice collected but productive canter. Exit at 'A' ( as described above)....

Don't do it
shocked.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
lol!

Judie

Visit site
First of all get a copy of the dressage tests, perhaps start with prelim. You will then see that you are required to do certain movements between two markers in the arena, you will be marked out of 10 for each movement. For example 'enter at A in working trot and halt at X' - mark out of 10, next movement and so on.

Then go along to a local competition with your copy of the relevant test and see how others get on, how they conduct themselves, what they wear etc etc, then next time if you feel your horse is ready, enter and go and enjoy it. Don't put yourself under any pressure, especially on a four year old. You will probable get some great feed back which will be your homework before the next one.

Some affliated classes now run an unaffliated section in the same class so you get a qualified judge and can compare yourself to the affliated bods!

Good luck and let us have a progress report!

pfarrugia

Visit site
you could try dressagediagrams.co.uk. On this site you can look at the tests - as you may have guessed it also has diagrams!!!! Try out some of the moves at home (maybe even a whole test) and see if you like it!

Agree with going to watch an unaffiliated one as well. I was really scared going to my first test but everyone was lovely!

Good luck

Kelly1982

Visit site
LOL you crack me up Rambo!!!!
grin.gif

Thanks for your advice everyone, the dressage i am hoping to do is not til October so plenty of time to prepare. I have absolutly no idea what i am doing though so am really scared LOL.

I am going out for a hack on Tuesday with my dressage friend so will ask her for some help and also my mares old owner does quite a bit of judging locally so may ask her if i can go to a show with her one day.

I think your right i need to watch a few tests so i get the idea of whats going on.

What am i letting myself in for ha ha
grin.gif
tongue.gif