Dressage Rider Training

Alibear

Visit site
The activate your seat one is very sneaky, its looks stupidly simple and easy but then on the 2nd set of reps I knew about it. I'm so knackered that I have to do some pre-work first for a month now :D I liked that it was a one off payment and usable forever after.

oldie48

Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and I have done the core session 1 and the homework tasks.
The free PDF was pretty poor - it actually had the wrong written description for the stretch which is why I could not follow it - but the video was quite easy to follow but did hurt my back a bit. But then everything hurts my back sadly. It seems chicken and egg - Back hurts as it is weak but I can't work it tto strengthen it because it hurts so I think I need to just keep trying. I could not follow the foam rolling though. I cannot work it out for the life of me!

I might repeat each set of exercises before moving on. How do you download? I'd rather do this slowly in my own time.
I also cannot work out how to do the foam roller so I muddle my way through it in my own way and yes, I do feel it's doing some good. Not sure which exercise hurt your back but it is very easy to do that if you don't have a neutral spine and start using your back instead of your core muscles, it does help if you stop your ribs from popping up and sink them down into your waist (if that makes sense). I've done pilates for 10 years but it's only recently that a trainer picked up on my naughty rib cage! I am doing each set of exercises at least twice and may start doing them three times, I find if I do it a second time I feel more confident in the exercise and work harder. what I don't like is there is no suggested warm up so I do my own. Good luck with it and keep posting and I'll do the same.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well I tried the yoga session today. That was much harder than the core work one. So I need to repeat that a few times I think. I like the idea of doing each week twice. Or maybe taking 10 days to do each 'week' to practice harder exercises a few times before moving on. X

oldie48

Visit site
Went to my pilates class today, trainer is a physio and we were using the foam roller so asked her about using it to massage thigh etc. TBH she was a bit skeptical and said current thought is that it doesn't do much good, suggested I might try a spikey ball as its a lot less aggressive and easier to use and if I found it helped, well that was great. Clearly thought it was not worth the pain! She had some great stretches though using the roller which I thought were better than the couch stretch but I'm not sure I could describe them!

Trouper

Visit site
OOh people - please be careful. You can do so much damage doing exercises unsupervised - especially if you already have back issues. I won't rehearse my spinal history but I am always surprised at how my pilates instructor (who rides) insists I take it gently. The skill is in getting the movement right - not how much energy you put into it. I tend to be a bit gung-ho in trying to get fit but am slowly learning that less is more in this game.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
I like the drt programme. When I first signed up I emailed and asked them to send all the videos to my OneDrive account. Which they did, so now I’ve got them forever and can work at own pace, repeating as needed.

oldie48

Visit site
I like the drt programme. When I first signed up I emailed and asked them to send all the videos to my OneDrive account. Which they did, so now I’ve got them forever and can work at own pace, repeating as needed.
That's useful to know although they now sell them on a USB. When did you join up. I'm taking it very slowly ie I am still to do third exercise of week 1 and I have just been sent week 3. so I am going to be miles behind. I'm also ingoring anything that I know is not going to be good for me and my injuries and substituting another one that I know is safe for me.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
I joined about 3 years ago!! I’m a serial fall-off-the-wagon-then -restart type of gal! I’ve seen that they sell the usb now - they didn’t when I first joined. Still worth asking though? Or I think it’s possible to download and save each video - but I wouldn’t know how, sorry!

oldie48

Visit site
Well did the 2nd week core exercise and found it pretty OK as I'm familiar with the exercises from pilates, did the yoga one tonight (or tried to) and it was QUITE hard. I used to do a similar class several years ago and found it difficult then but now I am older, stiffer and less strong, I struggled. However, did what I could whilst not risking injury on the basis that anything is better than nothing. Walking out from down dog into a plank then into a baby cobra! In your dreams! I lack the upper body strength to do this properly!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Aaaaand I'm back. Via a broken ankle detour. Now completed weeks 2 & 3 - done each workout at least twice. I am definitely feeling stronger and more stable in the yoga postures. How did you get on @oldie48

oldie48

Visit site
Still taking it very slowly and repeating or avoiding exercises that I know aren't suitable for me. TBH I was doing an equipilates class, which was excellent but due to CV10 that has stopped but she's doing stuff online which I've signed up for and prefer it to DRT as it's much safer for me. I am however much fitter and stronger than I was at the end of the summer, although not riding ATM. My main criticism of DRT is that it goes too quickly for an older person but you are just are spring chicken! So pleased you are back riding and are OK!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Anyone still doing this? I've finally finished. It was ok but i noticed that she repeatedly spends far longer on the first side than the 2nd side for lots of the poses in the yoga sessions. I thought I was imagining it at first so I actually timed it and the difference was really significant. That annoyed me! So now I just do my own thing and don't follow any of her routines. But learning the poses and the core exercises was useful. I hope my balance is better on the horse too but it's hard to tell really.

M&M&G

Visit site
I'm still doing it and find it so beneficial when I stick with it BUT I lack the discipline to keep going so have restarted Xx number of times in the 18 months and never got beyond week 6! Your post has motivated to kick myself up the proverbial - impressed you have finished although it sounds like you have found less of a benefit?

AUB

Visit site
I’ve just joined Dressurfit. My second language is German, but they’ve also translated it so it can be done in English.
You start with a test to find out your strengths and weaknesses as a rider and then you get customised homework every week on top of the program. So far I like it.

oldie48

Visit site
I gave up on it but am back doing pilates with my equipilates physio. TBH I am much happier as she knows about my injuries etc and will give me an alternative exercise if she thinks I shouldn't try something. My knees are not good these days, especially the left one, I dislocated the knee cap in the first week of DRT doing a kneeling exercise and annoyingly, I do have to be very careful now. Glad you've finished though AE and found it useful.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just a final update. I moved onto DRT2 despite the fact that the improvements to my ability to do thr programme didnt seem to be making any difference on the horse. I did every session in DRT1 at least 3 times so I thimk it's fair to say I gave it a good go!

It was lockdown, exercise is good to do generally and I quite like the yoga. So I enjoyed doing it. But to answer my own question above: does it give you better balance, more stability, an independent seat on the horse, my own experience is no. I cant see any way in which what I did in DRT made any difference on the horse. I just got stronger and better at yoga!

She often talked about how what we were doing translated to riding but when I was on the horse and tried to link the 2, they were either unconnected or her exercises were unhelpful. Eg gripping a foam roller with max effort between your thighs to stabilise you in the saddle just made me grip. And clenching your bottom throughout many of the yoga poses made me tense and stiff through my back.

Trying equpilates now. So we will see if that's any more effective.

Trouper

Visit site
Really interesting update AE - thanks. I've come to the conclusion that it is a bit of a minefield trying to find an exercise system that both suits and produces results!!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
It may have helped in subtle ways. More flexible through the hips or something. But not enough for me to carry on with it. Waaay too much time, effort and cost to not see a clear improvement.

Bernster

Visit site
Well done on sticking with it. As you say it’s good to stay active (this from a lazy non exercise person!). Thx for coming back to update.

Squeak

Visit site
That's really interesting that you didn't find a difference. I'd agree that exercises like gripping the foam roller does sound like it would just be counterproductive.

Have you had a look at Ridercise? I've been doing it for a few years and do find it makes a significant difference to my riding. When I'm good and do the exercises my lower leg is noticeably more stable and my position and security when jumping my very exuberant youngster are also hugely improved. I'm also a lot more toned!!

I used to ride 10 horses a day and noticed the difference when I went down to the one/ two. Ridercise helps me to close that gap. Sometimes her prices are just too expensive imo but they seem to be back to a more reasonable price at the moment.