dressage legal bit opinions for strong, hyper horse

aliciahardie

New User
Visit site
I have a 9yo 17hh TB who has always been quite easy and I have always flatworked in a loose ring french link snaffle. Recently she had decided that she is in fact a TB and likes to go fast, at our last event we managed to canter pretty much our whole dressage test, not at full speed but just couldnt get her to get back to trot, just kept getting more and more collected canter, also every time we did a change of diagonal she broke as well. safe to say it wasnt a very good result! In the school she is great, still going well in the snaffle but as soon as we get onto the grass she is off again! looking for some advice of what bits to try, everyone seems to have their own opinion but its a case of finding something that works for my mare but is also dressage legal, now doing as much schooling as possible in the field! Given a hanging cheek snaffle a go the past couple of days still with no luck! Given myself 2 months off with no comps to try and get bits sorted so fingers crossed next one will go better!

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Can only say basic schooling , including work on the ground to soften and get her listening. no quick fix es...however, with a super-hyper dressage horse of our own, a Micklem bridle has been a great help.

eggs

Visit site
What level are you competing at? One of mine started competing at elementary so that she could be ridden in a double bridle although she is usually ridden in a snaffle at home.

**Vanner**

Visit site
Was going to suggest hanging cheek just for the leverage, but as you said you're using one not much else is legal and stronger until you get to a double.

Although biting bigger isn't the answer and you do right with schooling on grass.

aliciahardie

New User
Visit site
pre novice eventing so no double allowed! will try playing with her feed and see if that helps, may just have to put up with bad dressage scores and make up for it with sj and xc