Dressage saddle for a TB

SillyMare

Visit site
I am looking for a second hand dressage saddle to fit my ex-racer.

The problem is the shape of his back (perhaps due to formative years with a racing saddle). He is narrow at the top of his back (either side of his withers) where the muscle development is poor. As you go down he becomes wider.

The saddles I have tried seem to either fit by his withers and pinch lower down towards the points of the tree. Alternatively they fit at the points but sit too low on his withers and tip forwards.

Any suggestions for a make that I should look out for to fit this shape? He can't be unique!!

So far I have tried Albion and Amerigo without any success.

ihatework

Visit site
begger, I was going to suggest albion but you already have tried that! Just checking you tried one with a TB tree ...

sallyellis

Visit site
Hiya I had a similar problem with my boy and the one that fitted him best was a thorogood synthetic dressage saddle in equisuede.........might be worth a go?

joy

Visit site
Try County if they still exist. I have a TB youngster and I am going to have trouble too. Big withers, big shoulders, big ribcage, big trouble

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Keiffer are good for high withers, and some have dropped pannels. I also found the Ideal jessica was OK. I'd be tempted to go for a wider fit which is good everywhere else, and fill the hollows with an adjustable prolite pad...... he might even bulk out underneath it.
I've got a wow now which is a fab fit
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine was hell to fit as well (see my post) - his Kings GP had to have thorougbred panels which fill in the gaps either side of the wither. However I tried a Wintec 500 dressage with Cair on him and somehow it fitted! He absolutely loves it and it doesn't fall down on his wither at all, which had been a problem in the past as he has very active shoulders.

happihorse

Visit site
Would you be able to get a saddler out and try loads of different types? Surely, something must fit. What about the ones with air flocked panels? Alternativily, could you get one made to measure?

SillyMare

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I am on a limited budget - made to measure is not an option!

It was an Albion TB saddle that I tried. Will look out for an Ideal Jessica. Cair pannels are a good idea too.

Next plan is to take him over to a saddler to get him fitted - range of choice is always limited 2nd hand though isn't it.

coedcae

Visit site
I used to use a Bates Caprilli dressage saddle on my high withered TB. I dont use it anymore, as I have a new horse, and would sell it if you are interested. It has the Wintec gullet changing system, with Cair. Its black and 17.5", nice saddle and in good condition

patchandloopy

Visit site
my horse has high withers and was branded a rearer until a previous owner till she realised it was the saddle casuing his behaviour, so im very careful what i put on his back! I have just got a Ideal Jessica ( and had it fitted) and so far hes been going brilliantly in it! Plus its soo comfy you want to stay on all day!