Dressage reins

angelish

Visit site
hi hope you all had a lovely xmas :D

i currently have continental reins on my dressage bridle as i know my reins are the correct length when i'm at the 2nd notch :eek:
but now i have sorted the "far too long" reins habit out and keep a contact with shorter reins they seem to be too light and flap about
they sometimes even end up under the front of the saddle as they waft about so much

would a heavier set of reins help them lie down his shoulders better ?
what reins do you all use for dressage ?

i don't want to spend a fortune but they need to match a kieffer bridle
any suggestions or any to avoid ?

LeannePip

Visit site
i love the bio grip reins super flexy and lovely to hold - but appreciate they are more suited to jumping being rubber, however i do have a brand new black pair I'm selling

Burnttoast

Visit site
Personally I like good quality plain reins. They drape nicely, don't catch on each other like rubber can and give a better feel, plus they suit my short stubby fingers ;)

angelish

Visit site
the full rubber reins are just too bulky , i think i have some of those floppy rubber reins on my jumping bridle but there just too much bulk for dressage

i like the look of the half lined ones :) might have to splash out on those :eek:
i never thought of plain leather reins haven't used them for ages i had some brown ones for showing somewhere :eek: ill dig them out and have a bash , i think ill have a trip out to a well stocked tack shop and have a feel of them , don't want to order and not like them

conniegirl

Visit site
How about some laced or plaited reins, give more grip than plain reins with out the bulk of the rubber reins, will also be heavier and sit better than continental reins

mrswad

Visit site
I've got some plain leather reins with stops sewn onto them at 4" intervals, just like your continental reins. I think you can get them on eBay from "FSS" or something like that. Happy new year!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I also use plain leather reins. Small in the hand, and most importantly Jay has silly ginger delicate fur, and with plain reins we have glossy coat with no rein marks.

I think a lot of it is what you get used to, as a few times this summer I did not change the bridle from Dressage to SJ as it was short of time, half an hour to get back to the box, boot up, change saddles and the reins are the only difference anyway with his bridle. We then ended up doing the whole event as getting a second bridle dirty just for the sake of XC seemed silly when he felt fine jumping with the plain reins. I would have a practice with the plain reins that you have.

Nannon

Visit site
I used to always use continental until I discovered the half lined reins - they're great! I hate full rubber reins, have never got on with them as find them too bulky. My current reins I got to match my bridle for evision equine and they're fab, lovely and soft too and were cheap!