Dressage Trainer Hertfordshire(ish)

tristram

Visit site
I am looking for a recommendation specifically for a trainer for an enthusiastic hardworking teenager with an all rounder type (ISH) who is desperate to do more dressage. Recently had a couple of sessions with Dan Greenwood which were amazing but he is just too far away. Would prefer not to travel more than an hour from South Herts area. He is new to affiliated dressage and is currently competing novice. We cannot afford a really smart dressage type but he wants to see how far he can get with this horse. Someone recommended Dan Sheriff he is reasonably local to us. I also notice that Simon Battram does dressage clinics at Bury Farm which is not too far but I know nothing about him? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

ihatework

Visit site
I train 2-3 times a month with Simon Battram and really enjoy my lessons.

At the end of the day a lot comes down to personal preference / styles, but if you are close to Bury I would certainly recommend you give him a try.

dianchi

Visit site
Where abouts in herts are you? For starters it could be worth going to some different clinics till you find someone who clicks?

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Simon Battram is excellent, I have trained with him for 7-8 years. Equally good with my previous long backed non dressage type as my current leg-flinging Dutch WB. He is classical in his methods and is very good for correct way of going of the horse.

I also have lessons with Ali Berman who is based in S Herts - she comes to me, 2 mins from Patchetts. She used to ride Anna R-D's horses when Anna was still based in Herts. She has really helped me get my scores up competing. She works me hard and tells it how it is, and has a clear and easy to understand way of explaining things. I'm not sure I ever want to go to another show without her warming me up again! She has just had a baby so don't know if she can fit any more in but I would highly recommend her.

For clinics, there are good ones at Abbey Farm, Turvey, and sometimes Windmill. Also Breakspear RC organise clinics with Rebecca Hughes at Classic Dressage. Also keep an eye on BD site East and Central regions, lots of clinics advertised there.

Herts05

Visit site
Marcia is pregnant so may be cutting down her lessons - but do check with her.
Lisa Hopkins does lessons in Herts too.
I heard on another thread here that Simon is prone to cancelling at the last minute (but I don't have personal experience of this)

Joss

Visit site
I would definitely give Dan Sherriff a go. He is very nice & knows his stuff. I have had plenty of lessons from him, albeit quite a while ago (lived in Scotland for 8 years!!) He is quite a perfectionist and didnt allow me into canter for a the 1st few lessons - I was riding a fairly decent event horse!!

As mentioned above its all down to personal preference & you just need to try & see:)

jaijai

Visit site
Daughter has Robert Pring - he is a Grand Prix instructor but seems quite happy to teach any level. My daughter currently competes at Novice. He is a really nice guy and will travel to you. He has a website if you Google him.