Dressage on a grey pony

schneeko

Visit site
My lovely friend has bought a little grey forester to enjoy in her retirement and do a little bit of dressage. She's got herself a navy blue tweed jacket, beige jods and ivory gloves. What colour saddle pad would you go for? Has anyone got any photos of a grey in an ivory/champagne/beige pad? We like the idea of ivory to match her gloves but we're not sure if it will just make him look dirty

Thanks in advance :)

oldie48

Visit site
Sorry i'm going to disagree. I have a coloured horse and he looks hideous in white but he looks stunning in dark brown. If I had the grey I'd match it to the jacket with a navy pad. White or light colours just make a grey look dirty and the BD rulebook says saddle cloths may be white/cream or of a dark conservative colour.

schneeko

Visit site
I do agree, I'm a 'white breeches and pad with a plain navy jacket' person myself but we just fancied something a bit different as a white pad doesn't do much for him as a little grey pony :S

Lucky788

Visit site
I use a black pad for dressage on my grey, I found lighter colours just seem to clash on him.
If your friend has a blue tweed jacket maybe a navy one?

MissJessica

Visit site
White or cream/champagne for me, I'm traditional & feel excited to get the pad out as its only ever used for dressage.
I use white on my grey. Know people who use champagne on palomino, coloured and bay horses which looks beautiful. X

debbien

Visit site
I have a coloured horse and white makes him look grubby however much I scrub him! I was dubious but my dressage diva friend said "check your rule book, white is not compulsory, any plain colour is allowed" Dougal now wears a black saddlecloth and looks v. smart indeed.

PolarSkye

Visit site
What colour grey is he? If he's darker/dapple/iron grey, then white will look very smart - however, if he's like my fleabitten boy who has a creamier base coat and loads of chestnut-y fleabites, white will make him look dirty. Kali wears a medium grey square for dressage and it looks extremely smart - it has a very slight blue/purple tinge to it and goes well with Z's navy Pikeur jacket. Saddle is black.

debbien above is correct - any conservative colour is permitted.

P

schneeko

Visit site
Thanks guys :) he's got steel grey legs but his body is flea bitten so i'm decidedly against white. I'll see if I can borrow a champagne type colour and see how it looks, if all else fails he can wear his normal navy one

Embo

Visit site
I use white on mine. Doesn't make him look dirty at all, in fact it makes his dapples really stand out.