Dressage Tomorrow - First Time

sasquatch

Visit site
I'm at a local competition yard so thankfully no travelling, but I'm still going to have to be up early.

Will be at the yard extra early to sort B and in the hope that if he is very wet/sweaty I'll have time to dry him and plait him - we're on at half 11 I think.

I have a black show jacket, white/cream breeches, show shirt, black tall boots, am borrowing stocks and stock pin. I don't own a pair of gloves or ride in gloves though. I have a white numnah, plain browband (am guessing the one with the spanish red and yellow leather woven through it won't be acceptable) and can change him from his grackle to a plain cavesson, and he's in a loose ring so his bit is dressage legal at least.

We're doing Intro C, although I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking at the wrong test as it has a 3 loop serpentine and give and take with 2 10m circles.

will try and get pictures, I have no one coming down to help me or even spectate for me as family are busy (also need to find a caller as I am panicking about if I am learning the right test or not)

another few questions -

as it's intro, will I be penalised for not rising in my trot? I've found B is more responsive and works more from his hind end in sitting trot. I also feel like my lower leg is steadier especially on my bad leg, and especially in my tall boots. am tempted to do it in my jumping saddle as my lovely knee rolls hold me so securely.
I can rise, but find I end up flapping a bit. only problem is in sitting trot sometimes my hands will bounce and sometimes I actually think about my position and what I am doing and that's when I lose all ability to sit to my trot.

what should I do with hair? I have lost my hairnets, so would a bun that is pinned at the bottom of my hat do? my hair isn't long, it's just past my shoulders, and will usually stay when pinned and hair sprayed.

next question is would a spanish-type plait be acceptable for a horse with a mane to their shoulder? sharers have left his mane down before, which tbh I don't like as I think it ends up looking lazy and gets caught in his reins. He hasn't got any breeding, but is a LW cob and atm is unclipped and has minimal feather and beard (similar to the same amount of feather a Welsh cob would get)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
You can usually get someone at the venue to call for you. Intro has no real dress code, just be neat, business like & show your pony off. I did my Intro in tweed with a hogged pony who had a mud bath which WOULD NOT brush of before our 9am test. We came 4th.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Intro tests are based on the rider & pony looking good & moving together. No horrible moves, easy introduction. It's not a nasty experience. I f'd up leaving the ring & clampited up everything else. You'll be fine! Stop worrying.

sasquatch

Visit site
You can usually get someone at the venue to call for you. Intro has no real dress code, just be neat, business like & show your pony off. I did my Intro in tweed with a hogged pony who had a mud bath which WOULD NOT brush of before our 9am test. We came 4th.

as its at our yard, I have put a message on the yard chat to ask if anyone could call for me so hopefully someone will be able too.

he has done most of the intro tests with his sharers, and whilst he's not working round and tucking his nose in, you can see him trying to work through his back and work round as his neck is beginning to drop. his free walk is fantastic - for the walk on a loose rein, is it to the buckle end, or just lengthening the rein?

the few times we have practiced dressage involved me nearly sliding off as I forgot we were going round a corner and jumping over the white markers so as long as we don't do that and I remember my right from left we should be okay.

also - how do you do serpentine loops in a dressage arena?
have been schooling him a lot with serpentines and transitions so I am praying he doesn't think he has to do a halt to trot transition in the middle of it. I can never keep loops even.

LadySam

Visit site
It depends on how closely they stick to BD rules. BD says you can do sitting or rising trot for all tests at Elementary and below. Also says you should wear gloves, but if it's just a little unaff thing they might not worry about gloves.

As long as your hair is neat and tidy you'll be fine.

The Spanish plait thing I've wondered about myself. But again, if your horse is neat and tidy I should think it would be fine.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
For the serpentine, I usually just make sure that the "point" of the middle loop is at B/E (depending which rein you're on) and then make sure the other 2 loops are fairly even! For the first and last loop you can roughly follow the line of the corner around, but I've always been told to make it a little more "half circle like" so it's clear you're doing something other than a normal corner (if that makes sense?)

Free walk you will want to release almost to the buckle but not all the way, your contact should be long and loose but still present. You dont want to drop your horse, just allow him to take the contact down.

A spanish plait is totally acceptable for dressage. I used to do intro/prelim (and one novice :p ) dressage on my little cob with a spanish plait and we got comments on our test sheets a few times on how smartly he was turned out!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Free walk is buckle end with the horse stretching right down. Serpentine's are ridden as half circles on the corners, the straight as you cross the arena. Good luck tomorrow :)

Theocat

Visit site
Unless your sitting trot is perfect - and it doesn't sound as though it is - judges will prefer to see you rising at Intro. Definitely wear gloves. A running plait will be fine.

You have the right test - Intro C does have G&R etc. For movements, Dressage Diagrams gives you a picture of each movement rather than just an instruction, which will help for next time :)

Good luck and enjoy!

Kylara

Visit site
Free walk is not buckle end, it is a longer contact.
Don't worry too much about dress, especially if unaff.
Plait however you like, plaiting isn't required and you can plait in whatever way you please.
Good luck and enjoy!

sasquatch

Visit site
Unless your sitting trot is perfect - and it doesn't sound as though it is - judges will prefer to see you rising at Intro. Definitely wear gloves. A running plait will be fine.

You have the right test - Intro C does have G&R etc. For movements, Dressage Diagrams gives you a picture of each movement rather than just an instruction, which will help for next time :)

Good luck and enjoy!

my biggest problem with when I ride is that when I think about what I am actually meant to be doing and am actively trying to correct myself I tense up and fall apart. B goes better from your seat, but I can always just sit in the warm up and then rise for the actual test I suppose. Depends on what mood he's in as well.

am just praying we can finally get our serpentine loops even. and I will finally manage a decent running plait.

thank you all, will post an update later! I'm an idiot and meant to set an alarm so I'd be able to have a long shower to relax and have time to dry my hair properly, turns out I'd set it to go off on weekdays only. oops.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Free walk should be as much rein as he will take without losing contact. I would ride in jumping saddle if you can't maintain position in a dressage one & maybe even put stirrups up a hole if your lower leg isn't strong enough to stay put. As long as you are both tidy & smart I wouldn't worry to much about outfit. Most importantly enjoy yourself, ride forward & don't rush through the test- I normally have the best results when I've just genuinely loved riding my horse & the judges can see that :)

indie1282

Visit site
Free walk is not on the buckle.... you need the horse to stretch as far down and forward in to the contact as possible.

Only do sitting trot if you can do it well.