Dressage to music - using one tune for whole test?!

BeckyD

Visit site
I'm considering having a go at dressage to music as I've never done it before (never wanted to, bizarrely, but now have sudden urge) and I accidentally stumbled across a tune that actually seems to suit my horse for all gaits. I have never heard one tune used for a whole test - is that because judges don't like it (repetitive? lack of imagination?) or because it's not normally possible to have a song that suits a horse throughout? I suspect I may have to intersperse something else at some point (I've only just ordered the sheets so have no idea yet what is required in a floor plan).

Isn't it strange that something I've never fancied doing, suddenly seems appealing? The brain is an unfathomable thing.

dianchi

Visit site
I would say that its unlikely that it can fit all three gaits, I know that I have three pieces for my test.

Best way to test is to do your floor plan and had it videod then play music back whilst you watch you ride the test!

star

Visit site
I don't think it's possible for the beat to fit walk, trot and canter and also totally different feeling to trot and canter music. Walk and canter can be more interchangeable.

BeckyD

Visit site
Hmmm that's why it surprised me! Perhaps I was seeing a match to the beat when there wasn't one. I was judging it from when say the left foreleg hit the ground, it always did so on a beat of the tune, no matter what pace but perhaps that's the wrong thing to look at?

I was watching one of my old tests out of nostalgia and had on a tune I've fallen in love with playing on my phone (sheer coincidence, for once) and I was shocked how well it all seemed to go, so rewatched and played a few times.

Interesting what you say about music feeling different for different paces. I'll watch some tests to see what you mean. I really don't think this tune would suit medium paces, so perhaps that's the same sort of thing. It's not got enough "lift" is the only way I can describe it.

dianchi

Visit site
I had my music done by GG Jingles
I sent in a video of us riding, they sent back a demo CD with 3 or 5 different pieces for each pace, I picked the ones I wanted, sent back a video of me doing my floor plan and bish bash bosh they did the rest!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Ok I was having a chat with someone who has done a lot od DTM, in walk bandage a hind and count that leg hitting the ground in a minute, same in trot, canter choose a front.

Then look online at beat counters you can get the BPM of most tracks online.

BeckyD

Visit site
Ok I was having a chat with someone who has done a lot od DTM, in walk bandage a hind and count that leg hitting the ground in a minute, same in trot, canter choose a front.

Then look online at beat counters you can get the BPM of most tracks online.

Cool thank you! Bill will think I've really lost the plot if I just bandage one leg haha.