Visit site
Ian Woodhead's clinics at Jane Heerbeck's yard - Thorpe Arnold
cool.gif
- assuming he's still going there
confused.gif

Baydale

Visit site
Thanks ddd, lots to think about there.

So of those mentioned who would you say was "classical"?

I've heard good things about Darryl Thickett and he's pretty local, so he's on the long list.
tongue.gif

It doesn't look like Jill Day is coming to Laughton Manor any more (I'm at Sleaford so that would have been handy), but it sounds like she could be worth getting in touch to see where else she goes.

I've had a session with Tracie Robinson through the Equine Pathway and there was a huge improvement in Hector with a very simple exercise (pity I hadn't thought of using that exercise before....
blush.gif
). Maybe I need more of that - the simple approach suits me.
smile.gif

Other trainers who have said I'm on the right lines with Hector are Jennie L-C (I won some training through the EHOA) and Stephen Clarke (encouraging comments re my training when he's judged me BE), so does that give you any clues as to who might suit me, or am I clutching at straws there?
crazy.gif

ddd

Visit site
Dosen't sound like you need much if J L-C and Stephen Clarke both liked your way of going. Stephen would be great to train with but probably too far for you, he is very down to earth and very knowledgeable, I have trained with him many times and would go back like a shot if I could get to him.

I know a lot of the trainers as riders and competitors but have not seen many of them teach so difficult to know how good they are on that front and you can only go on the results of their pupils rather than their own riding.

Obviously I am biased towards Jill as she takes a clinic at my yard every week and I have watched her regularly but there must be some good ones round you, how far are you prepared to travel and how often do you want them, what facilities do you have, you might be able to organise your own clinics and that way you could ask whoever you wanted to see if they would come to you, book it on a one off to start with and then if you like them book again if not look for someone else, most freelance will come for 5 -6 riders. This is how I got Jill in first place, she was 3rd one I tried.

The BD database will tell you who is freelance and how far they will travel.

Baydale

Visit site
Hmmm, it's a pity that those two trainers are so far away; I think I'm stuck in a rut and could do with their kind of inspiration.

I need to find someone within 1-1.5hr's travelling distance, with the plan of going once a month this time of year, probably more often during the season. I've got decent facilities here but know from past experience that me travelling to them is easier than trying to organise them to come here! Will get my ear to the ground and see what I can find out about those on the long list. Thanks for your help.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Carrie Adams and Andrew Day. But I dont click with Andrew and also he had a friend of mine (18 year old) riding her newly backed 3yo in draw reins, really goes against my thinking, and within a few weeks 3yo was blocking in front of the whither terribly. Horse didnt need them and rider certainly didnt have the experience or seat for them.
Carrie I know as a friend but never seen her teach but have heard good reports from other sources. And also had very good reports on Jill Day, and I like the fact she used to be head of BD training

sw123

Visit site
I have watched numerous Ian Woodhead lessons at Jane's yard and also at Kenneths/Leire. He is effective but I always feel its a real factory - he sits in the corner, horse comes in is taught, next comes in is taught, enxt comes in is taught etc. No time for chat etc.....

I use Hannah Esberger Shepherd and i think she is absolutely fabulous. She's also tiny, but successfully competes big horses at top levels whcih to me means they have to be brilliantly trained because she doesnt have teh strength for them not to be. She's very blunt - i had a run of good marks and was warming up for a lesson and she said is this how he was going, i said yes, she said well the judges were crap!!! But she wants you to get every single possible mark you can and shows you how to work for every one whilst also building and improving teh foundations. She doesnt just praise everything but then you also know when she does she means it. Shes always keen to have a ride too.

I'm not sure where you are Nicky but she does clinics once a month at Emilie Chandler's yard near Grantham (Stathern). She's also not "too" well known in eventing which is fab - Ian's clinics were always ripe with gossip and who aws riding what and how it was going, hannahs aren't! Think she's £35 for 45mins and theyr'e so intensive i cant ususally walk the next day!!

If you want info on the ones at em's let me know !!

www.hannahesbergershepherd.co.uk

Baydale

Visit site
Thanks sw123, I knew that Emilie had lessons with her but assumed she went to her, not that she came to Stathern. I'm only at Sleaford so it would be easy to get there. Please can you let me have some more details, dates etc, assuming it's ok for me to tag onto Emilie's sessions?

ddd

Visit site
I would recommend Hannah, she is very good rider and has had some really difficult horses in the past which she has got a good tune out of. I have not seen her teach but she is on BD database and has trained to International Small Tour level which if you are eventing would be higher than advanced eventing.

Julie Frizzell has good coaching tecniques but she has no training record i.e. she has only trained to a low level and probably not enough experience to give you the help you need.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I talked to a couple of people who use Hannah re the EP and they spoke very highly of her. I tend to think a dressage trainer with experience teaching eventing, or even eventing him/herself is a better option than someone who does only "straight" dressage. (No pun intended . .
wink.gif
)

sw123

Visit site
Hannah has evented - she ahd a horse called Just For Fun as thats why she did it!! She does say she wouldnt do it again but i've seen her at events warming clients up etc and also then staying to watch so she is still interested, definitely always helps!