Dressage: low marking judges

comet!

Visit site
If you saw that a judge was judging who looked like a particularly low marker, what would you do?

I don't know the judge and they haven't judged me before, but just made the mistake of googling them. The results I saw are low to mid 50s. I could be wrong and it's just brought up low scores and these could have just been bad days, but as my confidence is easily knocked, I'm wondering if I should just give it a miss.

Pigeon

Visit site
I feel I know my horse well enough to know if he went well :) So I set myself markers like - did I ride effectively, was he listening, did I remember the test :eek: And if I'm happy that I met those markers, and judge marked horribly, I just chuck away the sheet :D I've got 54% and 70% before in the same week, it's so subjective, not worth taking to heart :)

sarahann1

Visit site
I'd still go, if they are a consistently low marker when you are judged by them again you have a bench mark :)

I score for my local dressage group and riding club and there are those judges who seem to score lower, but when the whole class is scored like that everyone is in the same boat. I've seen big classes where the top score is no more than about 61%.

miss_c

Visit site
I don't mind a low marker so long as they are consistent throughout the class. Unless of course I'm trying to get Q points so need a certain score... ;)

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I don't mind a low marker so long as they are consistent throughout the class. Unless of course I'm trying to get Q points so need a certain score... ;)

This! Are they Listed and do you need points for qualification purposes? If not I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the comments were reflective of the way of going I'd just take the score on the chin.

Not sure how accurate or representative a Google search is for a judge's scores though.

comet!

Visit site
Yes, I need 2 points (so a 65%) for the summer regionals. I think I'll go and see what the scores are like when I get there as I'm after about 3hrs of classes. If they are all 50s, then I'll probably skip that class.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Is there an alternative competiton you can go to? If not why not just do the class? The worst thing that will happen is you don't qualify, best case is you do!

I wouldn't skip a competition just because the judge is a low marker... different if I had a choice of two comps!

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Still plenty of time to get your qualification though. If you really don't think you'll get the 65% then save your money (time and effort) and go somewhere else. No point racking up worthless points unnecessarily.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Still plenty of time to get your qualification though. If you really don't think you'll get the 65% then save your money (time and effort) and go somewhere else. No point racking up worthless points unnecessarily.

this.unless you need a run.

you do get to know certain judges foibles-i can do the same test and get 66% from one judge but know it would barely scrape 60% from a few certain individuals (known for being measly markers).

ive entered my second inter 1 SQ on sat and also made the mistake of searching to find out who normally judges the higher classes at this venue-its either a really nice, helpful judge who i rate, or the most demented,random, nonsensical judge ive ever come across!!! waiting to see who it is on sat but if its the latter will be tempted to WD as its 3hr travelling plus diesel etc.

Visit site

This. And I have not spent ££ on diesel & entry fees. And I am only doing blinking prelim!! Should really be just concentrating on how I think I have done, in context with schooling/last outing, but those pesky points and the thought of actually going to a regional do tend to change my view. Only been out twice affiliated, although won class at first event, low scoring judge but came3rd at second comp x2 and got 9 points.... ;)

MiaBella

Visit site
Firstly did you see any of the previous results that included a combination you know well and know how you often score in comparison to them (so you know they normally get x percent and you are a x percent behind/in front of them) as it might be that the low marks were due to the standard of the class (not a mean judge).

There is also the possiblity that the judge will find your test to their liking and reward you for it (have found some judges who tend to be harsher can also be quite generous if what they want to see is shown).

There is also the possibility that the judge has had more training since then or is making use of the half marks and giving better marks. There is one I know of who is reknowned for not giving qualifying scores but since half marks they have been giving higher scores (I think that before they didn't think a horse worthy of a 7 so gave a 6, but now are giving 6.5s because they recognise its more than a 6 if not quite worth a 7 still)

Tiffany

Visit site
if the judge was marking low throughout the class at least they are consistent. I would look at score and comments and if they reflect the way my horse went and the way I rode on that day then fine.
Some judges are too generous in my view.