Dressage to music ideas

AFB

Visit site
So we're having a fun show at our yard soon and it's been arranged as basically a freestyle dressage to music.

Walk/trot required, canter optional.

Can anybody suggest a shortish tune that would suit a fairly choppy mover? I was thinking along the Disney lines might be fun, but Cinderella's bippidy boppidy boo did not end well! :D

ETA - I can make floor plan to fit & happy to canter, just need something with a reasonable rhythm.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Mary Poppins music? or the Lion King? You can usually find versions of most songs without words if you youtube it ;). A theme of some sort to tie the music in together normally makes music changes less obvious. I did one to various Marvel theme music a couple of years ago, but a lot of music from Disney can be fun and bouncy

I then use Audacity (free software) to adjust and chop the music to what I need - you can alter speed a little using that too if you need to.

AFB

Visit site
Actually really like the idea of Jingle Bells & it's seasonal which is nice - but can't stand Gangnam Style - think it would need something else cutting in though

I did think Lion King but I think someone else might have already planned to use that and don't want to duplicate/copy, will have a look at the software though as opens a lot of options if I can cut music together etc., I imagine I'm going to spend a lot more time faffing on this than intended! :D

Branna

Visit site
I did Cinderella this year as a Pas de Deux, although used the music from the new film. I've never done dressage to music before but cut this together using audacity which was reasonably straightforward!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWTpjUO33o

Others did Mary Poppins which was fun music.

I think it was Judy Reynolds that did an awesome freestyle at Olympia last year to Christmas songs but sadly I can't find a video!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Beethovens Emperor Concerto has some cracking bits for canter, never know why more people don't go classical...

How about Lilli Marlene for walk?

Oh dear there I go revealing my weird musical tastes :)

HeresHoping

Visit site
Beethovens Emperor Concerto has some cracking bits for canter, never know why more people don't go classical...

How about Lilli Marlene for walk?

Oh dear there I go revealing my weird musical tastes :)

Not weird. Perfectly sensible in my estimation. I had a notion to do a canter segment to The Dambusters when riding an enormous Maxi-cob. And Lili Bolero was great for a choppy trot.

In fact, a lot of the old English country dancing tunes have great DtM potential.

turnbuckle

Visit site
"Lili Bolero was great for a choppy trot"

Indeed. But I fear that if we ever tried kur my Galway-bred hoss would sulk on grounds of it being from the WRONG TRADITION :)

The Armalite Song might be more to his taste.

AFB

Visit site
Brilliant, thank you - I need to go off and have a listen to some as I don't know what they are off the top of my head, so will have a play around this evening and see what matches up to paces :)

LeannePip

Visit site
I did a Christmas one with the RC last year using Rudolph & Frosty the snowman which i cut together myself on Garage Band on the mac. It was really good fun and am just about to start looking at music and floor plans for this year! :D

This is it here: https://www.facebook.com/leanne.mccabe1/videos/vb.1338493424/10207983133799698/?type=3

Not weird. Perfectly sensible in my estimation. I had a notion to do a canter segment to The Dambusters when riding an enormous Maxi-cob. And Lili Bolero was great for a choppy trot.

I really want to use Damnbusters too, but haven't worked out the music to fit around it.

Slightly embarrassingly in my younger years i was in a couple of marching bands/ brass bands, we used to play loads of stuff; Great Escape, Scotland the Brave, Roxburgh, St Luis Blues, Grampian Hills etc and Dambusters was my favourite. I'd love to put something together using the old stuff we used to play but 1) they dont lend themselves that well to horses gaits and 2) its hard to find good quality versions to mess around with the timings!

AFB

Visit site
Blitznbobs - I absolutely love 'I've got no strings' so going with that - going to try and cut in some 'when I wish upon a star' for the walk and keep the theme, fingers crossed I can do this music editing malarky!

lrw0250

Visit site
I've always thought the music from Oliver would be good for this. You have Where is Love and As Long as He Needs me for walk, I'd Do Anything and Consider Yourself for trot and then Oom-Pah-Pah or Food Glorious Food for canter. FYI I've never done dressage in my life but I did numerous productions of Oliver as a kid!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Blitznbobs - I absolutely love 'I've got no strings' so going with that - going to try and cut in some 'when I wish upon a star' for the walk and keep the theme, fingers crossed I can do this music editing malarky!

Yes it's one of my favourites too, and so appropriate for dressage! Have fun