Dressage riders-Who do you train with?

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
About to start training with my friend Lee McKendry. Have spent a lot of time watching her ride and grooming at shows for her and Have learned a lot from just watching, so time to put that together with lessons.

I've only just converted to liking dressage after being a jump rider! Hopefully she can help make me better lol.

Stoxx

Visit site
John Bowen.

He explains everything so it is easy to understand. He doesn't talk too much which means I find it easy to remember my homework. He doesn't cut corners or gloss over things.

kerilli

Visit site
not sure I count as a 'dressage rider' any more since I don't do BD now, but have trained exclusively on the flat for donkey's years now with Herr Eberhard Weiss - because he is hugely experienced, patient, kind, exacting, humorous, respects the horse, has a clear system, knows his stuff, and is always happy to explain how and why to do a certain thing (which is the kind of trainer I need)... I could go on and on. Nobody else measures up. I'd love to find someone as good who is local, for 1/2 the price, but I doubt it's possible!

posie_honey

Visit site
i had an amazing lesson with Sylvia Loch (will be in Your Horse next year :D) and i'm planning on saving some money up ot go for a couple of days intensive lessons with her in the spring.
one lesson completely changed my way of riding and has bought us on leaps and bounds :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
i had an amazing lesson with Sylvia Loch (will be in Your Horse next year :D) and i'm planning on saving some money up ot go for a couple of days intensive lessons with her in the spring.
one lesson completely changed my way of riding and has bought us on leaps and bounds :)
ooh didn't know she did residential stuff! I quite fancy that!

KatB

Visit site
Another for John Bowen. Would love to have more, but he works very much to a system which has made a massive difference in my mares way of going. Was a huge lightbulb moment having a lesson with him.

miss_c

Visit site
Matt Jenkins (H&H Dressage blogger)
He has a clear idea of what we need, and what to do to get there. I also think myself very fortunate to say he is one of my best friends. :) The improvement in Genie and myself has been HUGE since we started training with him, and he did an amazing job backing Titchy.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Dont do lots of competing for one reason or another, but I have regular lessons with Liam Fisher. Not only is he a nice bloke, I have learned lots from him and feel my riding has come along in leaps and bounds and my horse seems to love him. Always works well when Liam is there. Roll on next Weds!

Tash88

Visit site
I used to have lessons with Carol Stothard, but these aren't so frequent now because she's moved away from the area; my horse and I miss her!

Now I have a lesson with Tom Graham about every six weeks; a girl at the yard has known him for a few years and she organises regular clinics. I've been impressed so far; the 'homework' that he gives me always makes sense and his way of teaching is really accessible as well so I never feel like I am 'on my own' when I school between lessons. He also really likes my horse which is always an advantage!

TopTotty

Visit site
I've had two lessons with Stephen Clarke. Very very good, explains things really well, tells it so you can understand it, keeps it simple and has helped with everything I have asked each lesson :)

flo25

Visit site
I've trained with Alison Clarke, Steph Cooper, Andrew Fletcher and now train with Laura Jarvis - All midlands based

:)

I used to go to BYRDS with Laura! She's fab worked very hard for everything she has! talented person.Hope she is well havent seen her in ages!

daisycrazy

Visit site
I trained (and still do, in theory, but I live a long way away now so it's once in a blue moon) with Christopher Bartle. I went to him in the first place because he had trained a TB to grand prix and I had a TB who was super talented but very tense and never quite went on the bit. A friend also gave me his book, which made a lot of sense. So I bit the bullet and went up for several days of quite transformative training. Not only is he a really nice guy who gets his point across without making you feel rubbish, he is extremely effective and has a very thoroughly thought out system which has worked on every horse I've tried it on so far (TBs and warmbloods). Although I am/was an "eventer", I actually love training horses to as high a level as possible in dressage and Chris' system works as effectively from backing right the way to grand prix movements.

Jane Bartle attracts a similarly devoted following, although their styles appear quite different. Jane attracts more pure dressage riders and I've certainly seen horses going fantastically in her lessons.

The YRC is enough to make me want to relocate to Yorkshire... my OH finds the idea less appealing!

tryinghard

Visit site
Beans2000 - whereabouts in Oxon?

Douglas Hibbert and Damien Hallam are based near Watlington, and Sarah Hawkins at Great Hasely - all very good. Ed Creamer is just outside Wantage, and Lindsay Jenkins is near Hungerford (not Oxon but she is worth the travel!)