Dressage legal bits -with brakes!!

TequilaMist

Visit site
Mare(warmblood if it makes any different) goes beautifully in a myler combination bit. You can get some really nice work out of her get her nice and light in front and truly working from behind not just looking pretty BUT put her in another bit and its not good.Gets really really strong and when you think shes given in and lightened so stop asking shes off again so you get to stage you just dont't relax which doesn't help.This has been going on for a long time now so tbh feel like shooting her!!(its ok I wont just bloody frustrating)
Its like you cant relax or she takes advantage! Had back/teeth etc done and goes nice in myler so don't think its anything other than she respects it a bit more.

millikins

Visit site
I'm bumping this as would like to hear suggestions. Have one similar, Connie who can school nicely, has very good paces, usually gives you a double clear but ruins every dressage test with jogging and tension.

sleepykitten

Visit site
Hi, I have a similar problem, I want to start doing dressage with my mare, but she is a tank!!

I usually ride in a waterford dutch gag and a grackle as she is really straong, but obviously will be shot for that in dressage, so I got a french link hanging cheek snaffle and a flash noseband, which, I believe, are dressage legal.

My schooling is on hold at the moment as our fields are just mud with all the rain, but I have been hacking her out in it instead and gradually asking for more and more contact on it, and hacking her in an outline to get her used to it and respect it. it is slow going though and I struggle holding her in anything faster than a trot atm, but its my plan to continue hacking in it and schooling in it until she respects it more, besides, I would much prefer not having to ride in a bit as severe as a waterford dutch gag :rolleyes:

cornbrodolly

Visit site
If you hack 'in an outline' for periods longer than,say, 5 minutes out of 1/2 hr, all you are doing is numbing her to a bit , leading to resentment . no wonder she is strong! Think about the reward for lightness - does she ever get any? Try a second s ask for outline , and if she gives it, give the reins to her. Reward any try. Hacking should be relaxing and enjoyable for you both , not a constant drilling for outline. Sorry to sound harsh, but false head carriage is one of my bugbears - you ll never get true collection and self carriage by just holding the reins in.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thanks for replies.
We have tried various bits including a myler with port bit but she really didn't like that one went straight up!!Found her a bit better in the warmer metals KK Hanging cheek,loose ring nueschule verdiband .The nueschule is currently what we ride in with a flash for dressage but we either have no brakes or she refuses to listen.She already has a really big canter that throws you out of saddle - wonderful to watch hell to sit to!!Not looking to go grand prix or anything it would be nice to ride a dressage test and either not have her running away with you or have your arm so sore cos you are arguing with her.

Have tried just dropping her and trying not to get into the argument with her(instructor says horse does talk you into it tho) but she just gets faster,drop her head and goes,tried holding her and pushing on with legs just goes faster everything is faster to get away from doing things but in the combination she will listen even get a nice leg yield down side of school.She basically listens!!

sleepykitten

Visit site
If you hack 'in an outline' for periods longer than,say, 5 minutes out of 1/2 hr, all you are doing is numbing her to a bit , leading to resentment . no wonder she is strong! Think about the reward for lightness - does she ever get any? Try a second s ask for outline , and if she gives it, give the reins to her. Reward any try. Hacking should be relaxing and enjoyable for you both , not a constant drilling for outline. Sorry to sound harsh, but false head carriage is one of my bugbears - you ll never get true collection and self carriage by just holding the reins in.

Yikes!

I'm only asking for a little at a time, usually she is ridden on the buckle end at walk and I'm terrible for having only one hand on the reins most of the time. She is only strong in canter really but I'm only trying to achieve an outline as we are usually happy hackers and I tend to be very lazy and just let her pootle along at her own leisure!

Pixxie

Visit site
Cornbrodolly I think I've misunderstood your post or I hope I have ate you saying that horses should not hack in an outline/on the bridle? When my mare hacks out it is required of her to work correctly on the bridle about 90% of our hack even if only walking she is allowed to go on the buckle when we are on the home stretch as she would be at the end of a schooling session. OR as I said have I misunderstood and your argument is related to the manner in which horses are brought 'into an outline' for want of a better phrase lol

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thank you EO will look into it.Never used the myler as it had hooks just that she didn't like it.Never knew that ported bits weren't allowed.

Luci07

Visit site
I work my youngster when out in a hack as he needs to be having things to think about or will find some thing else to entertain him!

Zargon_91

Visit site
I had this problem with my old cob, he was incredibly strong and also very clever... Weirdly though the best think I found for him was a straight bar happy mouth! I'd go for a fixed cheek rather than loose ring though- I think you are allowed to use fulmer loops if you ride in a full cheek snaffle which gives some leverage. I'd also reccommend using a bit which is curved across the tongue so there is no pinching and the running isn't from pain/for evasion. Also you might wanna do some ground work- id reccommend lunging in a Pessoa because then they can only pull against themselves and have to learn to slow down and balance themselves :) best of luck!

Auslander

Visit site

and hacking is a great place to start asking for a little more outline. Most horses are more forward when they're out and about, far easier to achieve a nice forward walk/trot, with the horse pushing through from behind up to a light contact. You make it sound as if roundness is a chore for the horse - asked for correctly, it shouldn't be. I hack out on a good length of rein, with the horse in a much longer frame than when schooling, but stlll round and connected. I regularly give the rein and allow them to stretch down, but expect them to stay round as I give. Can't abide seeing horses slopping along on the buckle with their heads in one county, and their arses in another. Mine are relaxed, but using themselves correctly, so less likely to trip, stmble, wander all over the road, or whip round when something spooks them. I have no objection to them mooching around - as long as it's in the field, during their leisure time.