Dressage judges and BTV (article)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
This is what I have thought for years , it seemed to
Improve when Valegro won so much but sadly seems to be worse now. People used to say was a good rider Edward Gal was because he managed to ride such hot horses ,not my view as I felt he had created the behaviour. looking at the so called training methods which have recently been shown I wonder if the horses being labelled as hot were just scared as they have been used to harsh methods to obtain results especially in passage and piaffe. Let’s hope that all this publicity will change the way of judging these horses

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
“Since this effect was observed regardless of the competition level, it is suggested that the flexed posture itself rather than the rider’s skills or the training level of the horse is the main factor inducing conflict behaviour.”

They really must change the judging, BTV is now clearly a welfare issue.

Tail swishing was penalised back in the 80s but riders complained and that was removed, wrongly IMO.

reynold

Visit site

Swiss study on btv gaining higher marks. Interesting that the study looked at both the warmup and the competition arenas and considered stress, such as tail swishing.

Article contains some interesting perspective comments from Stephen Clarke