Dressage judging

windand rain

Visit site
Interesting watching the intro and prelim classes today at a local venue

horse one did a rhythmic even paced test but was bent the wrong way spooking at the boards, horse was in the vertical thoughout with a steady head carriage and light and forward going moving from behind.

Horse two no rhythm fast, slow, falling in on and off the bit but bent correctly when asked cutting corners and a bit spooky, on the forehand

horse three above the bit lacking rythmn and ridden without contact rider made no real effort to engage it in anything.

horse four nice rhythm above the bit and very unsteady in its head look unlevel due to the head movement

Horse 5 lolopy and on the forehand, spooky but rhythm not bad, back legs in the next county so no engage ment

How would you place them felt a bit sorry for the judge I was a spectator so means nothing to me so you wont insult me I am also aware that its my observaton and its purely subjective I was jusr below the juding box at c so had pretty much the same view

Sukistokes2

Visit site
At intro and prelim I would always go for rhythm over and above anything else. Most horses at that level are young and not ready to carry a consistent outline. As a writer for a judge I watch a lot of tests and it is always the forward going horses that do well. Heads pulled behind the vertical or even done at that age often block the shoulder or present hollow. It is more pleasing to watch a forward horse in a rhythm then one that is not happy in its work. I would look to see the rider apply a nice consistent contact, I would not want to see any sawing or other methods to make the horse lower its head, a young horse, or an older horse new to schooling needs to develop the muscle for that to happen. A forced outline, formed with a harsh hand is the work of the devil.

kc100

Visit site
There wouldnt be much in it to be honest....all sounds pretty poor so they'd not be separated by much score wise in my opinion.

Would probably place horse 1 first in the Intro, as the head was steady, it was going forwards and rhythm was good. The rest of them you could argue the toss but all sound like they shouldnt really be out doing dressage just yet if they cant get a steady rhythm and if the steps were looking uneven. Maybe horse 5 in second place if I had to choose....

But if I were judging I'd probably have them all on similar scores, with the horse making uneven steps lowest placed.

If they were like that at Intro then I dread to think what they all looked like in canter.....

I do feel for judges as well when they get a bad bunch at Intro/Prelim level, they are trying to be encouraging and helpful for the rider but if they are presented with something that cant even keep a steady rhythm, makes no attempt of any outline and then some of them are showing uneven steps - its really hard to be constructive with their criticism! Spooking is fine on occasion but the rest of the time the rider should be able to correct it, get it back into some sort of outline, off the forehand and ride an accurate test with decent rhythm. If they cant do that they really should be focussing on having lessons at home, instead of paying money to enter competitions and spending money on fuel etc.

be positive

Visit site
There wouldnt be much in it to be honest....all sounds pretty poor so they'd not be separated by much score wise in my opinion.

Would probably place horse 1 first in the Intro, as the head was steady, it was going forwards and rhythm was good. The rest of them you could argue the toss but all sound like they shouldnt really be out doing dressage just yet if they cant get a steady rhythm and if the steps were looking uneven. Maybe horse 5 in second place if I had to choose....

But if I were judging I'd probably have them all on similar scores, with the horse making uneven steps lowest placed.

If they were like that at Intro then I dread to think what they all looked like in canter.....

I do feel for judges as well when they get a bad bunch at Intro/Prelim level, they are trying to be encouraging and helpful for the rider but if they are presented with something that cant even keep a steady rhythm, makes no attempt of any outline and then some of them are showing uneven steps - its really hard to be constructive with their criticism! Spooking is fine on occasion but the rest of the time the rider should be able to correct it, get it back into some sort of outline, off the forehand and ride an accurate test with decent rhythm. If they cant do that they really should be focussing on having lessons at home, instead of paying money to enter competitions and spending money on fuel etc.

While I agree with your sentiments to some extent at unaff local level many people are very inexperienced, are having regular lessons and trying to improve but without going to a comp they have no idea what to expect, how they or their horse will react in a new environment, they see intro/ prelim as a starting point and want to have a go, if they are not ready or the horse performs below it's normal level they may take stock and do more homework, to suggest they all stay at home until they can ride a decent test is unfair to many, the venues that put the classes on would suffer a loss of revenue, maybe they would be better putting on training classes where the rider does a test then the judge gives pointers on how to improve rather than giving a sheet full of "constructive criticism" that gives the rider a false sense of their achievement.

Not being well prepared is an issue in all forms of competition, dressage at least is "safe" for a green horse and rider, I went to a hunter trial yesterday with a horse doing it's first ever comp, ex racehorse, very few people were able to jump round looking safe and competent, many had all the gear and looked the part but had numerous stops on the way round, should they all stay at home or be limited to schooling until they can almost guarantee a clear? probably, in my view, but they want to have some fun, learn from their mistakes and hopefully improve for next time, our little horse went clear and learnt loads he had had very little xc schooling, just once properly, but had a good rider who knows how to set up for success and educate a green horse having had plenty of previous experience, most people do not have the experience to know when they are ready to go out so have to go out to find their level.

samsbilly

Visit site
I spent my Sunday judging intro tests. It is a really fine line between judging them accurately and judging them in a way that encourages them to keep working and improving and wanting to keep competing.
Some of the tests I judged were horrible but had I marked them as I wanted to the competitors would probably never want to compete again. I try and judge them fairly and rewards when things are correct. My marks ranged from a 3 to 7.5. I also try and write something constructive at the end. I am also more than happy to chat with competitors after their class.
I would rather watch a quite accurate test than a test where the rider is pulling the horse in the mouth and booting it forward.
Everyone has to start somewhere. The thing that got me the most yesterday was how little effort people had put into turnout. Some competitors didn't look like they even bothered to wash there jods.

Goldenstar

Visit site
At Unaffiliated intro you just trying to give some guidance with the comments and encourage people so they think there's some reason to try to improve / learn .
It's very difficult if you marked it straight and gave 2 to 4 it would just discourage so many .
But it's a really hard job because sometimes your sitting there think what can I say that honest and helpful but does not come across as dressage being something that not for those starting out without help and support .
I disagree with the comment above the last time I judged unaffilated intro I was struck by how hard people had tried with their turnout even if the choices where pretty funky by BD standards .

samsbilly

Visit site
I have judged at this venue before and most people do make an effort but yesterday I would say only 5 or so riders had made an effort.

alice.j

Visit site
... at unaff local level many people are very inexperienced, are having regular lessons and trying to improve but without going to a comp they have no idea what to expect, how they or their horse will react in a new environment, they see intro/ prelim as a starting point and want to have a go, if they are not ready or the horse performs below it's normal level they may take stock and do more homework ...

This is why I'm doing intros on my pony, despite his occasional lack of impulsion, his spookiness and his nose in the air! (he's getting better!). It's all well and good practicing the tests at home but without actually competing, I have no idea if the improvement I think I can see and feel is actually there. Plus it's really good experience for both of us - I've been riding for years but not competitively, I've done some showing and a few fun comps at my riding school when younger, but I've never even cantered in a dressage test! I dream of one day competing at BD, but at the level I am at, and that of the horses I will be riding over the next few years (hopefully), unaffiliated dressage is a good place to settle into for now!