Dressage saddle advicr

welshstar

Visit site
Hello
Boredom with no competing means I've got money burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking at getting a new or second hand saddle.

Just looking for a bit of advice.
I previously had an older Albion slk - http://www.patrickwilkinson.co.uk/s...2&saddle_type=&sort_order=pw_id&direction=ASC -
But found it a bit restrictive and blocking. I felt too far away from my horse and a bit ineffective.
I've been schooling in my fairfax andrew hoy which had the freedom panels that we love!

I am fairly long in the leg, with a long knee to hip and a riders bottom! My horse is a 15.2 connie who requires persuasion that dressage is something worth trying for so need something where I am able to get my legs round him.

Has anyone tried to fairfax dressage saddles with the freedom panels or can recommend any other saddles worth looking at?

Thank you in advance

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The starting point always has to be what will fit your horse, and Connies aren't always easy to fit, though some over height ones can be easier as they usually have withers. What I WOULD say is be very wary of saddles with narrow twists, which includes many French type saddles, as the rails just aren't the right shape. And your long leg being an issue will depend on what seat size your Connie can take, if he can take a decent seat size for you then you'll have more choice. I would have a chat with your own fitter, see what they suggest and go from there. There will be other options that your fitter doesn't stock but suggesting saddles that work for long legs only addresses one of the parameters and is unlikely to help you much.

Sail_away

Visit site
I have the fairfax Gareth monoflap - had it for under a year but bought it when it was six months old. I love it, the horse loves it too - although he’s different shape to yours, he has a pretty typical sport horse back. He has big shoulders on a deep chest and it is very secure on him.
I feel very close to the horse in it; it does keep you in a very secure seat, it allows your lower leg to move as needed but it keeps your bum in one place. It’s very comfortable, I use it out hacking for 2/3 hours.
I have very long legs too and it has suited me nicely, although my one is a 17.5”. If your saddler thinks it’s a good fit then I would recommend it.

welshstar

Visit site
Thank you:) would be looking at a 17.5, got 17.5 wide fairfax jump on him. We tried lots of different saddles for the jump and the fairfax gave us the best feel.

Interesting about the french type saddles, suppose that is the voltaire, devouceux ones? I think the fairfax is quite wide twist which I know a lot of people dont like.

DressageCob

Visit site
My cobs wear the Equipe Emporio. One of them is 15.2hh and the other 14.2hh. I'm 5'6 but with long legs (short torso). I think they are excellent saddles. They seem to fit a variety of horses too - my friends' warmbloods are in them as well.

Littlebear

Visit site
For the type and what you are after i would also suggest an equipe. If you want a cheaper option an Ideal may be an option also?