Dressage horse dealers / breeders / importers

Wheels

Visit site
I'm starting to look for a dressage horse and researching what lines I like - probably looking at a warmblood of some type

Does anybody have recommendations for dealers or breeders who keep horses to ridden age?

Ideally I would like something backed and ridden away, pref been to a few shows etc. or possibly a youngster ready to be backed

I prefer the chunky types to the lanky ones :D

Wheels

Visit site
Realistically I would hope to get to at least Advanced Medium

But of course dream of Advanced and beyond - even if I don't compete at that level I would like a capable enough horse to at least train to that level

dressage_diva

Visit site
Joe Bright at Bright Dressage - usually has a couple of horses for sale that have done some competing: http://www.brightdressage.com/ Worth giving him a ring even if he hasn't got anything on his website (I bought my WB from him)
Woodcroft Stud
Woodlander Stud
Classic Dressage
Hawtins Stud
Team Chapman Equestrian - they have mixture of horses but they often have some lovely looking dressage horses. Sadly they were too far North when I was looking, but if I was looking again I would probably make the trek!
Coady Bay Stud - don't know if they have many that have been out to many shows

Depends a lot on your budget though!

Wheels

Visit site
I haven't really set a budget yet but I'm thinking in the region of about 8-10k

But part of the reason for the research is to see if I can get what I want for that

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I haven't really set a budget yet but I'm thinking in the region of about 8-10k

But part of the reason for the research is to see if I can get what I want for that

Ahh okay, I'd probably rule out most of the warmblood studs then - our ridden horses start around 20k but they are all by elite mares out of top top stallions and all get ridden away by professionals.

Wheels

Visit site
Thank you that's good to know.

So for me to get what I really want I would need to double the budget - not impossible I don't suppose and it is less risky than the alternative of buying a younger horse and waiting for it to mature and then having all the early training costs and things potentially going wrong in the mean time

Goldenstar

Visit site
At that budget I would be looking for a private sale .
Hard and time consuming and you have to be able spot potential others have missed don't dismiss a warmblood who has been showjumping .I bought a horse like this she was eight just off grade A and trained on on the flat so easily it was some of the best fun I have had .
However she cost the top end of your budget years ago .
You just need to look everywhere but the smart studs will be wanting much more money for a smart straightforward horse that's well started and has been to a couple of shows .
If you can go younger you will get more choice buying a three year
You might also look at some of the cheaper importers but you need your eyes wide wide open for that .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I saw a lovely mare on here yesterday kwpn by Valdez scoring upper 60's at novice I only looked at the advert as she reminded me of my mare I am no way connected, bit over your budget but I think she sounded really lovely might be worth a look.

Luci07

Visit site
Where are you based? I keep my horse at a yard which is very dressage orientated so could ask my YO? she seems to know everyone in the BD world around here. She does have a couple of youngsters at different stages but I have no idea of price or what she is aiming them for. Though if the 4 year ended in my stocking I would be eternally grateful (but think he has more of an eventing career in line!)

Wheels

Visit site
I'm in Northern Ireland and there isn't much choice in dressage horses here.

At the moment I'm at the research stage trying to decide exactly what I want and looks like I'll have to rethink the budget.

Irish gal

Visit site
Would you think of broadening out the search a bit wheels as in look at an Irish horse with continental breeding in the mix, with the movement for dressage. That would fit your budget. There are some nice ones around.

ihatework

Visit site
On a budget of 8-10k id go for SJ lines. In fact, for amateur dressage I'd probably actively avoid the big bucks pro produced fancy dressage lines. If you are in Ireland you should get a nice rising 5 year old - avoid anything overproduced, it's usually a false economy.

Wheels

Visit site
Would you think of broadening out the search a bit wheels as in look at an Irish horse with continental breeding in the mix, with the movement for dressage. That would fit your budget. There are some nice ones around.

Yes I won't rule anything out at this stage

spacefaer

Visit site
I worked for a show jumping family a couple of years ago, starting their homebred youngsters . Most of the 3 & 4 yr olds I was working with moved well enough to do pure dressage, and they would have all been in your price range . All homebred out of smart jumping mares, by continental stallions (AI)

Micropony

Visit site
My YOs produce WB youngsters and they do have some very lovely ones but for something nicely started and to have gone out for a bit of school hire or a couple of low key shows I would agree with others about needing to double your budget.

They aim to buy foals that look to be good enough for the top levels but have the temperaments to be good amateur horses in case they aren't quite good enough for the very top. Having watched them do 5 or 6 a year for a few years now, my observation would be that it can take a while to get your eye in for that, so be cautious, especially if you go the route of getting something that's not been started.

Would also second the advice about considering a jumping bred horse who moves really well. That's what I bought and I can't tell you how pleased I am with him. A lot of dressage horses are bred super sharp these days, which if you're an amateur wanting to be able to ride on your own in the evenings etc. may not be terribly practical. Or fun!

When I was looking I was advised to be wary of Metall/Ferro and Jazz, especially on the sire line, as there are good odds they will be seriously sharp and aren't always for any but the most experienced amateur. I haven't known many Jazz horses, but have known a few Metalls and, shall we say, they certainly wouldn't suit me! One of them would regularly (but not frequently IYKWIM) deck his rider, and she rode for a living up to GP and was certainly no numpty!

4faults

Visit site
Would you consider buying a youngster you could then maybe send to a professional to back and ride away for you? If so I would highly recommend Vecthom Sporthorses. I have had 2 very well bred, well put together horses from Jennifer who were just what she said and all together it would come inside your budget

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I also have a Vecthom youngster, who I backed myself. Her horses are all reasonably priced and you could easily buy and have it backed within your budget. They do sell pretty quick though and sometimes by video alone. I wasn't confident buying from video so I went to view, but I booked my viewing within hours of the video going up and viewed the next day.
As for SJ lines that move well I think most do. My mare is a SJ (eldorado van de zeshoek x landwind mare (from loma line)) and in the only dressage competition we have done she scored 7 for her paces and an 8 for her canter despite being super green and a bit spooky.

Wheels

Visit site
Thank you

Yes I would consider a youngster and then either back myself or send away but obviously that is a bigger risk for me but not something I would rule out