Dressage peeps

pocket

Visit site
Can anyone tell me when is the best time to affiliate? What level should I be working at and what sort of scores should I be achieving at present?

I am competing at prelim/novice at present and usually placed with scores of around 65%.

This year has been mainly showing, but have become very disillusioned by the entering at Novice level and competing against producers who are not novice......... and then having comments such as 'too forward going for a hunter' and when the hunt does go past, my horse is the only horse not to rear/buck or try to throw their rider! Which horse would you rather ride at a hunt?

I'm not bitter or a bad looser, but would like to compete against novice horses in a novice class as it is advertised. I thought this just happened in the MM classes but it seems its across the board, no wonder showing is loosing its appeal.

So back to dressage for me, I wish I had never put it on the back burner.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I say go for it, you have some good scores.

I had only done one novice test unaffliated before i affliated my previous horse which we got 61 or 62%. He did just fine out affliated getting points on every outing bar 2 which were days when the judge was marking really low (2nd on 55%). At the end of the year we had 31 points not bad for a horse people kept telling me to get rid off as he was naff!

If you get over 58% you qualify for the Area festivals, which i went to and got placed there.

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi Pocket,

I have just affiliated after getting scores of 62 - 64% in prelim and novice and usually getting placed 3rd or 4th. My first time out resulted in two nov scores of 64.5% and a first and second place. Affiliated judges are taught to use the scales of training when marking which makes the marking much more accurate and specific to the test and level which is not always the case with unaffiliated.

Its great to have some points too.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I'm no expert (i'm still playing unaff dressage, I'm lucky if I get over 60%) but with those scores I would say 'Go For It'! And let us know how you get on!!!!

pocket

Visit site
Thank you all for your positive replies, its so refreshing after a season of showing and defamatory remarks about your horse, when you know deep down they have the ability to achieve and have come on leaps and bounds, he's an RSPCA horse ( the bay, my little Welsh D died at Christmas and was a dressage demon
wink.gif
) and tries so hard, love him. I will get myself a day ticket and test the water.

Thanks again
grin.gif
xxxxxx

M

madabout2

Have a go! you can get a prelim id number free of charge. I'd recommend it. My horse hunted up to christmas and I've only done dressage with him this year and it has been great we have done 3 prelims and come 3rd at the area festival. Have a go. It is quite a friendly crowd too - aren't we girls (unless of course you beat us on collectives!!)