Dressage turnout

Dumbo

Visit site
I'm doing my first real dressage show next sunday... Yikes...

I'm really confused as to what I should wear.
I have beige breeches and either a black jacket or a tweed.

Which jacket?
Can i wear beige breeches or do they have to be white?
Then do I need a stock shirt and stock? In white? Or a tie?

Can my horse wear overreach boots?

TIA

ihatework

Visit site
No to over reach boots.

Beige breeches are fine

Either jacket is fine

With a black/blue jacket a white/cream stock would be more correct (but you will be fine with a tie)

If wearing tweed either a tie or a coloured stock

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Sorry to hijack OP - but PM haven't heard from you on here for a while. Still diva-ing? :)
Nope. :( No longer have a horse to ride as owner is now competing Spring. Was a little sad today when I received email from BD confirming his winter regional qual which we gained before doing the summer regionals. Not been able to find another share horse around Northampton as yet
On the plus side I now have a 30 foot yacht to play with on the east coast (shared, what else :) )

eggs

Visit site
Generally a tweed jacket is worn at preliminary and novice with either a tie or stock and a black or navy jacket with a stock at elementary and above but this isn't a definite rule. You can also wear an American collar shirt without a stock.

Beige jods are absolutely fine.

Don't forget - you must wear gloves.

You can get the rules on clothing, etc from the British Dressage website.

Good luck for Sunday..

SPSP

Visit site
Black jacket is more correct, as is a stock rather than a tie. At the lower levels you'll be fine with tweed and tie though, whatever you're more comfortable in I suppose! Go for a plain white hunting stock- it's the easiest to pull off and personally I think looks a lot better than the patterned ones. Just make sure everything is neat and tidy and fairly conservative and I doubt anyone will mind if something's not completely correct! Good luck!

khalswitz

Visit site
Black jacket is more correct, as is a stock rather than a tie. At the lower levels you'll be fine with tweed and tie though, whatever you're more comfortable in I suppose! Go for a plain white hunting stock- it's the easiest to pull off and personally I think looks a lot better than the patterned ones. Just make sure everything is neat and tidy and fairly conservative and I doubt anyone will mind if something's not completely correct! Good luck!

Technically at prelim/novice tweed is more correct, and navy (for women) for Elem up til tailcoats come in… and tweed is equally correct with a tie or coloured stock. But both are fine really. The fashion seems to be black (which really isn't correct on women), but fashion and tradition are by nature not the same…

OP - rules are either tweed with tie and coloured stock, or navy/black with white/cream stock and GLOVES with either. Breeches to be pale, although technically white is correct with black/navy whilst beige is correct with tweed, but doesn't hugely matter.

One thing to check is that your tack is all correct (a friend of mine got E'd for using elastic insert reins without realising they were illegal), and you may need bridle numbers depending on how strictly your venue/club follows BD rules (have been picked up on that at RC before).

Good luck!!

kc100

Visit site
Technically at prelim/novice tweed is more correct, and navy (for women) for Elem up til tailcoats come in… and tweed is equally correct with a tie or coloured stock. But both are fine really. The fashion seems to be black (which really isn't correct on women), but fashion and tradition are by nature not the same…

OP - rules are either tweed with tie and coloured stock, or navy/black with white/cream stock and GLOVES with either. Breeches to be pale, although technically white is correct with black/navy whilst beige is correct with tweed, but doesn't hugely matter.

One thing to check is that your tack is all correct (a friend of mine got E'd for using elastic insert reins without realising they were illegal), and you may need bridle numbers depending on how strictly your venue/club follows BD rules (have been picked up on that at RC before).

Good luck!!

Tailcoats are not allowed until Advanced/PSG....

With dressage, you can pretty much wear whatever you choose as long as it is not a garish colour. Here is the section on dress from the rulebook just so we are all clear:

43. Dress
Advanced Tests – tail coat with protective hat or top hat, or short jacket with protective hat, both with correctly tied white/cream stock or tie. Uniform may be worn with protective hat or uniform cap.

