Dressage to music ready made timings

Fruitcake

Visit site
I ordered a “ready-made” package for a dressage to music test to give me something different to try. It includes the music with BPM altered for horse size (I know this is only a rough guide as it’s not bespoke) and a floor plan to match.

The music matches my horse’s rhythm in all three paces and I had great fun tonight trying it out but...

I really struggled to fit the floor plan movements into the time. I’m not just talking a few strides: I’d be half way around cantering a circle and the music would change, letting me know I should’ve been at the other end of the school in trot! I ordered the music for a 15hh horse. Horse is a 15hh Welsh Cob (cobby, traditional type). I don’t imagine he’ll cover as much ground as a more sporty 15hh horse with the same rththm and BPM.

I don’t really want to go down the bespoke route as it’s only for a bit of fun at home. I wondered if I’d be able to tweak the floor plan I was given. Does anyone have any tips for doing this?

blackislegirl

Visit site
In our position I'd start by simply riding to the music. Forget the floorplan, just ride some shapes aiming to get the transitions in time to the music. That should help you estimate your horse's metres per minute in walk, trot and canter. From which, using some basic geometry, you can work out what circles and diagonals etc you can fit in. As it's for fun, you don't have to worry about compulsory movements. I use an approximation of the 2*pi*r formula for circumference of a circle, using 3 instead of pi, so that a 20m circle is about 60m of riding, a 15m circle is 45m of riding, and so on.

Fruitcake

Visit site
In our position I'd start by simply riding to the music. Forget the floorplan, just ride some shapes aiming to get the transitions in time to the music. That should help you estimate your horse's metres per minute in walk, trot and canter. From which, using some basic geometry, you can work out what circles and diagonals etc you can fit in. As it's for fun, you don't have to worry about compulsory movements. I use an approximation of the 2*pi*r formula for circumference of a circle, using 3 instead of pi, so that a 20m circle is about 60m of riding, a 15m circle is 45m of riding, and so on.
Thanks. That’s really helpful. I’ll give that a go.

fabbydo

Visit site
Who did you get it from? I had trouble with Marvins Music. No one could make it fit and they didn't reply to my email. I just make my own now by using audacity.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
After seeing your previous post I have bought a package for Prelim for £35. Will be testing it out on Tuesday in a 60 X 20.

It was Sapphire, is that the one you used?

I played their samples for the three different tempos, and opened a second screen with a video of my horse walk, trotting and cantering. My 15.3 mare was best suited to their 17hh tempo!

fabbydo

Visit site
I have used one from Sapphire when I first did it and it was fine. A good place to start. I did find the music quality a bit tinny. I hope you enjoy DTM. I had very little interest in dressage before. It was the phase you had to do to get to the fun stuff! But DTM is brilliant. I love finding the music and creating the routine. Please let us know how you get on.

Fruitcake

Visit site
After seeing your previous post I have bought a package for Prelim for £35. Will be testing it out on Tuesday in a 60 X 20.

It was Sapphire, is that the one you used?

I played their samples for the three different tempos, and opened a second screen with a video of my horse walk, trotting and cantering. My 15.3 mare was best suited to their 17hh tempo!
Yes. That was who I used too. I did the exact same thing re the video and samples! The 15hh tempo fits my horse perfectly rhythm wise; I just think he doesn’t have a particularly long stride length. I emailed to ask for advice and they were very helpful with some ideas about cutting corners etc to change the floor plan.

I had a play around today, riding some shapes and trying to adapt the floor plan and think I’ve made some headway, although I’m still not totally there.

Fabbydo, I did consider using Audacity but it all seems a bit complicated. Is it easy enough to do?

fabbydo

Visit site
Audacity is quite straight forward. I am not great with tech but I can use it! I film myself riding my floor plan. Then I buy instrumental CDs and use them. I have a metronome thing on my phone.

oldie48

Visit site
I've had mine done bespoke but am aware that on different surfaces the horse will move a t different speeds so I would advise thinking about the compulsory movements eg a 20 m circle must be that or you'll get hammered but you can cut corners, miss off the end of the arena pretty much do whatever you want as long as the compulsory movements are accurate. I've been listening to my music endlessly so I know it inside out and exactly when the music changes. I've got a compulsory 20m circle right at th end of my trot music and realised if I am behind the music I won't complete it before the canter music kicks in so I am going to do it earlier and give myself some wriggle room. Great fun though and I am desperate to ride through it with Rose!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've had mine done bespoke but am aware that on different surfaces the horse will move a t different speeds so I would advise thinking about the compulsory movements eg a 20 m circle must be that or you'll get hammered but you can cut corners, miss off the end of the arena pretty much do whatever you want as long as the compulsory movements are accurate. I've been listening to my music endlessly so I know it inside out and exactly when the music changes. I've got a compulsory 20m circle right at th end of my trot music and realised if I am behind the music I won't complete it before the canter music kicks in so I am going to do it earlier and give myself some wriggle room. Great fun though and I am desperate to ride through it with Rose!

This is why I bought a ready made one, as even a bespoke one is not accurate every time.

The one I bought, I like because the walk is directly after the halt. My horse is inexperienced, so we get to have a walk round the arena before getting down to business :p