Dressage Horses - Astrid Bolton???

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would get lots of xrays and scans done - they are expensive animals after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
grin.gif

Emshad

Visit site
SpottedCat would definitley be getting a thorough vets examination before any purchase as with any horse
smile.gif
- Miller I shall pm you - TableDancer would you like to elaborate??
wink.gif

Amaretto

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Get blood tests done if having one vetted and have them tested...

[/ QUOTE ]

She gives you a list of vets she will allow to vet her horses to choose from. The reason she gives is that a few of her horses have been injured during vettings, so they have to be one of the vets from the list.

Also know of a few people who have made an offer on a horse subject to x-rays, and she will not allow x-rays to be taken. Says it's because it takes up too much time, she has to pay extra in groom's wages so the horse can be accompanied by the vet etc, and that she will sell the horse anyway to someone, so it isn't worth her while to go through the x-ray process.

A lot of horses are priced at 9.5K, because generally, anything over 10K needs to have a full set of clean x-rays to get cover. I know she sells quite a few over that amount too though, so either they already have a set, or the buyer isn't bothered about x-rays.

But if it were me, I would want the x-rays and a vet of my choice, especially if I was spending a lot on a competition horse.

Not saying there is anything wrong with her horses (I know a lot of people who are very happy with their Astrid horses) - just know that this is her policy.

Amaretto

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, who would ever buy a competition horse without x-rays and with a vetting done by an unknown vet??

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually know one of the vets on the list, who is very good...but like you say, getting it done by an unknown vet wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Yes, sorry, I phrased it badly. I didn't mean to question the professionalism of these vets at all, or hint they are not good; I just know that it would be quite hard for me to trust a vet I've never even met before, especially if I am paying quite a lot of money. Same for x-rays, it's just unbelievable!

The reasons she apparently gives for not allowing other vets / x-rays just do not sound plausible to me. It's all so odd; I don't know any dealer who says anything like that -- surely the small risk of a horse getting injured while being vetted is something every dealer has to take into consideration? In a way, it's part and parcel of their job? And does it really happen so frequently to be an issue?

Maybe her horses are wonderful and all perfect and perfectly healthy, but those two issues would really, really put me off if I was looking for one to buy.

diggerbez

Visit site
as above i'd be careful and get a full vetting and xrays. if she wouldn't allow my vet then i wouldn't be buying. imho i think her 4 year olds are overproduced so i'd only buy an unbroken horse from her...but then friends have been pleased with horses they have bought from her too...
smile.gif

VRIN

Visit site
There have been pervios posts with same subject - might be worth a search through and see what comments have been made

Andiamo

Visit site
I'm resurrecting this thread...to see if anyone has had any recent / past experiences to add?

I'm a bit concerned by what's on here already, about not being about to do xrays etc.

I rang about a couple of horses she has on H&H today, and they're POA (hmmmm). She said they're sold (have been agreed & vetted), but since they haven't been picked up yet, they're still available to buy. If I was the buyer of those horses, I'd be a bit miffed that she's saying they're still for sale. She wouldn't give out prices of them though, wouldn't give me any inkling of price range at all, but insisted to know my budget. Following on from the POA thread today, this gets my back up...

The horses she has look amazing though! Very tempting. Please feel free to PM if you have any experiences that might be helpful, good or bad is fine.

Mearas

Visit site
I can't say I know anything about this yard but I would always be anxious about a yard that would not allow you to use your choice of vet. :(

Andiamo

Visit site
yes, I wonder if that is still the case, considering the comments were from 2009?

Hoping someone with recent experience can provide some insight!

Stoxx

Visit site
Barge pole springs to mind. I know more horses that have come out of there that have things wrong with them than not.

And yes the vet and x-ray scenario still the same as far as I am aware.

Andiamo

Visit site
Thank you everyone, it's really helpful.

I'll need a barge pole I think! Shame, because the horses look nice. But it's pretty unscrupulous to say a horse that was awaiting being picked up / paid for by a buyer (after being vetted) - it still for sale until it steps onto the lorry.

Yes, Measles, if I was in the buyer's shoes, I'd be outraged as well.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would be outraged if I had viewed a horse, had it vetted and (assuming it had passed & I had indicated I was going ahead) the horse was being viewed by other potential buyers.

Me too however as a buyer I always get them off the yard the day after the vetting it's easy and "clean " that way.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The reasons she apparently gives for not allowing other vets / x-rays just do not sound plausible to me. It's all so odd; I don't know any dealer who says anything like that -- surely the small risk of a horse getting injured while being vetted is something every dealer has to take into consideration? In a way, it's part and parcel of their job? And does it really happen so frequently to be an issue?

I'm a breeder not a dealer - and I do allow any vet wanted by the buyer - but I'd be VERY prepared to step in and stop the vet doing something 'unreasonable' - I did have one vet ask for (ridden) 15m figures of 8 from a just backed 3 year old! :eek: And I bought back a mare I had bred after it failed a vetting for someone else - the owner had it SO fat and unfit that it tied up DURING the vetting - obviously the owner was stupid to let a horse get into that condition but any vet with eyes should have seen it was NOT fit for hard work and advised the buyer that it would be unsafe to work it hard enough for a totally complete vetting! And she was not an expensive dressage horse. And I've heard of vets asking for the lunge on small circle on a firm surface to be done on concrete :eek: that's more than a small risk!!

Bradders19

New User
Visit site
Hi

I have recently been to view a horse at astrid boltons yard. I have been given some worrying feedback through a friend of a friends experience with her. Does anyone have any comments/ feedback please pm if you wish

Thanks

noname

Visit site
Crickey!
Had a friend that went to the yard in question and she was not allowed to ride the horse. Could only watch the rider on it as they said she did not want the horse ruined. (Friend was very experienced). If the horse is broken and in work, I'd expect to ride it. You can always tell someone to get off and that your not selling it to them! Hardly going to do that much damage in 10 mins.