Dressage rider fitness?

MS123

Visit site
I go to the gym 3x a week and love it!! I do the "total body workouts" which are a killer. They're a mixture between intense cardio/interval training, weights, core, legs..... does what it says on the tin basically. They're an hour each time.

I've noticed a massive difference- my body is more energised, my fitness has increased, my body shape has changed. This has made riding my tricky mare easier as I'm stronger/fitter. My position is 10x better too.

I tried pilates once and found it really boring. I stick to the more intense workouts as that suits me. I'd definitley recommend getting to the gym, or doing home workouts. It really does help.

ETA- Along with this also comes a bigger appetite.....I can't stop eating!!! lol.

Last edited:

Eventer96

twitter.com
I ride at Medium level and train at Advanced Medium. I do 3/4 exercise classes a week as well as going to the gym and swimming in between. E.g. this week:

Monday- Kettlebells for 1hr and Boxercise for a further hour (Ride at some point)
Tuesday- Circuits for 1hr 15
Wednesday- Gym & Swim (Ride at some point)
Thursday- Aerobics for 1hr
Friday- Ride
Saturday- Ride
Sunday- Ride

I will try fitting in some pilates at some point as I have heard how good it is for rider fitness. Alongside the exercise classes I work at a pub with a rather big sloping garden. I do 4/5 shifts a week and I've also wondered how far I walk! My gym membership is great value for money and I love how fun the classes are as I do find the gym quite dull- so I drag the boyfriend along and make it as sociable as I can.

I will confess that I use my exercise as an excuse to have a couple of 'off' days with the healthy eating. Sometimes I cave into my cravings and have a naughty snack! I don't obsess over my weight any more, I struggled for 18 months with an eating disorder so I've had to try really hard to turn the exercise into a positive thing (making me fitter and feel better) rather than just using it as a means of controlling my weight. It used to pain me that I was putting on weight despite all of the exercise, but I've come to accept that I feel much better in myself and the extra muscle is all the weight increase is. I feel that all the extra exercise I do helps my riding and my attitude towards training. I have a more logical approach in the arena which means I have a more structured plan for what I want to achieve and how I want things to be.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Cool thanks! I'm goner aim for three swims and some yoga or two swims, a Jillian Michaels sesh & some yoga. Regarding weightless, tbf you've probably put on muscle which might account for not losing loads.

Jillian Michaels is great I think, 6 week 6 pack is also good. I just find she recommends doing it 5 or 6 x a week which I struggle with.

I might do that after the 30 day shred! I do find it quite hard to fit in too, I get home at about 9/9.30 from the yard, but at least it isn't so hard to fit in 25 mins as 40!

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
It's true what they say about if you make yourself get up and do it you learn to love it, though. I genuinely do feel energised for my day if I run or swim first thing, plus it boosts your metabolism, which is much needed if you have a desk job like mine.

There you go Chirmapops - I got up an hour earlier this morning and felt better for it. Didn't actually get much done due to the rain, but it was lovely to not rush. I have a daylight alarm which I use in the winter, but hadn't used it during summer hours, but the sun comes up on the other side of the house to my bedroom, so it's quite dark in the mornings even in summer. Makes such a difference!

Chirmapops

Visit site
There you go Chirmapops - I got up an hour earlier this morning and felt better for it. Didn't actually get much done due to the rain, but it was lovely to not rush. I have a daylight alarm which I use in the winter, but hadn't used it during summer hours, but the sun comes up on the other side of the house to my bedroom, so it's quite dark in the mornings even in summer. Makes such a difference!

Yay, another convert!

Twiglet

Visit site
OP, if you've never done any pilates before, I'd recommend trying to get to a class or lesson at least initially. Pilates is a bit like riding in that it's all about the little adjustments to get the results, and unless you have someone there while you pick up the basics, it can be hard to know if you're doing it right. I do rate some of the apps and videos but they are no substitute for a teacher on hand showing you exactly what it is you should be doing. My teacher is an absolute sadist (in a lovely way!) and knows exactly when he can push me harder. It is a fantastic way to get to know your body and its strengths and to improve your awareness.

I'm on the other side of the coin - my 'general' fitness is pretty decent....I average the gym four to five times a week, spinning, weights, pilates, swim 1.5km - 2km a session....but my riding fitness isn't great after nearly 6 months of no riding. There is literally no substitute for being on a horse! So I now have to up my riding frequency and try and get as many hours doing decent work in the saddle as I can.

Chirmapops

Visit site
Lol I count girl weights as the little 1/2/3kg dumbells I see some people use at the gym (although depends what you are doing with them, high reps are fine but some people do low reps with tiny weights).

