Dressage legal bit for a horse currently in a dutch gag?

timbobs

Visit site
Hi,

I would love some advice on dressage legal bits for my horse. We are going to do our first walk and trot test in a few weeks, so I want to start schooling him in a dressage legal bit.

He is an ex-racer and has a naturally high head carriage. He came to me in a 3-ring gag and I would like to move over to a snaffle.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have tried him in a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge which he didn't like at all.

thanks for your help!

timbobs

Visit site
I have a loose ring jointed snaffle on the list! Thanks! He doesn't like a rider to be fussy with their hands so was wondering about a Mullen mouthpiece. Does anyone have any feedback on these?

kayleigh97

New User
Visit site
For my very strong headed mare- usually in a waterford pelham!- at home i school in a dressage legal myler bit, then on the day of the dressage i change her into a hanging cheek with flash. The change of bit seems to keep her happy, and with the hanging cheek you have a sight amount of poll-pressure! Good luck, hope you find something he likes!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Loose ring in the same mouthpiece as the gag?

this, mine goes in a thinish single joint loose ring (hates a lozenge, ok in a french link), and cheaper to try than a myler etc in the first instance.

Please note physics means there is no poll pressure on a hanging cheek, they just hold the bit differently/more still in the mouth.

SparkleB

Visit site
I have a loose ring jointed snaffle on the list! Thanks! He doesn't like a rider to be fussy with their hands so was wondering about a Mullen mouthpiece. Does anyone have any feedback on these?

my strong exracer schools happily in a eggbutt mullen happy mouth. He likes a consistent contact without too much fuss.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah yes I missed that, definitely if fussy maybe a mullen + hanging cheek which works well for Mum's fussy anglo.

timbobs

Visit site
Thanks for all the quick replies! Lots of suggestions! Will get on ebay tonight and buy a few different options and see what works best!

He doesn't like too much fuss in his mouth, but I'm not sure if he would lean on a Mullen mouth. Trial and error I guess!

Burmilla

Visit site
Rather than go on eBay, how about looking at bit bank sites? Lots of advice available, and you can return a bit which doesn't suit and get almost all your money back.
I have found french link hanging cheek snaffles useful in the past. They seem to stay more still in the horse's mouth.
Anyway, good luck, and if you find a bit that suits your horse, please be kind enough to let us know!

timbobs

Visit site
Rather than go on eBay, how about looking at bit bank sites? Lots of advice available, and you can return a bit which doesn't suit and get almost all your money back.
I have found french link hanging cheek snaffles useful in the past. They seem to stay more still in the horse's mouth.
Anyway, good luck, and if you find a bit that suits your horse, please be kind enough to let us know!

Thanks Burmilla, will take a look!

Will let you know what he goes best in once I've tried a few :)

Thanks for your help everyone!

timbobs

Visit site
Just thought I'd update on this! I tried a hanging cheek with the same mouthpiece as my usual bit and he went really well in it! So I'm happy :) and the sun is out!