Dressage Salutes.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I have a dressage test on Sunday. Have to enter at medium walk, halt at X and salute. Then do test, and come back to G, halt and salute again. Have never done one where I've had to salute at the beginning of the test before. Would the just be the same way as I salute at the end of the test, or is it different?

At the end of the test I usually kind of nod, touch my hat, then bring my arm down to my side, before retaking the reins.

miller

Visit site
Exactly the same at both ends - as a female you just need to drop your (normally right as long as whip isn't in it) hand and nod your head

tigers_eye

Visit site
I presume from name you are female? Both salutes are the same, you should drop one arm down (make sue your whip is in the other hand if carrying one) and drop your chin - nothing too over-elaborate!

Good luck!

Governor

Visit site
I'm terrible for bad salutes...much as they are ok at the end of a practise at home I tend to ruin a nice square halt with a hurried bob of the head and swinging arm or (as I did recently) drop my reins!

Its the same at the start as at the end, although I bring the horse to halt, put my reins in my left hand (I tend to flex my fingers gently to keep the bit moving in Gov's mouth as he can get a bit pokey - just not so its noticable!) , drop my right hand straight down and nod my head.

Best thing to do is practise at home - you might get a few odd looks but its worth getting it flowing as it can complete the overall picture in my opinion. And just to make sure the horse isn't expecting a long rein and a pat straight after!

rach1984horse

Visit site
It's just for a wee Highland Pony Club show locally. Am just celebrating that I enter at medium walk, which means might be easier to keep control and won't be forced to trot round the arena before to warm up, as the last time we nearly went pinging out the other end.

Patchwork

Visit site
It sounds stupid but I was always taught to count slowly to 5 as you do the salute...
1 = Reins and whip in one hand
2 = Drop your arm
3 = Head down
4 = Head up
5 = Retake the reins.

smile.gif

PIAFFES_Sister

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds stupid but I was always taught to count slowly to 5 as you do the salute...
1 = Reins and whip in one hand
2 = Drop your arm
3 = Head down
4 = Head up
5 = Retake the reins.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats actually a really good idea! i ll be trying that!
grin.gif
laugh.gif