I need to get to the gym more regularly as I haven't been so good recently but I usually do super sets of 4 different excercises. Weights usually between 12-24kg depending on the excercise (don't use machines so just free weights which tend to be lower weights than weight machines) Haven't attempted heavier as it would involve venturing into the 'men's area' which scares me haha!

Oh and 20kg definitely isn't girl weights!

Haha, I'm a bit scared of free weights (and the men's area) though, so they're on machines which I think is easier anyway. 15-25 sounds about right, higher for the leg machines (unsurprisingly for a horse rider), I'm rubbish at the one that's meant to tone up your bingo wings though :-(

Loving all the tips on here - we're an amazingly dedicated bunch!

slumdog

Visit site
It's true what they say about if you make yourself get up and do it you learn to love it, though. I genuinely do feel energised for my day if I run or swim first thing, plus it boosts your metabolism, which is much needed if you have a desk job like mine.

Apparently Nicola from Girls Aloud does 100 squats while brushing her teeth, so you could always start multitasking!

Love this thread in feeling very motivated! I will be one of those people that look good in a cutaway jacket lol!

I also got up an hour earlier and did 1/2 hour of basic Pilates :) actually felt much more awake going in to work!

I'm going to go to a class next week, I get your point about doing it properly. I only follow a few basic stretches so nothing to extensive but it's probably a good idea even if I just do a few weeks with an instructor. :)

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
Do we need an exercise motivation thread? Daily check ins?
I'm running at the moment - pony and I are qualified for the Quilty (160km ride) in 9 weeks time and I want to run at least some of it alongside him. So I am running three times a week: 1 high speed interval session, 1 tmepo run and one longer run at weekends. Up to about 6km (3 1/2 milesish) so far on the long runs. Also trying to fit in a weights session once a week. Pony is being ridden 3 times a week and we have an 80km (50 mile) ride next weekend.

holzrokz

Visit site
Do we need an exercise motivation thread? Daily check ins?
I'm running at the moment - pony and I are qualified for the Quilty (160km ride) in 9 weeks time and I want to run at least some of it alongside him. So I am running three times a week: 1 high speed interval session, 1 tmepo run and one longer run at weekends. Up to about 6km (3 1/2 milesish) so far on the long runs. Also trying to fit in a weights session once a week. Pony is being ridden 3 times a week and we have an 80km (50 mile) ride next weekend.

I think we should have a motivation thread. I have a friend who was running one on Facebook and it was really useful, as people shared tips and their exercise routines. Good for a kick up the backside when feeling lazy! Some of you lot are machines I swear!

Cragrat

Visit site
Wow - you lot are very inspirational!
I am trying hard to make sure I go to the gym 3 times a week, but now I will try to find a Pilates class as well.

What do you think of trampolining? We have a decent size trampoline the kids don't use anymore- I've heard it can be reasonable exercise, but is it any good for horse riders?

I refuse to run - terrified of getting dodgy knees. They're fine at the the moment, just want to keep them that way!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have a friend who does a lot of trampolining quite seriously but doesn't seem to have much core strength on a horse. If it's fun and do-able though, anything would be better than nothing I'd think?

Cragrat

Visit site
:( I was hoping it would help with my core, and save me finding a Pilates class. Oh well, as you say, something is better than nothing! It's there and it's free, might as well use it:)

lme

Visit site
I am old, creaky (resurfaced hip) and have a job / commute that requires me to sit for 10 to 12 hours a day but have noticed a massive improvement in my riding fitness from cutting out some of the utter crap that I was eating and spending half an hour a day doing a mixture of Pilates and functional training with weights. I do a lot of stuff that is designed to put me slightly off balance, in order to engage my core (e.g. 20 reps of maybe 3 or 4 different exercises with relatively low weights, all done standing on one leg). It looks a bit weird but it works.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I thought I'd revive this thread and see how everyone's doing, since it is such a good topic :)

I'm still doing my pilates on a Monday night, and have seen a definite improvement in my strength as some exercises are noticeably easier and we're doing more advanced exercises.

Recently I've felt like I needed to do 'more', especially as I'm not riding as much over winter. I was considering running but I'm a bit hypermobile so my ankles and knees punish me if I try running, I wonder if a decent pair of trainers would help, but I've always been like it. Also we're a bit out of town, and there's no-where to run other than the Flitch which is a disused railway track, brilliant in the summer hours, but pitch black and creepy in winter!

So, OH and I signed up for a swimming membership, first session is tonight, I can't wait as I love swimming, just haven't done it in years! I think for all over fitness, strength and toning it's a good allrounder.

So, how everyone else doing?