Introductory to Advanced Medium Tests (including FEI Junior tests) – uniform, short jacket or tweed coat with correctly tied stock, white American Collar or shirt and tie, and protective hat.

As long as the core dress rules are adhered to, embellishments and additions to any item of dress are permitted as long as they do not pose a welfare risk to the horse.

44. Coats/Jackets
Tail coats and short jackets may be any conservative, dark colour, eg black, navy, bottle green, charcoal grey, brown, etc, and may not be multi*coloured or boldly striped. Subtle pinstripes are permitted, as are coloured collars and contrast piping to collar, lapels, pockets and vents. The red collar on a navy jacket used by the British team may not be used. Tweed jackets may not be brightly coloured or have loud patterns. Logos level with the breast pocket are permitted on jackets but must not exceed 80 square cm (9cm x9cm approx).

At the discretion of the organiser or judge, competitors may ride without coats in excessively hot weather, but a suitable long/short sleeved shirt that fastens at the neck (not bright or multicoloured) with a tie, American collar or correctly fastened stock must be worn. A fitted, plain, conservative *coloured waistcoat may be worn when permission has been granted not to wear coats.

Plain, dark* coloured waterproof coats may be worn in wet weather.

47. Breeches/Jodhpurs
Breeches or jodhpurs are to be plain white, cream or beige, except when worn with official uniform, when they may be of the uniform colour.

48. Gloves
Gloves are to be worn.

49. Boots
Boots are to be black, brown or the same colour as the coat and may be long or jodhpur boots. Gaiters of the same leather as the boots may be worn. Traditional/patent top boots may be worn, but multi*-coloured or patterned boots are not permitted.

So in a nutshell OP - read the rules above (there is some varying advice on here so best to stick with the rule book!) and then make your choice based on personal preference. Beige jods are absolutely fine, as is a black or tweed jacket (providing the tweed doesnt have any bright colours in it). Any coloured gloves are fine, just make sure you wear gloves.

In terms of boots & bandages for your horse - none are allowed in the actual test itself but are permitted for the warm up. If you are competing outside then a fly veil is allowed, if the test is indoor then you must take it off. Saddle cloth/numnah must be white/cream or a dark conservative colour (no bright colours).

Here is the link to the full 2014 rule book if you need any further info:
http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/uploads/File/Rules 2014/BD Rule Book 2014 for Web Download.pdf

khalswitz

Visit site
Tailcoats are not allowed until Advanced/PSG....

Hence why I said 'up til tailcoats come in'… navy is correct from Elem up to that point.

But 'legal' and 'correct' according to tradition are two different things, as I was saying, so black seems to be more prevalent even though navy is more correct… but either are legal. Up til AM legally you can use tweed, but it's only traditionally correct at prelim/novice…

ALSO, if competing under BRC rules, the dress code is different…

From the BRC rulebook:

"Jodhpurs & Breeches

White, cream or beige breeches or jodhpurs

Boots

Plain black or brown which may also be top boots or jodhpur boots. The boots should be a traditional style. Gaiters may be worn providing they are of identical leather to the boots and have no decoration of any sort

Jackets, Shirts & Body Protectors

Jacket may be dark blue or black with white stock. Tweed jacket with coloured stock or collar and tie. White stocks, white American collar or white shirts with collar and tie may be worn. Body protectors may be worn. If worn, it should be fitted and worn as per the manufacturers’ guidelines.

Hair & Jewellery

Hair must be neatly secured and MUST not hang lower than the shoulder line when standing normally. Any item of jewellery or alternative medical treatment wrist bands must be covered up by clothing or gloves, if they cannot be removed, at the riders own risk.

Gloves

Gloves must be worn"

So your 'other conservative colours' of jackets would be illegal, for example.

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
Wow. Anyway......

Sorry, did I come off as being a bit rude to get that? Genuine question - I thought I was just being anal, other than being a stickler for tradition, I know friends that have been pulled up at BRC comps for wearing BD legal but non-BRC legal gear like patent top boots or dark brown jackets so it is important to make the distinction I feel, but if my tone was off I do apologise…