Dressage training NE Scotland?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I'd like to find an instructor in Aberdeenshire/Angus. Have been recommended Erik Mackechnie and also seen recommendations for Pam Millar. Anyone have experience with these or recommendations for others? I'm getting a bit frustrated with my riding - competing at Novice and I know the horse is capable of more but I think 99% of the reason we can't progress is me, so looking for a trainer who will be very gentle with the horse and very firm with me!
Thanks in advance!

Zuzan

Visit site
I travel down to Dunbar to train with Catherine Marshall at Whitesands Equestrian.. I'm in North Highlands.. sounds extreme but it's really worthwhile .. and unique.. we go down for "Blocks" of lessons as travel time for horse is circa 5 hours each way! I find the blocks work well.. time to go away and practice and time during the blocks to develop and take us up a step or two.. Catherine runs day clinics (she's just had one so not sure when the next will be) so probably worth going to watch .. pm me if you want to know more or as you probably know I am on Phoenix Forum.

Britestar

Visit site
Contact BD Scotland, they bring up loads of trainers. Paul Hayler, Harry Payne and others.

Look at local RC websites, they often have trainers up - Erik Mackechnie, Daniel Scott etc plus use a range of local people too.

The Cabin run regulars training as do Fountain - get in touch with any of them.

There are loads of trainers up here.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks - I'm not really after just names but rather feedback and experiences with particular trainers. I'd like someone who is very focussed on rider position and body use. I can't afford to have a lesson with every trainer that services this area so I'd like to narrow it down to a small number before looking to go and watch their teaching or book some training.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I worked alongside Erik at Gleneagles, and he was very very good.

The latest I have seen him teach was at a clinic day for endurance riders.... interesting to watch and he had the patience of a saint lets just put it that way ;)

Britestar

Visit site
Thanks - I'm not really after just names but rather feedback and experiences with particular trainers. I'd like someone who is very focussed on rider position and body use. I can't afford to have a lesson with every trainer that services this area so I'd like to narrow it down to a small number before looking to go and watch their teaching or book some training.

Riding Club provide the ideal situation then - contact them and ask who they use, and maybe ask if you can go along to watch some training sessions.

Rebecca Stephen is very good, and also Eilidh Grant, both young but very on the ball regarding position and the influence the rider on the horse.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Riding Club provide the ideal situation then - contact them and ask who they use, and maybe ask if you can go along to watch some training sessions.

Rebecca Stephen is very good, and also Eilidh Grant, both young but very on the ball regarding position and the influence the rider on the horse.

Thanks - do you know which club/s they teach for?

PorkChop

Visit site
I can recommend Jean Stephen, based near Oldmeldrum.

Have heard good things about Erik Mackechnie, but haven't seen him teach.

Britestar

Visit site
Buchan use, Rebecca, Julia Gourlay, Erik, Daniel and on occasion Eilidh. Its on their FB page, or their website.

NERC also use most of the above too I think.

Ladyleys have regular sessions too, check their website.

BRC have regular wed eve's through the winter, and some weekends too. Erik is up 4th Sept.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks for all of these, I will check them out. I'm nearly in Angus and the clubs mentioned all seem to be north of Aberdeen (it's a horrible drive - roll on the WPR!) so ideally wanting someone who doesn't mind coming to me - I have a nice arena!

rachk89

Visit site
Stephen cruickshank is a very good trainer had lessons from him before. He travels anywhere.

Had a lesson from Erik mackechnie too and again he is very good. No issues with him.

There is a new guy up here called Alastair parkin and he is brilliant especially for issues on your position. Doesn't let you off with anything poor guy has his work cut out with me but he has been the only person so far to spot that I tilt my head badly. He travels I believe.

Never tried harry Payne or pam millar I am afraid.

There is also a woman called viv who is great and makes you work very hard. I don't know her last name though sorry.

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Erik is at Brechin Sunday 7th August. Why don't you pop along and see his lessons there. He is fab. Val at Brechin was advertising some last minute lessons with him if you wanted to just take the plunge. Strathmore Riding Club must be more your area and they will have loads of ideas too I'm sure.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I believe Nic and Fran (forum members) of Diamonds in the Rough Dressage use Harry Payne, and they're both very lovely riders (Fran and her last horse competed at Grand Prix).

Britestar

Visit site
Thanks for all of these, I will check them out. I'm nearly in Angus and the clubs mentioned all seem to be north of Aberdeen (it's a horrible drive - roll on the WPR!) so ideally wanting someone who doesn't mind coming to me - I have a nice arena!

In that case try Tayside dressage Group. They have regulars every couple of weeks.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I like Niamh Meehan - she teaches at Ladyleys EC near Oldmeldrum. Julia Gourley is good for youngsters. I dont generally do the training with visiting trainers as I find them very expensive usually and prefer to try and keep to the same one for a while. Local RC's offer training but Ive found they change the instructors often which is a bit annoying.

sarahann1

Visit site
If you're more Angus way, what about Richard Telford? He teaches at Inchcoonans and is really very good. Jane Gilchrist is also great at picking apart your position and putting it together again, but in a constructive way, I really rate her :)