Dressage saddles, suggestions of what to try.

oldie48

Visit site
I am intending to buy a new dressage saddle after Christmas, my saddler sells Albion (they are quite heavy), Fairfax (I'm not heard good things about the newer ones) Ideal (currenty got the Susannah but would like an adjustable) Prestige, Kent and Masters and Kieffer. I've no experience of the last three. My pelvis is quite tight, particularly on the left and is slightly forward rotated. I therefore, have a tendency towards a chair seat so I need enough of a block to help me with this but not one which pins me in an uncomfortable position. there are so many saddles out there and I know it depends as much on what fits the horse as suits me but I wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions. I'd like to stay with my current saddler but it is more important that I find a saddle that suits me, I've just had a couple of tough lessons and I have taken the skin off the inside of my knee on the left, this saddle didn't do this with my previous horse but obviously sits differently on Rose who is a different shape. The saddle does fit Rose and was fitted last week.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Get an equips from somewhere - amazingly narrow twist even on my heavyweight cob... can’t rate it enough and it’s light as a feather... I also have a PDS - which I prefer (slightly softer seat) but it’s not as narrow through the twist ... and slightly heavier than the featherlight equipe ... I use t bar stirrup leathers on all my close contact saddles otherwise I end up with bruises on my inner thighs

Mule

Visit site
I am intending to buy a new dressage saddle after Christmas, my saddler sells Albion (they are quite heavy), Fairfax (I'm not heard good things about the newer ones) Ideal (currenty got the Susannah but would like an adjustable) Prestige, Kent and Masters and Kieffer. I've no experience of the last three. My pelvis is quite tight, particularly on the left and is slightly forward rotated. I therefore, have a tendency towards a chair seat so I need enough of a block to help me with this but not one which pins me in an uncomfortable position. there are so many saddles out there and I know it depends as much on what fits the horse as suits me but I wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions. I'd like to stay with my current saddler but it is more important that I find a saddle that suits me, I've just had a couple of tough lessons and I have taken the skin off the inside of my knee on the left, this saddle didn't do this with my previous horse but obviously sits differently on Rose who is a different shape. The saddle does fit Rose and was fitted last week.
I have a Kieffer GP. I'm not familiar with the dressage models but the leather is good quality. The tree is adjustable as well. It also has decent sized blocks but not huge.

Auslander

Visit site
I've got lower back/pelvic/hip issues, and really struggle with a lot of saddles. Current one is an Albion Revelation, which has been just that, a revelation. I've had no back pain whilst riding, and don't walk like a duck after an hours hack any more. The block is perfect for me, but they are a matter of personal preference! I find most blocks too far forward, so they don't really help me out!

1544556364861.png

oldie48

Visit site
I've got lower back/pelvic/hip issues, and really struggle with a lot of saddles. Current one is an Albion Revelation, which has been just that, a revelation. I've had no back pain whilst riding, and don't walk like a duck after an hours hack any more. The block is perfect for me, but they are a matter of personal preference! I find most blocks too far forward, so they don't really help me out!

View attachment 28056
Do you find it heavy, I am not getting any stronger and even with Rose only being 15.3 it's a noticeable lift and I am hoping to carry on into my late 70s!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Welcome to try my equipe on the weekend if you like. I love it, for me I find the twist too wide on ideals/albions etc.

Auslander

Visit site
Do you find it heavy, I am not getting any stronger and even with Rose only being 15.3 it's a noticeable lift and I am hoping to carry on into my late 70s!!
Not super lightweight, but not particularly heavy, definitely not as heavy as my previous Albion (Platinum Ultima), Alf is a big guy, and I can hoick it onto him one handed!

oldie48

Visit site
Welcome to try my equipe on the weekend if you like. I love it, for me I find the twist too wide on ideals/albions etc.
Hi that would be really helpful. I had this knee problem with my previous horse ridden in a Wide ideal Tonisha, haven't had it with Bisto who was med then med/wide but Rose is just a bit wider than Bisto. Also I'm not sure this saddle sits me completely straight. Anyway i have made a right mess of my knee!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
For my comfort I love an equipe (big horse never felt so narrow, though he wasn't completely happy in it himself sadly), and when Arts has grown up a bit that is first on my list to try (fingers crossed this horse has the same taste as me ;)). But I have also tried the Albion revelation and that's damn comfortable too. My hips are my real weak link which makes my knees very prone to drifting off towards the horse's shoulders when in a saddle that doesn't suit :oops:

McFluff

Visit site
If your saddler is able to ideal do M2M. I got a dressage saddle based on a Jessica but mono flap and with smaller blocks and a flatter seat. That was the narrowest twist I could get for my xxxw mare! I had a Susannah before and got rubbed on my knee, and when it got widened to keep up with my horse as she developed it didn’t fit me anymore (back into chair seat territory).
I tried K&M - I found the twist very wide and they put me in a chair seat. Didn’t suit horse either.
Sadly Albion would go nowhere near my horses shape, Neither would Bliss, which I was rather gutted by!, or Keiffer. Horse is exceptionally wide apparently....
Good luck in your search...

oldie48

Visit site
If your saddler is able to ideal do M2M. I got a dressage saddle based on a Jessica but mono flap and with smaller blocks and a flatter seat. That was the narrowest twist I could get for my xxxw mare! I had a Susannah before and got rubbed on my knee, and when it got widened to keep up with my horse as she developed it didn’t fit me anymore (back into chair seat territory).
I tried K&M - I found the twist very wide and they put me in a chair seat. Didn’t suit horse either.
Sadly Albion would go nowhere near my horses shape, Neither would Bliss, which I was rather gutted by!, or Keiffer. Horse is exceptionally wide apparently....
Good luck in your search...
Thank you that is very helpful.also to know I'm not the only one to have a rubbed knee I thought I was unique!!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Also love my Equipe, had mine a few years now and still love it for how light it is and the support it gives me.

Just bought baby Skylla a Utopia saddle as the Equipe's are not adjustable and so far I think I prefer the Utopia :eek:, but then it was made bespoke for both of us ;).

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't set your heart on a particular makes/model of saddle because you may well be disappointed as some saddles may well not suit your horse. It's best to find a quality saddle fitter who will bring a range of saddles that will fit your horses shape, try them on & then make your decision in consultation with the fitter.

oldie48

Visit site
Don't set your heart on a particular makes/model of saddle because you may well be disappointed as some saddles may well not suit your horse. It's best to find a quality saddle fitter who will bring a range of saddles that will fit your horses shape, try them on & then make your decision in consultation with the fitter.
thanks, not setting my heart on a particular make just gathering info as there is so much choice and I have certain requirements. fortunately my horse is quite straightforward. I'd like to buy from my trusted master saddler of 20 years but he may not have something that suits me. Thanks for your reply.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I have problems with my lower back and pelvis, I can only ride in narrow twist saddles. I'm very petite but tall too so need a well placed large block, deep and small seat.

Personally, I prefer monoflap and modern designs so they are nice and light. Albions and Kieffer are heavy and old fashioned imho. WOW you couldn't pay me to have.

I have a X Prestige Helen K on Fig and an Erreplus Vittoria on Nova. Totally love them both. The saddles are perfect for each horse but the Prestige puts me in a horrible position on Nova (and doesn't suit him) but is amazing on Fig.

The Erreplus model I thought I wanted, was actually horrendous on the horse. I found I loved the model on the horse that I hated off the horse!

I've ridden in a Bates and an Equipe previously. I would not buy an Equipe again. At 7st7lbs I shouldn't have broken the tree three times... Don't trust them!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Please be wary of narrow twists on wider horses, there are only two ways to do it, to have rails that are too upright for the horse, and I see this a lot with continental brands fitted on wider backs (the tree angle at the front is fine, but the pommels are usually very A shaped, and the rails cause pressure issues) or to build up the twist to lift you away from the horse. There is a piece of research looking into twist width, sadly it's not online from what I can see but a summary was posted on the wall at the Saddle Research Trust Conference at the weekend. The conclusion as that more pressure was measured under the middle of saddles with a narrow twist, and the incidence of hypertrophy (muscle loss) was greater too.

I think as you have a good saddle fitter you need to go on their recommendations, and if you possibly can have a standard saddle from stock that you can ride in on a trial, then you will know whether it will cause you discomfort.

Casey76

Visit site
I have a Prestige Venus K, and the seat,a en feel is supremely comfortable. Unfortunately I bought off the shelf, not taking into account that most dressage riders seem to have things 6ins longer than mine, so the blocks sit in the wrong place to be truely comfortable for me.

imr

Visit site
I have a Fairfax gareth and IMHO defo worth a try. Its extremely stable on the horse, monoflapped and has a decent block at the front. Some of the blocks and the headplates are changeable which means its pretty adjustable. Its part flock and part prolite. Nice and light.