dressage saddle advice needed

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I am after some advice on saddles

I'm having a major problem with my horse and every saddle fitter that try to solve the problem. Current saddle is a Kent and masters and I love riding in it but horse doesn't seem to like it any more if we make it narrower so the balance is right then it's too tight over his shoulders which incidently are quite large and he doesn't want to move forward make it wider he is comfortable and wants to move forward to begin with but over time it makes him sore in shoulders and over wither area and has caused a lot of muscle damage which is slowly recovering with bare back work and long reining ect

I don't want to go down the prolite route as I already have a gel pad under and I don't really think just rising the front will help.

Come to the conclusion that I need a new one but don't have a huge budget and I've lost faith in all saddlers as none seem to be able to help us.

Basically just asking for advice on saddles and saddlers and others experience of he same problem xx

Thanks I advance

Fun Times

Visit site
Have a look at the fairfax dressage saddles. They have an unusual design which I think may help cater for horses with wider shoulders. They are also on an an adjustable tree, so you could fiddle about with that. I used to have a K&M too and it was o.k but this is a far superior saddle in my view. It also has a fairly wide channel for the spine, without the whole saddle feeling bulky for the rider. In my experience, sometimes the "close contact" narrow twist feel is achieved by having a narrow channel and very little flocking, neither of which are particularly beneficial for the horse. This is not the case with the fairfax. Not sure if it would help with your issues but would be worth a look I think.

Eta: I assume you have had a physio or similar bodyworker take a look at him.

Last edited:

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
Yes currently working with vet and physio we are now looking at reintroducing saddle but everything blocks him too much and I've just lost faith in all saddlers as none seem to understand the problem

old hand

Visit site
keiffer saddles are very good for high wide withers, but are like marmite you either like them or hate them. Quite good if you are tall. The newer ones are adjustable by a saddler.

eggs

Visit site
I have an x-wide war blood with massive shoulders but not much either. The saddle he is happiest in is a Barrie Swain semiflex.

Kat

Visit site
You could try a treeless. I have a solution dressage saddle and because they are rigid free they won't block his shoulder. They are expensive new but you can pick up second hand ones if you look carefully. They can come out to fit them and you can have a trial with the saddle too so you can check you like it over a longer period than a fitting

Freddy!

Visit site
Have a look at the Prestige D1, they are absolutely fantastic for horses with big shoulders or a big shoulder movement. I've got one and the improvement has been amazing.
The trees can be altered so allows for your horse to change shape. I'd recommend one with wool flocking (instead of the foam panels) as that gives you even more flexibility as your horse starts to fill out and put on some topline.

Jo1980

Visit site
I have a D1 too for the same reason and I love it! Most importantly, my horse loves it!
It is cut away slightly at the front to allow for more freedom. My horse used to become very agitated when I asked for certain things, especially lateral movements but since having the D1 she's really obliging and moves freely in whichever direction I ask! Her medium trot was transformed almost immediately too!
She's filled out a lot and my physio has been really impressed.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I personally find that getting a flat enough tree to get a stable fit is generally the best way to go, if the saddle will stay back and fits well where the stirrup bars are (ie is flat enough in the rails) then the shoulders are free, no need to go to saddles specifically for big shoulders (and I fit a LOT Of big shouldered horses and ponies).

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
I have a D1 too for the same reason and I love it! Most importantly, my horse loves it!
It is cut away slightly at the front to allow for more freedom. My horse used to become very agitated when I asked for certain things, especially lateral movements but since having the D1 she's really obliging and moves freely in whichever direction I ask! Her medium trot was transformed almost immediately too!
She's filled out a lot and my physio has been really impressed.

Yea ive looked at the D1 but dont think there would be a way to afford one :(