Dressage Rider Training (online training)

SpottyMare

Visit site
This keeps popping up on my facebook feed - it appears to be a 12 week programme (for which you pay a subscription) for workouts specific to riding. Has anyone tried it, and if so would you recommend?

oldie48

Visit site
Yes, dislocated my knee cap on the second day doing what I thought was a fairly easy exercise and couldn't ride for 6 weeks! I've been able to pause the programme but have seen that there have been a fair few injuries. Proceed with caution.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
It’s fantastic. It’s not easy but you work to your own level. Highly recommend. My hubby is a full time coach and rides a lot of horses every week as well as being a squad swimmer swimming 3 times a week and even he got great gains from it.

SpottyMare

Visit site
Thank you both :)

@oldie48 - ouch! I hope your knee completely heals and you're pain free soon
@Bonnie - good to know that someone who's already fit gets something from it. Does make it sound like it might be a bit much for me though..

2ndtimearound

Visit site
I’ve not tried the videos, but there are some descriptions (with photos) of some exercises on the website that I’ve incorporated into my own routine and that you can access for free (I do the ones for hip mobility and sciatica). Might be worth trying those before subscribing? This is the hip mobility one: https://dressageridertraining.com/blog/improve-hip-mobility-6-stretches/ I think I found it when someone on here posted the link a while ago.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I didn’t subscribe to the programme so haven’t paid any money, but I signed up for the free weekly newsletter which includes videos of exercises for stretching, balance and core strength which I’ve incorporated into my exercise routine. Found them very helpful.

oldie48

Visit site
Thank you both :)

@oldie48 - ouch! I hope your knee completely heals and you're pain free soon
@Bonnie - good to know that someone who's already fit gets something from it. Does make it sound like it might be a bit much for me though..
Thanks, now recovered although very aware how easy it would be to re-injure it. I do an equipilates class and the trainer adapts the exercises to cope with injuries/weaknesses. Some of the DRT exercises are quite demanding, need to be approached carefully and adapted if you have an injury or indeed a particular body type. I thought I knew my body quite well so was really surprised that a very easy exercise dislocated my knee cap until I discussed what had happened with the physio who treated me. I have to admit that it's made me quite hesitant to restart the programme.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Thanks, now recovered although very aware how easy it would be to re-injure it. I do an equipilates class and the trainer adapts the exercises to cope with injuries/weaknesses. Some of the DRT exercises are quite demanding, need to be approached carefully and adapted if you have an injury or indeed a particular body type. I thought I knew my body quite well so was really surprised that a very easy exercise dislocated my knee cap until I discussed what had happened with the physio who treated me. I have to admit that it's made me quite hesitant to restart the programme.
Was the exercise the one where you kneel on one leg with the other flat out behind and raise both arms? Once was enough for me I found it way too painful on my knee caps.

oldie48

Visit site
Was the exercise the one where you kneel on one leg with the other flat out behind and raise both arms? Once was enough for me I found it way too painful on my knee caps.
No but I know the one you mean and am fine with that. It was the one where you kneel and then clench your bum cheek on one side and then the other side. I clearly have quite strong glutes as it put sufficient force through the thigh to dislocate the knee cap. TBH when I heard the noise it made, I felt quite sick! You don't need to kneel to that exercise, it can be done sitting down or standing up. Physio was a bit iffy about the sumo squat as a starter type exercise, some people will find it fairly easy but it can be quite aggressive depending on your body type and level of fitness. I have been pretty active all my life and done some fairly heavy weight classes in the past but it's the first time I've injured myself doing a simple exercise!