Dressage problems

Jimmy260910

Visit site
So, today I found out that I'm not allowed to compete my horse in a dressage test when he's wearing a flash nose band, in all the time I've owned this horse I've never ridden him without, and obviously I'm going to have to ride without it for the dressage test, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to handle this, should I take it straight off him? Or graduallly loosen it so that he's slowly introduced to it not being there?
I have never ridden, or seen him being ridden, without a flash noseband and so am a bit cautious on how to approach it and am just looking for some advice on what is best?

Jimmy260910

Visit site
Flash noseband is ok to wear on dressage. Who told you you can't?
The yard which I keep my horse on has a list up with guidelines of what is acceptable to wear in a dressage test and I spoke to the woman who's running the competition about the flash band and she told me I'd have to take it off for the competition as it wasn't allowed and I'd be disqualified for riding him in it.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If that's your horse in your sig then as the flash is fitted so low anyway I'd try him in a drop noseband, make sure you get it fitted correctly. Of course if you've never ridden him without a flash you could just take it off and see how he reacts.

Pigeon

Visit site
Is the show being run by the yard?

I'd just take it off and see how he is. Most go better without them tbh.

Britestar

Visit site
Maybe you advise the person running the show to check BD rules, and she'll find that it is OK. Bit worrying if it is BHS show that they don't know basic rules.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Tbf, if the show is NOT running under BD rules they can set any rules they want and I can actually see why a privately run show might put this particular one in place out of personal preference. That said, definitely clarify the situation as under 'regular' rules it would be allowed.

That said, frankly, if 'you' (not the OP, just the general rider) cannot ride a horse that's sufficiently advanced to be competing in a dressage ring safely without a flash, there is a problem. You MIGHT lose a mark or two but it should not cause an actual difficulty. In fact, as someone who fairly routinely takes off flash straps and even cavessons short term to address specific schooling issues, people might be surprised how often horses go BETTER without. . . .

mik

Visit site
May I ask why you use the flash? Or did it just come with the horse?
You may find he doesn't need it.
Under BD rules it is allowed as stated above.

Jimmy260910

Visit site
May I ask why you use the flash? Or did it just come with the horse?
You may find he doesn't need it.
Under BD rules it is allowed as stated above.
I bought the horse as a youngster (this was 3 years ago) , and as I am inexperienced myself, a trainer at the yard I keep the horse at schooled him for the first few months and recommended that it was suitable for him, and as I've said I've never ridden him without it.

Jimmy260910

Visit site
Maybe you advise the person running the show to check BD rules, and she'll find that it is OK. Bit worrying if it is BHS show that they don't know basic rules.
I'll definitely discuss it with them tomorrow when I go up to the yard, it's a BHS Unaffiliated Open Dressage Show, so that would make me assume they'll be using the BD rules?