Dressage - missing a movement

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I'm having canter issues - my mare has decided she doesn't see the point in cantering when doing flatwork. We have only started cantering in the school the past couple of weeks, previously it had been out hacking or when jumping. I'm planning on doing a prelim tomorrow for the first time and we are having a mental block with canter transitions - sometimes we get them no bother and others she just hops a stride then trots (doesn't rush the trot, just won't carnter). Teeth have just been done, she's now in a Micklem which she seems to love, saddle has been recently checked by a saddle fitter I trust and she has physio 3 monthly (as do I) to keep on top of things - we haven't had the vet out yet but that is the next option if the canter issue continues - I do think it is just a balance issue though.

But the million dollar question is - if we fluff it up and don't get the transition, how many points will we lose, and how bad do we have to be to be eliminated?

tractorgirl

Visit site
You won't be eliminated unless you leave the arena. If you don't get a transition to canter at all, they may mark the canter movements as zero. I would suggest that if you don't get it first time, do keep calm, rebalance and try again, even if you manage a stride or two you would probably get a mark. Try not to get tense (though I appreciate that's easier said than done!) and don't let it affect the movement afterwards. Its all a learning experience at this stage, stay positive and try to visualise it all going well, it does help! Good luck, do let us know how you do?

be positive

Visit site
You wont get eliminated, if you miss out the movement without even trying you will get a 0, if you try and fail you will get a mark but it will reflect the performance, or lack of, I have taken horses out to compete that have failed to canter correctly in the test but in this case where you cannot get canter at home and the horse is struggling, possibly due to a physical reason or at least confusion I would probably stay at home rather than risk upsetting a young horse that is in the early stages of her training, it may be a waste of entry fees but that would bother me far less than what it could do for her future if she gets stressed.